LaunchBox Community Forums

Bezel Project! A custom bezel for every ROM!

CoinJunkie

I'm getting it setup right now, this layout is pretty nifty! Question (concern) Can I setup different inputs for each core? For instance, I use actual n64 controllers (usb or with the retrolink) for n64... but when i go into snes, I want to use a snes controller... it will allow for that correct? Similar to how a retropie just keeps all input configurations and doesn't care what is plugged in, as long as it's setup? 

Edited by OGControllersOrBust

52 minutes ago, OGControllersOrBust said:

Another question, how are you guys matching the file names to the rom files? Are you doing an instr? Or are you splitting each filename on spaces, then putting them in an array then searching that way?  

I assume you're asking about the matching of bezels to ROMs?

The Bezel Project guys are using the No-Intro naming conventions.  So if you're using No-Intro sets, you should be golden.  If using TOSEC, Good, or other ROM sets, you will need to rename your files or edit the configs manually.

2 hours ago, ericcannon said:

These bezels are awesome. I downloaded the mame pack from the bezel project git hub and was wondering if anyone has the mame .lay files for these? I would like to drop them in to my mame art folder. That way you don't need rocket launcher or a specific folder loction in a cfg file.

There is a way of having one lay folder and making a script which picks up the lay file and any additonal overlays like a screen, but I'm not that technical to do it. 

Have you downloaded one of my Mame Bezel packs from Launchbox? It's a bit data heavy the way I've done it, but it's the way your looking for. 

All you need to do is just pick two of the different screen ratio's (Horizontal 4:3 and Vertical 3:4) from one of these sets and replace the bezel in the corresponding screen ratio with the ones you have. The Lay files are all the same. 

It will just be time consuming, I guess the easiest way would be to delete the bezel in the two files and then just keep dumping your bezel, save folder under rom name and repeat.

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:09 AM, ninja2bceen said:

If you use RocketLauncher you can totally use all of these 

snes bezels

genesis bezels

mame bezels

Nes bezels

Hey Ninja2bceen,

I have downloaded your bezel packs from emumovies and everything is working great. I wanted to ask you if you would make a pack for the turbografx 16 set from the bezel project website?

• 2 weeks later...

Just to give this a bit of a bump, I put together a NSIS based installer which I posted on the Bezel Project Facebook group a day or two ago.  I've already had some good feedback on it but keen to get some additional testing in and see what further improvements can be made (I'm sure there will be folks who have way more skill with NSIS than I do).

Currently the installer is setup to allow you to choose from the list of systems which currently have bezels available for them, it will then download the bezels direct from GitHub, extract them, and move them over to your RetroArch directory, along with the updated cfg files.   Credit to @dragon57, the cfg files were converted with your script.

The installer is available here for anyone who wishes to test it (I would recommend testing it on a vanilla/freshly installed copy of RetroArch). Point the installer to your RetroArch directory, select the systems you want to install bezels for, and it will take care of the rest:  https://github.com/thebezelproject/BezelProject-Windows/releases/

Should you wish to take a look at the NSIS script, it's available on this link and viewable via your text editor of choice:  https://github.com/thebezelproject/BezelProject-Windows/blob/master/bezel_project_windows_install_script.nsi

Edited by dmc4708
Installer migrated to the main bezel project GitHub page. Download links amended accordingly.
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ericcannon said:

Sweet! I’m going to check it out over the weekend. Is there any way you could do the same thing for mame .lay files so we could drop the mame bezels into our mame artwork folder and use them?

Potentially, yes. Do you have an example of a mame .lay file you could share with me?  If you could share with me the location where the artwork should reside, and where the .lay files should reside I'm sure we could rustle something up that would work. 

5 hours ago, dmc4708 said:

Potentially, yes. Do you have an example of a mame .lay file you could share with me?  If you could share with me the location where the artwork should reside, and where the .lay files should reside I'm sure we could rustle something up that would work. 

Hi There dmc4708, Here's an example of a Bezel folder with two different glass effects and a generic lay file. I created about 1800+ which are uploaded in Launchbox.

I just dumped folders like this into the "Artwork" folder within Mame. but it takes up a load of data to have a lay file and 2 glass effects for each folder.

ssriders.zip

The one thing about mame  .lay files is you will have to tell it the screen dimensions. So you will need one for horizontal and vertical games. Also if you could plug in what monitor resolution you have and have it automate the . Lay file to match it that would be awesome. Like I would like to have a set for my home entertainment setup in which I use a 16:9 aspect ratio1920x1080 tv. But I am also modding  an arcade 1up machine and it has a 4:3 aspect ratio monitor I believe is 1280x1024. So I would need the vertical mame .lay files for the bezels on the vertical games like pac-man or donkey Kong etc.

I think someone posted earlier in this thread how they were able to sort all of the vertical games from the horizontal games but he created rocket launcher bezels files instead of mame .lay files. I am currently using these in rocket launcher but would prefer to bypass rocket launcher and use these bezels directly in mame using the .lay files. When you download and unpack mame you will see an artwork folder that is where you would place the files. In a folder you would have the .lay file and the bezel with the folder name matching the exact name of the rom file. And then in mame during gameplay you can bring up the options menu and go under video option if there is a bezel for the game it will show up and you enable it or disable it. 

Looking through the MAME bezels in the github repository, there looks to be 368 vertical bezels.

Re the .lay file, it appears you must have a folder with the rom name inside the artwork folder, in which the .lay file for that rom resides. 

On the plus side the .lay file can use relative paths (per the attached example), so the glass, horz_screen_bezel, and horz_screen_bezel_glass etc only require one copy, which should save on space.

Does anyone have an example of a vertical .lay file they could share?

vertical_bezel_list.txt

gtfore06.lay

I wanted to make a request for the current program that you have written dmc4708.  And that is can you have the program write config files for the consoles like you did for the arcade config file. for example the .cfg file located in the arcade bezel folders along with.png bezel file

overlays = 1

overlay0_overlay = 3countb.png

overlay0_full_screen = true

overlay0_descs = 0

Im trying to install these bezels on my hacked mini nes that has hakchi installed on a usb drive. the arcade bezels work even though I have to manually select them but the console bezels don't because the .cfg file has the full path for the .png file. If it was written like the example above then I could at least manually select them.

Alternatively if you could have the program make etc\libretro\.config\retroarch\overlay\ the path for the bezels in the .cfg files in the emulator folders that may be even better so that it would automatically show the bezel.

correction: the bezel path on my Nes mini is ~/.config/retroarch/overlay/

example for arcade bezels:

"~/.config/retroarch/overlay/ArcadeBezels/foodf.cfg"

and a console example:

"~/.config/retroarch/overlay/GameBezels/NES/Castlevania (USA).cfg".

BTW the program you wrote is working great on my windows setup. I have all of the bezels setup in retoarch. It saved me so much time.