LaunchBox Community Forums

I can't make 8.7 work

Bodine Grunch

No, it's not better than what you got but it's actually not too far off of your system, especially if you threw a dedicated graphics card in the system I linked. The one I linked doesn't have a dedicated GPU but the 2200G is an APU which means it has a GPU built into the CPU and is pretty good for how cheap it is, but that would add another 100-200$ on to the price depending on what card was added in.

9 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

No, it's not better than what you got but it's actually not too far off of your system, especially if you threw a dedicated graphics card in the system I linked. The one I linked doesn't have a dedicated GPU but the 2200G is an APU which means it has a GPU built into the CPU and is pretty good for how cheap it is, but that would add another 100-200$ on to the price depending on what card was added in.

I always thought upgrading a PC would always be more than what you paid for the last one. So if I paid $1,200.00 for mine, than my next one would be like $2,000.00, and then more, and more for each new PC I bought and so on, and so forth. But from what you're saying, it looks like I could get something equal, or perhaps even better than mine and have the price not be too much more horribly expensive than the original price I paid for mine, or maybe even CHEAPER than my original price! What sorcery is this?

Edited by MalachiMaverick

5 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

As hardware gets older it gets cheaper. Generally speaking you will spend approximately the same amount of money for a new system for relatively equal performance compared to high end games of the time.

This has always been the way PC hardware has been.

So is the whole more, and more money thing only for people who can't have anything less than the very newest, and highest top of the line, and constantly upgrades their computers, and parts every second, much like people, and their phones, and constantly signing new contracts? So if I continue to use the approach of buying an expensive, powerful PC for what I need, and then keeping that PC for years, and not buying a new one, or upgrading parts until I'm practically forced to against my will so to speak, then I will always get a good deal, and save money? Kind of like my local PC shop that told me that the best way to save money in computers while still having good specs, and bragging rights is to deliberately stay behind in the race?

Basically buy new hardware when you cannot run the software you want to run at the speeds that you want. Like if a new game comes out that you want to play but your current PC will not run it sufficiently fast enough with the graphics settings you want then you need to look at upgrading your hardware. But if everything you use your computer for is doing it in a way that meets your standards then stay with what you have.

3 minutes ago, MalachiMaverick said:

Kind of like my local PC shop that told me that the best way to save money in computers while still having good specs, and bragging rights is to deliberately stay behind in the race?

This is pretty much true.

2 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Basically buy new hardware when you cannot run the software you want to run at the speeds that you want. Like if a new game comes out that you want to play but your current PC will not run it sufficiently fast enough with the graphics settings you want then you need to look at upgrading your hardware. But if everything you use your computer for is doing it in a way that meets your standards then stay with what you have.

This is pretty much true.

When I do eventually buy a new PC, will they all automatically be 4K capable at that point, or will there still be 1080P ones? I have a 4K TV for the PS4 PRO, but if a new PC I'm looking at isn't automatically 4K capable yet, is it worth going out of my way, and spending extra to get a video card that can do 4K, and HDR?

I have a different out look on tech. When one of my machines can't keep up I rework it for a single purpose that it can handle very well. I use the large Sharp Aquos with no "smarts" as a monitor on an old Dell Inspiron with a broken screen and the combination is smarter the the new LG upstairs. I keep an old Averatec N1000 netbook in the kitchen cabinet as a terminal to run the cooking software from the LAN. Many older notebooks were able to download at speeds that were unheard of when they were sold (I was told it was cheaper to go with what they had rather than design slower stuff). The Dell Latitude in the loft upstairs downloads at over 800mbps with Google fiber. So that's all I ask it to do. It runs TinyXP and with no overhead; it's blinding. I put FreeNAS on an older machine with a large power supply and installed 8Tb of drives. I can serve the same movie to five different computers starting at five different times with absolutely no lag at all. I have the original HP Photosmart scanner that scans 35mm slides at 1200 dpi but the software requires Windows95 so it's installed on an old 486 that does nothing but scan photos, slides and negatives. I could go on... machines for recording cassettes and vinyl albums, machines for converting video, machines to control and record from the midi sythns & keyboards. My first hard drive for my Apple ][ plus was 5 MEGABYTES and cost over $4000! I learned a long time ago that I don't need to chase after the newest and shiniest. I bought a pair of Klipsch speakers in the 70s and wasn't sure I could afford them but they still work and sound as good as the day I bought them. That was smart, buying the 5 megabyte hard drive, not so much. Sometimes you need new stuff to get where you want to go but generally most people buy new to keep up with others not because they need it. I'll get off my soapbox now but encourage you to remember the sage wisdom of Seamus Zelazny Harper; "Never throw away tech!"

