LaunchBox Community Forums
RandyMackDaddy

One N64 Rom pausing.

It may be Project 64, try m64p a try and see if it happens with that emulator. Project 64 was a great emulator for its time and is still fairly decent but m64p has surpassed it in both ease of use and emulation quality.

https://m64p.github.io/

A few problems. At first opening, it was stuttering at half speed. Sound skipping as well. Where am I changing settings? Second,I didn't see an emulator listed so I chose mupen64. Is that the same? After adding the platform in launchbox I received this error.

20180909_140435.jpg

My settings are all stock with it, it could be that your PC isn't fast enough for Mupen64plus, PJ64 has lower requirements.

6 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

My settings are all stock with it, it could be that your PC isn't fast enough for Mupen64plus, PJ64 has lower requirements.

I have a fast gaming PC and I can tell you Mupen64 is garbage.  Really I don't see what the big deal is with PJ64 and it's nag box.  If you use Launchbox you don't get it and if you have to change settings you can edit the ini file.  Too me I stick with PJ64 as some games just crash in retroarch and Mupen64 video stutters all the time.

1 hour ago, TonyRamirez said:

I have a fast gaming PC and I can tell you Mupen64 is garbage.

You're entitled to your opinion but you are wrong. M64p is hands down out the box the most compatible and easy to use N64 emulator out there right now.

21 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

You're entitled to your opinion but you are wrong. M64p is hands down out the box the most compatible and easy to use N64 emulator out there right now.

No problem.  I just messed around with M64p with the Retroarch cores and even messed around with the standalone M64p and I find the performance lacking compared to P64.  Of course I still can't believe the sorry state of N64 emulation and don't even get me started on Saturn.  It seems the higher end systems like Dreamcast (redreem), Gamecube, Wii, PS2 have better emulation than the last gen systems.

Edited by TonyRamirez
corrected ps4 mistype to ps2

I have just been playing Pilotwings 64 in retroarch with the mupen64plus core, it was running flawlessly, and at 4K to boot. So nothing wrong with that core at all.

5 hours ago, TonyRamirez said:

No problem.  I just messed around with M64p with the Retroarch cores and even messed around with the standalone M64p and I find the performance lacking compared to P64.  Of course I still can't believe the sorry state of N64 emulation and don't even get me started on Saturn.  It seems the higher end systems like Dreamcast (redreem), Gamecube, Wii, PS4 have better emulation than the last gen systems.

PJ64 is the faster emulator but without tweaking its plugins it's just not as compatible as Mupen64 or Retroarchs Parallel core.

Saturn emulation is great with Mednafen but because of how complex the Saturn hardware was (essentially 2 cpus and 2 video processors) it requires a fast CPU to do it well.

Redream as good as it is still missing support for quite a lot of games (WinCE).

Gamecube and Wii emulation is great, I will give them that.

PS4 emulation though is non existent, maybe you meant PS3 or PS2. PS3 emulation is still very much a work in progress and requires a beefy system to the small handful of games it runs. PS2 emulation is in the same state as N64 or even worse with all of its per game configuring you have to do.

I am using these cores in PJ64

https://github.com/gonetz/GLideN64/issues/1574

I tried them in Mupen64GUI but I had video judder issues with vysnc on and Star Wars Rouge Squad had massive graphic corruption, in retroarch it crashes and only PJ64 can run it properly with the GlideN64 WIP plugins.

With Retroarch which can run simpler games like Mario 64 and Zelda 64 the Mupen core again as video judder with vsync on but the parallel_n64_libretro runs it smooth.

I also upscale everything so I get at least 1080p HD graphics in N64.  Maybe Mupen64 works better at native Parallel  core at 480p which with a gaming PC I won't bother with i want to play it in 1080p or higher.

Edited by TonyRamirez

6 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

PS4 emulation though is non existent, maybe you meant PS3 or PS2. PS3 emulation is still very much a work in progress and requires a beefy system to the small handful of games it runs. PS2 emulation is in the same state as N64 or even worse with all of its per game configuring you have to do.

Sorry stupid bad typing I meant PS2 emulation.