Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums
Jason Carr

8.8-beta-1 Released

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Kevin_Flynn said:

I haven't tried the beta yet. Is it possible to skip a platform / playlist if there's only one option?

Nintendo

- - - Nintendo Entertainment System  (SKIP)

- - - - - - Game 1

- - - - - - Game 2

- - - - - - Game 3

 

For instance, I have a Pinball category; however, only one Platform - Pinball FX - I don't want to asked what platform as the wheel is just repeated.

I understand different people's needs are different, but why create a category to only have one playlist in it?  Why not just have "Pinball FX" as the category or rename "Pinball FX" to "Pinball"?

Edited by azuravian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Please PM me your Data folder, and I can troubleshoot, assuming it still happens after a restart?

Jason, thank you very much for the fast reply! It seems to be working okay now, after I edited some of the xml files in the 'data' folder. However, one thing I noticed is that there somehow needs to be the ability to create a "platform category". With the new nesting system, that function seems to be gone unless you manually edit 2 of the xml files in the 'data' folder. With so many "Consoles" I like to separate the older systems into another root folder such as "Classics" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, bundangdon said:

Jason, thank you very much for the fast reply! It seems to be working okay now, after I edited some of the xml files in the 'data' folder. However, one thing I noticed is that there somehow needs to be the ability to create a "platform category". With the new nesting system, that function seems to be gone unless you manually edit 2 of the xml files in the 'data' folder. With so many "Consoles" I like to separate the older systems into another root folder such as "Classics" 

bundangdon, I'm able to right click in "Platform Category" and click add to create a new one.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, azuravian said:

bundangdon, I'm able to right click in "Platform Category" and click add to create a new one.

Thank you for pointing that out. It was a matter of clicking another platform category and then doing a right-click on top of it to make it work. Problem solved!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, azuravian said:

I understand different people's needs are different, but why create a category to only have one playlist in it?  Why not just have "Pinball FX" as the category or rename "Pinball FX" to "Pinball"?

It's not a Playlist it's a Platform and Platforms are required to be in Platform Category. Platform Categories can not contain games themselves. 

Edited by Kevin_Flynn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Kevin_Flynn said:

It's not a Playlist it's a Platform and Platforms are required to be in Platform Category. Platform Categories can not contain games themselves. 

Platforms and Playlists can be in the Root as well, they are not tied exclusively to Platform Category's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jason Carr - I have not seen the aforementioned problem since (the platform categories showing zero on update to the latest beta). I notice that another forum user mentioned this problem as well, and the same fix worked for him (changing view to platforms then back to platform categories/restarting Launchbox). So hopefully all is well!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beta 3 is out now with a ton of fixes/changes for the nesting:

- Orphaned items should now show up in the root

- New Add options in the sidebar right-click menu to add a platform, category, or playlist

- The parent tree views in the Add/Edit screens now only expand to make checked items visible (instead of expanding everything)

- When adding a new platform, category, or playlist from the sidebar right-click menu, the currently selected item is checked by default in the parent tree views

- Root is now checked by default in the parent tree views if nothing else is selected

- Fixed overlap/DPI issues with Add/Edit Parents tabs

- When adding or editing a platform, the Parents tab now only allows you to add the platform to the root or to platform categories, as there's no good reason to add a platform to a playlist or another platform (and this discourages misuse of platforms where a platform category or a playlist should be used instead)

- Various related fixes

Testing is still much appreciated on this stuff. I did find a whole slew of potential bugs that have been fixed in this beta, so stability should at least be significantly improved. If you've previously reported a bug, please re-test with this beta and let me know if you still experience it. Thanks all!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Dan said:

Something I've noticed - regarding the platform selection window and the game counts. Game counts are great. However, with the new nested feature, a lot of the "parent" folders have a count of 0 - because there are no games in them. There might be some sub-folders however.

I think it would be an improvement if the count in this scenario would show the number of "items" (this would include sub-folders), not just games. Makes mores sense to me and makes the number useful in this scenario.

The parent folders are supposed to now display the actual game count (which is one reason for the marginally increased performance requirements):

image.thumb.png.9ea3b109c5cc81068f68b72f06abb63c.png

If the game counts aren't displaying, please let me know where.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Kevin_Flynn said:

I haven't tried the beta yet. Is it possible to skip a platform / playlist if there's only one option?

Nintendo

- - - Nintendo Entertainment System  (SKIP)

- - - - - - Game 1

- - - - - - Game 2

- - - - - - Game 3

 

For instance, I have a Pinball category; however, only one Platform - Pinball FX - I don't want to asked what platform as the wheel is just repeated.

The recommended solution in this case would be to just put that platform in the root instead of a inside a platform category. Stuff is easy to move around now so that should be a non-issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dan said:

@Jason Carr - I have not seen the aforementioned problem since (the platform categories showing zero on update to the latest beta). I notice that another forum user mentioned this problem as well, and the same fix worked for him (changing view to platforms then back to platform categories/restarting Launchbox). So hopefully all is well!

Ha, somehow I didn't make the connection to the previous issue. I get it now. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

The parent folders are supposed to now display the actual game count (which is one reason for the marginally increased performance requirements):

image.thumb.png.9ea3b109c5cc81068f68b72f06abb63c.png

If the game counts aren't displaying, please let me know where.

You have the Genre setup..Awesome Will there be a problem on other systems with the same name?..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, rexryan said:

You have the Genre setup..Awesome Will there be a problem on other systems with the same name?..

That's the point of the Nested Name vs. the Unique Name fields.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

That's the point of the Nested Name vs. the Unique Name fields.

Im old bud..I guess im going to have to wait for the instruction vid if there is one..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, rexryan said:

Im old bud..I guess im going to have to wait for the instruction vid if there is one..

Unique Name has to be something unique from everything else, Nested Name is the name you want it to say in LB, and can be anything you want, even the same as existing entries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

The parent folders are supposed to now display the actual game count (which is one reason for the marginally increased performance requirements): If the game counts aren't displaying, please let me know where.

I will check and let you know. Actual game count is an even better idea than item count. With all these different sorting options, it would be nice to be able to set the box size/view options independently for each category (or at least platform) too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I put a playlist inside of a platform. While everything looks fine in Launchbox, in Bigbox I just get a black screen when I click on the platform. I have a clear logo and media setup for the playlist.

I'm guessing it won't show playlists and a list of games in a platform, is that correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2018 at 11:32 AM, deliyuerek85 said:

I have noticed, that the games in the Playlists are not sorted correctly in BigBox. For example, I have a playlist, where the games should be sorted by "Date added". But they are now sorted randomly. But that issue is only in BigBox.

Another bug that I have discovered is, that my playlists, where the games should listed, that are released between a specific time period, are not populated anymore:

Unbenannt1.thumb.JPG.f82d38b9d893583c0a1db93fc51dc76c.JPG

But in the edit menu they can be seen:

Unbenannt2.thumb.JPG.43ba3a83a1e151a4fe95da3ca1341ca3.JPG

I still have this problem in the new beta. 🤔

 

EDIT: And the games in my other playlists are still in wrong order in BigBox.

Edited by deliyuerek85

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...