LaunchBox Community Forums

Bezel Project! A custom bezel for every ROM!

CoinJunkie

On 12/15/2018 at 2:44 AM, dragon57 said:

I have attached my 8ball.zip file which has the lay and bezel file in it.

8ball.zip

Ok, I've got two template .lay files sorted out which seem to work nicely, and include a few options for glass/frame etc.

Could your script be modified to perform two functions?

Find and replace this line, from this:

input_overlay = "/opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch/overlay/ArcadeBezels/3countb.cfg"

To This:

<mamelayout version="2">
  <element name="Artwork_1">
    <image file="..\3countb.cfg"

Then find and replace everything from .cfg"  onwards (replacing .cfg to .png in the process)

<mamelayout version="2">
  <element name="Artwork_1">
    <image file="..\3countb.png"/>
  </element>
  <element name="screen_bezel">
    <image file="..\horz_screen_bezel.png"/>
  </element>
  <element name="screen_bezel_glass">
    <image file="..\horz_screen_bezel_glass.png"/>
  </element>
  <element name="screen_glass">
    <image file="..\glass.png"/>
  </element>
  <element name="screen_mask">
    <image file="..\horz_screen_mask.png"/>
  </element>
   <view name="Full">
    <screen index="0">
      <bounds x="240" y="0" width="1440" height="1080"/>
    </screen>
    <bezel element="Artwork_1">
      <bounds x="0" y="0" width="1920" height="1080"/>
    </bezel>
  </view>
   <view name="Glass">
    <screen index="0">
    </screen>
   <backdrop element="screen_glass">
    </backdrop>
    <overlay element="screen_mask">
    </overlay>
    </bezel>
  </view>
   <view name="Framed">
    <screen index="0">
      <bounds x="290" y="50" width="1340" height="980"/>
    </screen>
   <backdrop element="screen_bezel">
    </backdrop>
      <bounds x="290" y="45" width="1340" height="990"/>
    </overlay>
    </bezel>
  </view>
   <view name="Framed_Glass">
    <screen index="0">
      <bounds x="290" y="50" width="1340" height="980"/>
    </screen>
   <backdrop element="screen_bezel_glass">
    </backdrop>
      <bounds x="290" y="45" width="1340" height="990"/>
    </overlay>
    </bezel>
  </view>
</mamelayout>

Finally, rename the file from a .cfg to a .lay.

Is something like this doable with your script?

vertical_template.lay

horizontal_template.lay

22 hours ago, ericcannon said:

correction: the bezel path on my Nes mini is ~/.config/retroarch/overlay/

example for arcade bezels:

"~/.config/retroarch/overlay/ArcadeBezels/foodf.cfg"

and a console example:

"~/.config/retroarch/overlay/GameBezels/NES/Castlevania (USA).cfg".

BTW the program you wrote is working great on my windows setup. I have all of the bezels setup in retoarch. It saved me so much time.

Should be doable, if you download the script made by Dragon57, edit the Loop_Bezels.cmd file and change line 8 to this, then save and run.

cscript ..\replace.vbs "%%F" ":/overlays/" "~/.config/retroarch/overlays/" >nul

This is assuming that you are working with the cfg files from the installer.

If you are working with the cfg files as downloaded from The Bezel Project GitHub page, then use the following line instead:

cscript ..\replace.vbs "%%F" "/opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch/overlay/" "~/.config/retroarch/overlays/" >nul

16 hours ago, ericcannon said:

Ok I found the correct script file from Dragon 57 at the beginning of this thread. I downloaded both files and edited the line you showed me. I ran the Loop_Bezels.cmd and it looked like it was working but when I checked the .cfg files nothing changed.

Try these: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ky2fmz0wrgsscbf/FCEUmm.zip?dl=0

The Bezel Project installer for MAME is now up: https://github.com/thebezelproject/BezelProject-Windows/releases/ - note, this is for MAME, not RetroArch using a MAME libretro core.

Feedback, comments, suggestions welcome. At this stage I would recommend installing on a fresh copy of MAME for testing purposes.  The bezels are as downloaded via the Bezel Project, as such the .lay files are configured for a 1920x1080 HD screen resolution.

Here is the underlying NSIS install script should you wish to check it over, it is view-able via your text editor of choice: https://github.com/thebezelproject/BezelProject-Windows/blob/master/bezel_project_windows_install_script.nsi

Edited by dmc4708
Installer migrated to the main bezel project GitHub page. Links amended accordingly.

I downloaded the mame installer and ran it. It created .lay files inside of a folder that matched the rom name but it did not place the actual bezel inside the folder. It put all of the Bezel.png files inside of the artwork folder rather than placing them into the individual folders along with .lay file.

