LaunchBox Community Forums

Questions About Windows 10 For LaunchBox Performance

bvcbcvbcvbcvbvcbvcbcv

2 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

That all depends on the MB and the bios already on it but generally speaking you wont see any performance games. It may in some rare cases increase stability if you install a new piece of hardware that for some strange reason has an incompatibility issue and a bios update can fix that.

PC shops would do it because they can easily do it and it's low risk to them and eliminates any potential incompatibilities at the time of building a PC.

The real risk comes usually from noobs flashing the incorrect bios they downloaded because they got the MB model wrong in the downloader. Updating MB bios is difficult or super high risk but there is some and people not used to doing it are inherently more prone to messing it up.

So me updating it it probably won't boost Windows 10 performance, or Big Box performance then.

5 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Nope.

It might actually be up to date already now that I think about it. It was actually a replacement to a Gigabyte motherboard that originally came with my PC that failed like only a few months ago after about 5 years of constant use, and being the fact that mobos of that generation are obsolete, and discontinued, then that means no more firmware updates would be published, so my local PC shop probably upgraded it to the latest, and last version of the firmware it will ever have when they installed it in my PC.

• 2 months later...

@Lordmonkus I saw your Increasing Big Box Performance tutorial in the troubleshooting section of the forums. I think you should also make a Fresh Installing Windows 10 For Big Box guide for people who plan on only using their PC's for retro gaming. That way, people who are starting fresh will know exactly what they need, and don't, as in what software to install, what drivers they need for the best experience, and which ones they can ignore as you don't need every single driver for every single component in your computer. That way, it can be slim lined, and set up exclusively for Big Box!

There is nothing more I could add that guide doesn't cover.

There are just way too many different hardware combinations for me to write a "hard" guide on. Keep your hardware drivers up to date and disable the services you don't need and only the end user can determine which ones those would be using blackvipers guide.

@Lordmonkus I also keep running into problems when I'm trying to remove all Telemetry from Windows. The Spy Bot Anti Beacon you linked is no good any longer because they now lock some features behind a pay wall, meaning that the free version doesn't block, or remove ALL Telemetry, so I tried programs like Destroy Windows Spying that apparently rips every trace of Telemetry out of the OS, but it seems like the OS get's really unstable when trying to block everything. Another issue is that when I use the IoBit Advance System Care StartUp Manager, things seem to be wonky when I remove everything from starting at Windows boot by removing everything from the startup tab, and deleting all the entries out of the Task Scheduler section. Also I used MSConfig, and tried to set the option to load only basic Microsoft Services at Windows Boot to disable everything to make it as bare bones as possible, but then nothing seems to work anymore, and even when re enabling things, it seems to stay broken until I fresh re install.

Honestly, the vast majority of those utilities that claim to 'tune' your OS installation just cause more trouble than they are worth. When others come to me about Windows 10 tuning, I only reference two things. I carefully use the O&O Windows 10 Shutup app and Black Vipers service listings for the OS you are tuning. Even then, you must be careful what you disable. Read up on each thing you turn off/disable before you do it.