LaunchBox Community Forums

Bezel Project! A custom bezel for every ROM!

CoinJunkie

@CoinJunkie Thanks for hitting me up here. I can help out to see if there would be any kind of a way to automate this; LaunchBox and Big Box do not handle bezels themselves (and I don't plan to implement that any time soon), so they would still need to be handled by Retroarch or MAME. But maybe there's a way that we can help to automate the installation process to Retroarch and MAME?

I admit that I'm a noob to bezels almost completely, so I'm pretty much in the dark. What are the biggest painpoints right now for installing these bezels in a LaunchBox/MAME/Retroarch Windows environment?

7 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

@CoinJunkie Thanks for hitting me up here. I can help out to see if there would be any kind of a way to automate this; LaunchBox and Big Box do not handle bezels themselves (and I don't plan to implement that any time soon), so they would still need to be handled by Retroarch or MAME. But maybe there's a way that we can help to automate the installation process to Retroarch and MAME?

I admit that I'm a noob to bezels almost completely, so I'm pretty much in the dark. What are the biggest painpoints right now for installing these bezels in a LaunchBox/MAME/Retroarch Windows environment?

Thanks @Jason Carr , the brains behind our windows installer is @dmc4708 who can answer that question better than me, so I'll pass the mic ?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My Windows port for The Bezel Project's Retropie script is ready for open beta. The app support Windows installations of native/standalone MAME, Retroarch, and RocketLauncher.

While the app is in beta, it will have a rolling, 30 day expiration period. Also, after the app leaves beta, there will be no expiration and I plan to post the source code to Github.

Note that you should backup any existing configurations and the app is not responsible for nuking your computer (really, it should be fine, but always backup!)

If you find any issues, please post a message here in the thread. I will attempt to get back to you within 24 hours.

One final caution, any process involving downloading, installing, disabling, and/or enabling the MAME bezel pack can take a while to complete, so be patient.

Here is the download link (temporarily on my Google drive). The final app will be hosted on our Github account.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Fr-Z0ISu2vgrxnFpn2NokbWEwSfsthCS

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@dragon57 thanks so much for this!  Does this work for any resolution monitor or do you have suggestions to make the bezels fit on a 1440p monitor without black space between the game and bezel? 

In general, what is it doing?  I see there’s a png and cfg file for each game/bezel. Is the png image size static or does it shrink/stretch based on the system where it’s installed?  Does the cfg file change the game’s play area?  Does the bezel project change any other Retroarch settings besides the png and cfg files they drop?  Or are these bezels meant to be used with some specific settings from the video section around resolution or aspect ratio?  

Sorry, it’s a ton of meandering questions. I had used this before:

It’s great for a lot of games but I could swear some games resolution started looking funky and the bezels left some black space around the game play area. I figured it’s because I’m on a 1440p monitor but I wasn’t sure. Any suggestions or explanations about what changes this does with Retroarch and MAME is greatly appreciated!

Edited by Fry
Not sure why some of the text is highlighted

Does this work for any resolution monitor or do you have suggestions to make the bezels fit on a 1440p monitor without black space between the game and bezel?  The bezels them selves are all 1080p resolution, but that is the same aspect ratio as 1440p, so they should scale fine no matter which application you use them with.

In general, what is it doing?  I see there’s a png and cfg file for each game/bezel. Is the png image size static or does it shrink/stretch based on the system where it’s installed? As I said above, the image should scale. Does the cfg file change the game’s play area? The cfg file does not change the play area specifically, but it will strip out any override if you leave the option 'Overwrite existing platform bezel cfg files' set to 'Yes'. Does the bezel project change any other Retroarch settings besides the png and cfg files they drop? See previous answer. Or are these bezels meant to be used with some specific settings from the video section around resolution or aspect ratio?  I would check to see if you have any core overrides in effect that would cause the play area to be scaled incorrectly. If you don't find any, I would just bring up a game with the bezel and go into the Video options, then play around with the aspect ratio option and/or custom scaling numbers. Once you get the look you want, save a core override.

MAME is similar. The lay files should set the correct aspect ratio and play area, but if you have any custom settings saved under MAME, you may have to delete them, or play around to get the look you want.