"Kind of like my local PC shop that told me that the best way to save money in computers while still having good specs, and bragging rights is to deliberately stay behind in the race?" Really? They told you that? A company actually giving good honest advice to their customer to help them save money, knowing that the price for that good honest advice is the customer spending less money on them, and their products? I never knew those types of companies existed before. No! It's too hard to accept. I must have entered the Twilight Zone at some point, and I just haven't realized it yet.

2 minutes ago, MalachiMaverick said:

When I do eventually buy a new PC, will they all automatically be 4K capable at that point, or will there still be 1080P ones? I have a 4K TV for the PS4 PRO, but if a new PC I'm looking at isn't automatically 4K capable yet, is it worth going out of my way, and spending extra to get a video card that can do 4K, and HDR?

That depends on when you buy and how much you spend on it. There will always be a range of hardware for different budgets and the low end for the foreseeable future won't be really good for 4K gaming. But who knows what's to come in say 2 years time, by then Nvidia will most likely have another new generation of hardware.

1 minute ago, Bodine Grunch said:

I'll get off my soapbox now but encourage you to remember the sage wisdom of Seamus Zelazny Harper; "Never throw away tech!"

I agree with you, if your hardware is capable of doing a task that you need then why not use it. I have several PCs for different things, I just built a brand new high end gaming rig for my Windows gaming, I moved my old PC over to be my new HTPC and my old HTPC got put out in the back room for now until I find a need for it. I even have an old ass laptop sitting beside me running Linux though I rarely actually use it for anything other than tinkering.

1 minute ago, TheM.O.MXIII said:

I never knew those types of companies existed before. No! It's too hard to accept. I must have entered the Twilight Zone at some point, and I just haven't realized it yet.

lol

6 minutes ago, TheM.O.MXIII said:

"Kind of like my local PC shop that told me that the best way to save money in computers while still having good specs, and bragging rights is to deliberately stay behind in the race?" Really? They told you that? A company actually giving good honest advice to their customer to help them save money, knowing that the price for that good honest advice is the customer spending less money on them, and their products? I never knew those types of companies existed before. No! It's too hard to accept. I must have entered the Twilight Zone at some point, and I just haven't realized it yet.

Hey there, that's not very nice. There's good companies that actually care about their customers more than just making money in the sleeziest ways possible. They're not all dick heads like Dell, and HP, and all of the other industrial companies. The company who told me that is local, meaning private. That's the point, and difference right there. The local, and private businesses are usually generally going to tend to be more for the customer, and honest, and a place you can trust, whereas an industrial company is all full of evil geniuses who think of the next sleezy way to make money, and laugh while thunder booms outside of their windows, and it's the same with WalMart, and Best Buy, so you want to navigate them when you buy a computer from one of them like you're going through a jungle, and always have the assumption that anything, and everything the salesman is telling you is a lie, and look it up yourself to verify. IDK, man. I guess a company, and all of the people within it just automatically loses their soul the moment they go from being local to becoming industrial, and becomes a mega corporation with millions of dollars, and employees, and become just a statistic.

11 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

That depends on when you buy and how much you spend on it. There will always be a range of hardware for different budgets and the low end for the foreseeable future won't be really good for 4K gaming. But who knows what's to come in say 2 years time, by then Nvidia will most likely have another new generation of hardware.

I agree with you, if your hardware is capable of doing a task that you need then why not use it. I have several PCs for different things, I just built a brand new high end gaming rig for my Windows gaming, I moved my old PC over to be my new HTPC and my old HTPC got put out in the back room for now until I find a need for it. I even have an old ass laptop sitting beside me running Linux though I rarely actually use it for anything other than tinkering.

lol

If I were to tell you that I don't have any actual PC games except for the original Diablo, the Diablo HellFire expansion set, Diablo 2, and the Diablo 2 Lord of Destruction expansion set for PC, and that I don't really plan on getting into PC/Windows/Steam/Origin/etc games any time soon, and ONLY plan on using my computer for emulators such as RetroArch, PCSX2, Dolphin, Demul, Model 2 Emulator, etc, and LaunchBox/Big Box, then how long would you say I would have left with this PC until those emulators, and LaunchBox/Big Box DEMANDS of me to upgrade my PC parts, or to just get a whole new PC? How much time do I got left with this thing?