The current format does work but the only issue is I can not add my other bezels because they are all contained within the rom named folder. If these bezels were all contained in there specific rom folder then I could just drop my bezels into the artwork folder and it would combine them all and I could choose which bezel I wanted during gameplay. Other than that it works great.

Sorry for the late reply, I took a little break after working on the install script, got a little burned out on it.

On 12/18/2018 at 12:26 AM, ericcannon said:

I downloaded the mame installer and ran it. It created .lay files inside of a folder that matched the rom name but it did not place the actual bezel inside the folder. It put all of the Bezel.png files inside of the artwork folder rather than placing them into the individual folders along with .lay file.

That was by design, although the Bezel Project supports over 3000 MAME games, 2000 of them are using the generic MAME-Horizontal or MAME-Vertical bezels rather than game specific bezels. Not to mention the glass, screen_bezel, screen_bezel_glass, screen_mask png files for both horizontal and vertical orientation. It seems like an inefficient use of space in my opinion to have 2000+ copies of those?

Are you saying that you want the .png files in the folder of the same name, e.g move mame\artwork\3countb.png into the mame\artwork\3countb folder which contains the .lay file, then you could run the following code in a batch file (save it in the artwork folder).  The below will only move the game specific png files into their respective folders. 

@echo off
for /f %%x in ('dir /ad /b') do move %%x.png %%x
pause

Of course you would also need to bulk edit the .lay files so they are looking in the correct directory for the .png file.

If I have misunderstood, please can you tell me step by step what you would like to see, and I'll see if it's possible to incorporate it into the installer.

So I saw a video from ETA Prime that there was a new release. I'm having an issue with Retroarch and I'm not sure how to fix it. My mouse cursor is visible now when I play games. The first game I selected in Launchbox was in the middle of the screen so the mouse was there when the game started. Same happened when I started Big Box. mouse was hidden, But start game and the mouse shows up again. I thought it was a Retroarch issue but I don't see anything that mentions hiding the mouse. Other than that issue the bezels for NES and SNES that I tested look great.

5 minutes ago, Tatts4Life said:

So I saw a video from ETA Prime that there was a new release. I'm having an issue with Retroarch and I'm not sure how to fix it. My mouse cursor is visible now when I play games. The first game I selected in Launchbox was in the middle of the screen so the mouse was there when the game started. Same happened when I started Big Box. mouse was hidden, But start game and the mouse shows up again. I thought it was a Retroarch issue but I don't see anything that mentions hiding the mouse. Other than that issue the bezels for NES and SNES that I tested look great.

This is a issue with retroarch when using bezels. You can try using the new hide mouse cursor in Tools/Manage emulators/retroarch/startup tab.Untitled.thumb.png.11e2266786ae804812762f5a2a82a81e.png

25 minutes ago, dmc4708 said:

Yeah you can, but that new hide mouse pointer has been added since that post, whatever works for you though.

Hi,

I just tried installing bezel project. After I installed it loaded up bezel for sonic 2 and then I cant get the bezel to change from sonic 2 even when going to a different system.  Anyone have an easy solution for this i am using all no intro roms.  I checked the install folder all bezels are there with cfg files but it is defaulting to sonic bezel and Sony use any other one. This is for retroarch

28 minutes ago, firebirdocz said:

Hi,

I just tried installing bezel project. After I installed it loaded up bezel for sonic 2 and then I cant get the bezel to change from sonic 2 even when going to a different system.  Anyone have an easy solution for this i am using all no intro roms.  I checked the install folder all bezels are there with cfg files but it is defaulting to sonic bezel and Sony use any other one. This is for retroarch

Which emulators are you using for each system? 

So I see what the problem is. When I am loading a game that does not have a bezel it defaults to the sonic bezel. I went into my retroarch.cfg and deleted the sonic bezel from the default overlay fixed. But the first bezel I play a game with it picks as the new default. When I pick a game it has a bezel for it uses that bezel but if no bezel it goes to the default. Is there any way to use a different default bezel specific to each emulator if there is no game specific bezel to use?

7 minutes ago, firebirdocz said:

So I see what the problem is. When I am loading a game that does not have a bezel it defaults to the sonic bezel. I went into my retroarch.cfg and deleted the sonic bezel from the default overlay fixed. But the first bezel I play a game with it picks as the new default. When I pick a game it has a bezel for it uses that bezel but if no bezel it goes to the default. Is there any way to use a different default bezel specific to each emulator if there is no game specific bezel to use?

We are looking into applying a default bezel per system if a game is loaded which does not have a bezel. 

• Thanks 1