LaunchBox Community Forums

8.8-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

2 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

I am currently taking a short hiatus from new features for a bit to focus on performance improvements and bug fixes, both related to these new changes and bugs that exist but that are rare (and that I haven't been able to replicate), such as the controller performance issues that a handful of people are experiencing.

Any chance the pause menu will be the next major feature after your hiatus? Also when you do get to the pause menu, will the community be able to make suggestions on what the menu contains?

4 minutes ago, Omen said:

Any chance the pause menu will be the next major feature after your hiatus? Also when you do get to the pause menu, will the community be able to make suggestions on what the menu contains?

The pause screen stuff is on the radar, as well as the start screen stuff. At this point, though, I don't know what will be next. Both features will be themable though, so they'll be fully flexible as to what goes on them.

• Like 2

Just now, Jason Carr said:

I'm not 100% sure what you mean here. What are you wanting to do in the XML?

Use the same playlist that already has the populated categories. And just change the name portions for the specific systems.If i explained that correctly

1 minute ago, rexryan said:

Use the same playlist that already has the populated categories. And just change the name portions for the specific systems.If i explained that correctly

I think I get what you're saying. I wouldn't recommend doing a bunch of stuff like that directly in the XMLs (or at least make a backup) because things are bound to go wrong. That said, stuff is spread out through the playlist and platform XMLs, the Parents.xml, and the Platforms.xml files. It's probably going to be more difficult to manually edit the stuff than it would be to just do it in the LB interface.

In the future I have plans to make auto-generating stuff like genre playlists easier. 

15 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

The pause screen stuff is on the radar, as well as the start screen stuff. At this point, though, I don't know what will be next. Both features will be themable though, so they'll be fully flexible as to what goes on them.

Awesome! That will be even better than I had hoped, I never imagined it would be themable! 

20 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Hi @deliyuerek85, using your data that you sent me on September 24th, I am seeing games in all of those date-based playlists with beta 3:

image.thumb.png.c5c5c980b4759e490d7c1bfd8c2c8f52.pngAre you sure something didn't change in your collection or the playlists to filter them out? Otherwise, maybe it's a culture/date issue that I need to address.

I am able to replicate the playlists not sorting correctly issue, so I will get that fixed.

@Jason CarrYes, it could indeed have something to do with my regional settings. My Windows is set up for germany. The date format is therefor dd.mm.yyyy. But it had worked in the past.

Edited by deliyuerek85

To piggy back off another post, it appears 'Platform' isn't display properly in LaunchBox. It lists 2-Player Games, 4-Player Games, etc. instead of just the platforms. If you switch the drop down to 'Platform Category', it display just platforms with an expandable down arrow on Arcade, PC, etc. However, there appears to be a duplicate list of the platforms a second time.

Platform_1.png

Platform_2.png

12 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Beta 5 is out now with hopes that it will solve the lag that a handful of people are still experiencing with controllers. Nothing else is added or changed in this beta, but there have been some significant tweaks to the Big Box code, so testing is appreciated. :)

BigBox def feels smoother, I can scroll pretty fast now without hickup! Well done Jason!

• Like 1

Hmmm, it could be placebo, but I also do feel like it is more responsive. I just quite can't put my finger on where, though.

Hey Jason, when you scroll to another game and select them, BigBox waits for the transitions of game videos and images to begin and end before it opens up that game menu. Would it be possible to just go straight to the menu? I mean, the media that is being animated already will be in the game menu page anyway. It might have been an oversight? This could help make the experience feel more responsive.

18 hours ago, TechTonic said:

To piggy back off another post, it appears 'Platform' isn't display properly in LaunchBox. It lists 2-Player Games, 4-Player Games, etc. instead of just the platforms. If you switch the drop down to 'Platform Category', it display just platforms with an expandable down arrow on Arcade, PC, etc. However, there appears to be a duplicate list of the platforms a second time.

Platform_1.png

Platform_2.png

If you edit those playlists, there is an option to "Include this playlist with platforms". Unchecking that should remove it from the platform list.

21 hours ago, Suhrvivor said:

I might be tripping, but Bigbox feels smoother now and more responsive..

10 hours ago, e2zippo said:

BigBox def feels smoother, I can scroll pretty fast now without hickup! Well done Jason!

19 minutes ago, ZeSystem said:

Hmmm, it could be placebo, but I also do feel like it is more responsive. I just quite can't put my finger on where, though.

Good to hear that it's at least feeling more responsive. It apparently doesn't resolve the controller lag issue for everyone, but I have a feeling it does solve what a lot of users were seeing. But there's still some sort of odd hiccup that @noiseordinance is running into at least.

20 minutes ago, ZeSystem said:

Hey Jason, when you scroll to another game and select them, BigBox waits for the transitions of game videos and images to begin and end before it opens up that game menu. Would it be possible to just go straight to the menu? I mean, the media that is being animated already will be in the game menu page anyway. It might have been an oversight? This could help make the experience feel more responsive.

Not everyone uses the game details view though, i dont. So i would want that loading there always.

21 minutes ago, ZeSystem said:

This is currently done on purpose to keep the experience smooth, rather than create a jarring jump in frames. I think if you turn transitions off it would be a non-issue. But the point of transitions of course is to smooth out the experience.