LaunchBox Community Forums

WootLauncher: Bezel Overlay & Pause Menu

I've played some of those that don't officially support save states in MAME, but then they also work most of the time anyways.  I think it's more of a "not completely 100% working in some cases, but usually does so we need to have a disclaimer" type of things.  You are doing this all on your own?  I remember when Jason said this couldn't really be done without insanity inducing difficulty, so he wouldn't really go down that path.  But you seem to be doing quite well lol.

Edited by damageinc86
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, damageinc86 said:

I've played some of those that don't officially support save states in MAME, but then they also work most of the time anyways.  I think it's more of a "not completely 100% working in some cases, but usually does so we need to have a disclaimer" type of things.  You are doing this all on your own?  I remember when Jason said this couldn't really be done without insanity inducing difficulty, so he wouldn't really go down that path.  But you seem to be doing quite well lol.

That's good to know, and I should be able to add savestate support to the pause menu for MAME. Yeah, I'm just doing this on my own. The tricky part is capturing the emulator window, but once that's done I can exert enough control over it to do these things. The plugin interacts with emulators using AHK, so the interface is limited to things for which the emulators has hotkey support.

4 hours ago, Kondorito said:

@eatkinola out of curiosity, how are the bezels being implemented? RL style with a cfg with coordinates, MAME style with a lay file, RA style? 

The bezels are a very simple overlay of PNG images with areas of transparency; there is no special positioning involved. I recommend using the overlay (and filter etc) mechanisms built into MAME and RA, and consider the WootLauncher overlays as a way to provide overlays for emulators that don't support them (e.g., Dolphin).

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, eatkinola said:

The bezels are a very simple overlay of PNG images with areas of transparency; there is no special positioning involved. I recommend using the overlay (and filter etc) mechanisms built into MAME and RA, and consider the WootLauncher overlays as a way to provide overlays for emulators that don't support them (e.g., Dolphin).

Awesome! I have quite a few high res photographs of arcade cabinets when you stand before them but a lot of these games dont run well in mame, this way they can finally be put to good use in the future.

Going to be keeping an eye on this as I've been looking for something like this.

I know you said it supports Retroarch cores, but does it also support core functions like cheats, controller remapping, or would we have to bypass the overlay and reach into the Retroarch overlay for that kind of stuff?

2 hours ago, Cypher said:

I know you said it supports Retroarch cores, but does it also support core functions like cheats, controller remapping, or would we have to bypass the overlay and reach into the Retroarch overlay for that kind of stuff?

No, it doesn't support that level of detail, you would need to use the retroarch menus for those things.

I like many others am really excited to see where this ends up. Thank you!

Could I ask whether there are any plans with Jason to integrate the work you've done for the plugin within the core Launchbox/BigBox code? Just thinking that Jason has already said he will eventually deliver a Pause and Fade functionality, and I'm wondering what overlap between that work and yours is possible or desirable in the interests of pooling together resources and effort?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mike Stewart said:

Could I ask whether there are any plans with Jason to integrate the work you've done for the plugin within the core Launchbox/BigBox code? Just thinking that Jason has already said he will eventually deliver a Pause and Fade functionality, and I'm wondering what overlap between that work and yours is possible or desirable in the interests of pooling together resources and effort?

I'm not sure @Jason Carr would want to integrate this into BB, but I can talk it over with him if he wants.

• Like 1

Cool. Just wondered if there had been any discussions as of yet. Jason may of course have a different vision on how he wishes to have a Pause and Fade type functionality built into the core Launchbox/BigBox code. Thanks again for your plugin, I can imagine many people are going to be all over this when it's released.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2018 at 4:07 AM, eatkinola said:

No, it doesn't support that level of detail, you would need to use the retroarch menus for those things.

Bit if a bummer, but understandable. I can see me getting a lot of use out of this for Dolphin, PCSX2, RPCS3, and Cemu, especially when it comes to KISS methods of exiting games.

16 hours ago, Kondorito said:

@eatkinola, do you have any updates? Even if it is only a "everything is developing great".

I promise you I am trying to behave and wait patiently, but I cant; I am too excited for this project.

*starts drinking linden tea to calm down*

Made a bit more progress. Currently supports RetroArch (all the cores I've tested), MAME, Dolphin, Demul, and PCSX2 -- those are all the emus I use and hence tested, but I'm pretty sure it'll support other emus you throw at it. When I release it, I'll include instructions for configuring to work with other emus you might use; it's pretty simple to setup. Refined the fade-in to game a bit more. It currently only works with BigBox, but when Jason adds a feature I requested to the plugin API it should also work with LaunchBox. Hopefully I can release a beta version in a few weeks; can always add more features later once I get more feedback.

10 hours ago, misterlamide said:

This would be awesome!

I hope so!

8 hours ago, androtaz08 said:

Can't wait for this Plugin to be released! Would be willing to test on windows 10.

That'd be great. I've received a little feedback from W10 users but could certainly use more.

• Thanks 1