18 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

If your PC currently runs those emulators and LB perfectly fine then in all likelihood you will never have to upgrade it.

Truth is though, as emulators update to new versions, the minimum required specs will increase, along with the maximum required specs if you mess with things such as upscaling, shaders, and accuracy etc. Right now, emulators such as Dolphin, and PCSX2 among others aren't the very greatest at accurate emulation, and are no where even NEAR being 100% cycle accurate like cycle accurate emulators such as Higan, Mesen, Demul, MAME, CEN64, and many others are etc. So when those emulators get better, and get to the point where's no noticeable difference between them, and the real hardware, and games, and is practically bug/glitch free, and plays the games exactly the way they did on the original hardware, and games then the required specs will probably be insane! Even LaunchBox/Big Box's minimum requirements will increase over time as it continues to update, and gets new features added constantly. I believe @Jason Carr said so himself in a thread once. So I feel like upgrading my PC will eventually be mandatory at some point to continue using up to date emulators, and LaunchBox/Big Box.

24 minutes ago, MalachiMaverick said:

I was asking you how much time you think I have left with it before that inevitability actually comes being the fact that that's the only thing I use it for. That, and browsing the web.

I know we should never say never but those types of emulators will probably never get more accurate. PCSX2 is pretty much the ePSXe back in the day. ePSXe is a shit emulator which never got more accurate but instead died, and got replaced by more accurate emulators like Xebra, Mednafen, and now Beetle PSX Mednafen core in Retroarch. Dolphin is a lot better than PCSX2, and even it isn't progressing forward that much. At least not in the stable builds anyway. We've been stuck at 5.0 for like 3 or more years now, and it's the same with being stuck at PCSX2 1.4.0 stable builds. Even if these emulators got more accurate it would be YEARS before it happened, and if the more realistic thing happens which is that these emulators die to get replaced by more accurate emulators then that will be even more years. These emulators updating will take years to begin with, and then them dying, and getting replaced will be more years, and then after that the new ones will have to start all over from scratch, and build from the ground up in the sake of accuracy, and it took a really long time just for things like NES, and SNES to get cycle accuracy. This is the PS2, and Gamecube, and Wii we're talking about here. Way more advanced than a measly NES, or SNES. So it's gonna take several decades before we start seeing anything accuracy based in these types of console emulators. So when @Lordmonkus said you would probably never have to upgrade your PC that wasn't far off from the truth. By the time you do need to upgrade it's gonna feel like it was never. There's already a promising looking PS2 emulator called Play!. Thank god for that too. We need a replacement for PCSX2. PCSX2 is such utter dog shit, and it's code is a mess that no one but the original developers can develop for, cuz they're constantly making dumb ass decisions all the time. Think about this, they still use x86 architecture, and refuse to use the obviously superior x64 architecture, (STUPID!) and they still use plugins for their emulators to this day (STUPID!) while most of the others has abandoned that monstrosity a long time ago for bigger, and better things. PCSX2 is living in the past, and needs to get with the times, or be left behind. It's the sad but accurate reality of the situation. So as for the whole accuracy thing, it's gonna be a little while buddy, so you may as well just forget about it for now, sit back, kick your feet up, and just enjoy what you have right now.

Edited by TheM.O.MXIII

1 minute ago, TheM.O.MXIII said:

ePSXe is a shit emulator which never got more accurate but instead died

ePSXe actually got an update about a year or so ago to 2.0.5 and got a nice accuracy boost.

3 minutes ago, TheM.O.MXIII said:

So when @Lordmonkus said you would probably never have to upgrade your PC that wasn't far off from the truth.

I was actually referring to if he never changed the software being used, if it runs that software fine now it will in all likelihood always run that software assuming the software never changes.

Now in the case that those emulators (PCSX2 and Dolphin) do decide to go the accuracy route we will all need to upgrade our hardware no matter how high end our current systems are. Consider the fact that we need a 3+ GHz Intel CPU  to drive Higan, a near 100% cycle accurate emulator.

2 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

ePSXe actually got an update about a year or so ago to 2.0.5 and got a nice accuracy boost.

I was actually referring to if he never changed the software being used, if it runs that software fine now it will in all likelihood always run that software assuming the software never changes.

Now in the case that those emulators (PCSX2 and Dolphin) do decide to go the accuracy route we will all need to upgrade our hardware no matter how high end our current systems are. Consider the fact that we need a 3+ GHz Intel CPU  to drive Higan, a near 100% cycle accurate emulator.

How do you do that where you only quote small parts of someone's post? It keeps making me quote the whole thing!