Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums
Jason Carr

8.7-beta-1 Released

Recommended Posts

Beta 4 is out now with separate options for showing playlists in the list of platforms and/or underneath a platform category:

image.thumb.png.565729436da22e27cce20ffb77a77ef8.pngThis way, we can please both folks who want it the old way with them listed under platforms as well as folks who only want them listed under the Arcade platform category. I think the latter makes the most sense, because the genre playlists are Arcade-specific. Of course, you can set up your playlists however you like. If you delete and recreate your playlists though, they will now be configured to only show up under the Arcade platform category and not in the general platforms list.

I still plan to release 8.7 official in the next few days, assuming the issues are confirmed to be solved and nothing new comes up.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Jason!

Does anyone know if Custom Fields are callable in Views? If so, any chance we can see them in Playlists, Platforms, and Platform Categories?

For Example, in Chicuelo I had to use an existing field inside the Platform to get a custom header which could have been solved with Custom Field.

Edited by Kevin_Flynn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Beta 4 is out now with separate options for showing playlists in the list of platforms and/or underneath a platform category:

image.thumb.png.565729436da22e27cce20ffb77a77ef8.pngThis way, we can please both folks who want it the old way with them listed under platforms as well as folks who only want them listed under the Arcade platform category. I think the latter makes the most sense, because the genre playlists are Arcade-specific. Of course, you can set up your playlists however you like. If you delete and recreate your playlists though, they will now be configured to only show up under the Arcade platform category and not in the general platforms list.

I still plan to release 8.7 official in the next few days, assuming the issues are confirmed to be solved and nothing new comes up.

This explains why they were gone. Thanks for bringing it back. I was too busy to investigate on it and was planning to reporting it soon, thinking it was a bug.

This is necessary for me because some games are spread across multiple platforms due to superior versions being available on a different platform. I have a Arcade Fighting Game platform category for easy access in Big Box and this only includes 2D fighting games. King of Fighters '98 UM (the best version), for example, is only available on Steam so it does not show up under Arcade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Beta 4 is out now with separate options for showing playlists in the list of platforms and/or underneath a platform category:

image.thumb.png.565729436da22e27cce20ffb77a77ef8.pngThis way, we can please both folks who want it the old way with them listed under platforms as well as folks who only want them listed under the Arcade platform category. I think the latter makes the most sense, because the genre playlists are Arcade-specific. Of course, you can set up your playlists however you like. If you delete and recreate your playlists though, they will now be configured to only show up under the Arcade platform category and not in the general platforms list.

I still plan to release 8.7 official in the next few days, assuming the issues are confirmed to be solved and nothing new comes up.

This is great!  I can finally use platform categories without clogging up the platform list.  Thank you!

Would you ever consider allowing a playlist or platform to be in multiple platform categories?  (So for example you could have a "Handhelds" category and  "Nintendo Handhelds" category.  With that kind of flexibility you almost wouldn't need folders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding the arcade playlists, would it be possible to not have them count against the total for the platform category if they're represented in multiple categories? Like in this screenshot, I've only got 2475 actual arcade roms, but because of the redundancy of totaling the playlists, it shows 9209 at the top.

Capture.PNG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found something that might be missing. When clicking edit playlist, then sort by, you cannot sort games by custom fields.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would echo Fistydollars’ point about the total game counts - the total game count is useful to know how many actual games you have for a platform, and including duplicates as contained in various playlists doesn’t seem to fit with this. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Kevin_Flynn said:

Thanks Jason!

Does anyone know if Custom Fields are callable in Views? If so, any chance we can see them in Playlists, Platforms, and Platform Categories?

For Example, in Chicuelo I had to use an existing field inside the Platform to get a custom header which could have been solved with Custom Field.

This is something that I think is currently missing iirc. Hint, hint to plugin developers, it would be pretty useful to build a plugin control to be able to pull custom field info. ;)

Otherwise, it is on my list. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, alnyden said:

This is great!  I can finally use platform categories without clogging up the platform list.  Thank you!