IS there an Official link for the latest Windows installer yet? Because the latest Google Drive one is flagging up as a Virus, the version previous didnt have any issues

While I am here.great work on the .exe - very good job

EDIT: Ignore me, just went into Windows Defender and hit restore - Keep your version going dragon57 :)

Edited by zetec-s-joe

6 hours ago, zetec-s-joe said:

IS there an Official link for the latest Windows installer yet? Because the latest Google Drive one is flagging up as a Virus, the version previous didnt have any issues

While I am here.great work on the .exe - very good job

EDIT: Ignore me, just went into Windows Defender and hit restore - Keep your version going dragon57 :)

Yeah, my app is created with AutoHotkey and compressed with UPX. This combination is often flagged as a virus because of the compression. Either restore, or create an exception for the installer/app.

1 hour ago, dov_EL said:

there are various problems with retroarch and launchbox. once the 1.5 script is used, it will no longer be possible to modify any configuration in retroarch since it is not saved

@dov_EL, can you give more details? I don't have any issues saving settings with Retroarch here in my setup.

• Thanks 1

Is there any way to create a config to get these to auto work with cores that are not officially currently supported? For example for NES i use mesen, and for SNES i use HIGAN, neither of these will automatically show bezels. I tried making a higan folder for snes and copying the configs from the snes9x folder to it but that didnt work. Is this simply not possible yet or am i just being a dumbass?

Thanks.

5 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Is there any way to create a config to get these to auto work with cores that are not officially currently supported? For example for NES i use mesen, and for SNES i use HIGAN, neither of these will automatically show bezels. I tried making a higan folder for snes and copying the configs from the snes9x folder to it but that didnt work. Is this simply not possible yet or am i just being a dumbass?

Thanks.

The old style installer does include config files for every single emulator to cover whichever emulator a user could potentially be using.
https://github.com/thebezelproject/BezelProject-Windows/releases/latest  This is soon to be phased out in favour of the beta which is currently being discussed and tested in this topic.

However, we did receive feedback from one or two users that they weren't happy with the installer adding so many config files to their install.  Can't please everyone unfortunately.

Try renaming the snes9x config folder to:
higan (Super Famicom Accuracy)

Edited by dmc4708
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, dmc4708 said:

The old style installer does include config files for every single emulator to cover whichever emulator a user could potentially be using.
https://github.com/thebezelproject/BezelProject-Windows/releases/latest  This is soon to be phased out in favour of the beta which is currently being discussed and tested in this topic.

However, we did receive feedback from one or two users that they weren't happy with the installer adding so many config files to their install.  Can't please everyone unfortunately.

Try renaming the snes9x config folder to:
higan (Super Famicom Accuracy)

Bingo!!! :) 

In both my cases the folders were named wrongly, i just had higan for example without the "(Super Famicom Accuracy)" after it. I knew i was doing something stupid as it seemed like it should be so simple by renaming the folders. Thanks for the heads up. :) 

22 hours ago, dragon57 said:

Yeah, my app is created with AutoHotkey and compressed with UPX. This combination is often flagged as a virus because of the compression. Either restore, or create an exception for the installer/app.

@dov_EL, can you give more details? I don't have any issues saving settings with Retroarch here in my setup.

I used the WebInstaller 1.5
After selecting (example) Retroarch -MAME (Arcade), the process ends perfectly.
But if during use I try to change a shaders, it is not saved with the message Save configuration failed.

38 minutes ago, dov_EL said:

I used the WebInstaller 1.5
After selecting (example) Retroarch -MAME (Arcade), the process ends perfectly.
But if during use I try to change a shaders, it is not saved with the message Save configuration failed.

Hmm, not sure what to tell you. The Webinstaller 1.5 belongs to DMC4708. There are plans to stop development of it and archive it on Github in the near future. It sounds like your Retroarch-MAME cfg file was accidentally corrupted. All I can recommend is delete it and the bezels, then manually configure things how you want. Use my app to reinstall and see if that gets you back where you need to be. Installing any of the bezel packs should not keep you from further customizing your Retroarch settings.

Yet another beta release (sorry about the fast turnover). This version supports Windows only repo releases as they are completed. Since the original purpose of the project was to release for RetroPie users, there are great reasons to not open up repos that just aren't supported on that platform yet, but are either officially, or easily configured to work on Windows. The link is the same above.

Note: in this release you should see Daphne and Dreamcast in the list of available repos. Finally, you may see quite a few naming issues if you install the Dreamcast files. The main reason for this is there is no official No-Intro database for Sega Dreamcast yet, so we had to pick some naming convention. We decided to go with the EmuMovies naming convention for Dreamcast at this point in time. This may change as feedback comes in and if No-Intro ever releases an official database. If anyone has any other info/input for this subject, please PM me.
  • The Cake is a Lie 1