Would you ever consider allowing a playlist or platform to be in multiple platform categories?  (So for example you could have a "Handhelds" category and  "Nintendo Handhelds" category.  With that kind of flexibility you almost wouldn't need folders.

I think we'll probably wait until we implement the full folder solution. In the mean time, I think you can just create two separate playlists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, FistyDollars said:

Regarding the arcade playlists, would it be possible to not have them count against the total for the platform category if they're represented in multiple categories? Like in this screenshot, I've only got 2475 actual arcade roms, but because of the redundancy of totaling the playlists, it shows 9209 at the top.

Capture.PNG

I will add this to the list to fix, though I think we'll wait until the 8.8 betas as I need to get the 8.7 fix release out.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took a break from LB for about 8 months and have come back to a load of cool features and I finally got MAME imported using the new wizard..

I just wanted to check something that is probably fine but if not then I’ve pointed out a glitch, but it’s probably the later.

I’ve got a LB installation on the go for a friend, 5 platforms added and LB displays them as Platform is selected. I added MAME and also selected create playlists for Namco classics etc.

After the import where the 5 system were being displayed Arcade has appeared but also all the playlists, or am I mistaken and these lists are considered platforms?

I think not though because I see there is a playlist view within LB which has all the newly created MAME playlists.

I’m not at my PC right now so can’t tell you the exact beta version I’m on but can add it later

Let me know if you can

Thanks

 

I see that I should have scanned this post as it’s been addressed 🤪

 

Edited by InfinityFox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8.7 release is out already (?) and I don't seem to find what is new in it...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, NLS said:

8.7 release is out already (?) and I don't seem to find what is new in it...

 

Just some bug fixes, no new features.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NLS said:

8.7 release is out already (?) and I don't seem to find what is new in it...

 

You can always take a look under Help > Changelog.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/8/2018 at 8:17 PM, Jason Carr said:

Beta 4 is out now with separate options for showing playlists in the list of platforms and/or underneath a platform category:

image.thumb.png.565729436da22e27cce20ffb77a77ef8.pngThis way, we can please both folks who want it the old way with them listed under platforms as well as folks who only want them listed under the Arcade platform category. I think the latter makes the most sense, because the genre playlists are Arcade-specific. Of course, you can set up your playlists however you like. If you delete and recreate your playlists though, they will now be configured to only show up under the Arcade platform category and not in the general platforms list.

I still plan to release 8.7 official in the next few days, assuming the issues are confirmed to be solved and nothing new comes up.

Hi @Jason Carr, thanks for all your good work! Is it possible to show the playlist inside a system, maybe in the alphabetical search? You know what I mean? I think it's too messy to see them in platform categories or in the platform list.

Edited by Fablog
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fablog said:

Hi @Jason Carr, thanks for all your good work! Is it possible to show the playlist inside a system, maybe in the alphabetical search? You know what I mean? I think it's too messy to see them in platform categories or in the platform list.

Not currently. One of the items from the poll is support for multiple levels of custom nested folders/filters. That is planned for soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @Jason Carr

I've just been trying to use the new LBPlex theme with Launchbox.Next on a CRT setup. The resolution of the display is PAL interlaced (something like 720x576).

It's looking pretty cool, but I'm running into two issues, see the attached picture:

1. The left sidebar is too big for the playlist names and takes too much area; I would like to move it to the left, but it's already at the minimum size 🙁.

2. The clear logos are beautiful, but too big displayed. I want to size them smaller, but the slider is already at the smallest position.

I would greatly appreciate if you could alleviate both restrictions, such that the LBPlex theme can also be enjoyed to its fullest on CRT setups too. 🙂

If that would interfere with how high-res setups would function, possibly you can make a switch/setting, that alleviates the above two restrictions when turned on? I just want to enjoy LB.Next and LBPlex on my CRT setup.

Hopefully this is possible.
 

screenshot2_cropped.png

Edited by Rod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a doubt. Because some Arcade games are imported for example with the name "Buggy Boy / Speed Buggy" and the primary name in the database is just "Buggy Boy"?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×