Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums
Jason Carr

8.8-beta-1 Released

Recommended Posts

Just got this error when trying to add a new platform from the tools menu. All I wanted to do was create a Windows platform on the root and add my locomailto games added as roms under a Locomailto platform..

On 8.8 beta 3

 

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 8.8-beta-3
Type:    System.NullReferenceException
Site:    Void (Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Forms.AddEditPlatformForm)
Source:  LaunchBox

   at (AddEditPlatformForm )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Forms.AddEditPlatformForm.LoadValues()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Forms.AddEditPlatformForm..ctor(Platform platform)
   at (ManagePlatformsForm , Object , EventArgs )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Forms.ManagePlatformsForm.addButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at (CustomButton , MouseEventArgs )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.FormsControls.CustomButton.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Recent Log:

   10:18:44 PM Music.Prepare Start
   22:18:44 Music.Kill Start
   22:18:44 Music.Kill Finished
   22:18:44 Music.NotifyTrackList Start
   22:18:44 Music.NotifyTrackList Invoke WPF
   10:23:56 PM Music.Play Start
   22:23:56 Music.Kill Start
   22:23:56 Music.Kill Finished
   22:23:56 Music.Play Empty Music Path
   22:23:56 Music.NotifyTrackList Start
   22:23:56 Music.NotifyTrackList Invoke WPF
   10:24:06 PM Music.Play Start
   22:24:06 Music.Kill Start
   22:24:06 Music.Kill Finished
   22:24:06 Music.Play Empty Music Path
   22:24:06 Music.NotifyTrackList Start
   22:24:06 Music.NotifyTrackList Invoke WPF
   10:24:23 PM Exception

Edited by InfinityFox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2018 at 8:34 PM, Jason Carr said:

The parent folders are supposed to now display the actual game count (which is one reason for the marginally increased performance requirements):

If the game counts aren't displaying, please let me know where.

Hi @Jason Carr, yes the game count aren't displaying in some of the parent folders. If I understand you correctly, then the "regions" list (seen below) should show the total game count of all the sub-lists - but instead it shows "0":

34qvl6x.jpg

Also, wee question - if the exact same game/rom appears in 2 playlists (due to meeting their criteria), is it counted twice in the cumulative total specified next to the parent folders?

Edited by Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok scaling issue look fixed.

BUt it want some tutorial or something for all that category , playlists , platform nested things. It look more and more complicated instead being easy. 

I created new launchbox copy to mess around. I put to platforms things like (steam , uplay , gog , origin. OK now i have platforms . Next i want within each platform create genres like ACTION , STRATEGY etc.,, Within each genre i want subgenre like turnbased strategy , realtime strateg. In subgenre in some cases i want more sub sub genre to look like this. STEAM --- ACTION --- SHOOTER --- TWINSTICK SHOOTER ---- UNFINISHED .  I try many times in my mess around copy of Launchbox but always something failed. I combine platform , categories , playlists and it is mess. Something always collide with something , games dont show up or show up multiple times. I know it is beta but i think its aproach is wrong.  I imagine it like some tree folder structure where do you add game in like TWINSTICK SHOOTER (see example above.) and it make boxes in game card like  PLATFORM : STEAM , GENRE : ACTION SUBGENRE:SHOOTER , TYPE: TWINSTICK SHOOTER , STATUS : UNFINISHED

Or from other side we create tree folder structure and manually asign we want 5 level folder structure and we tell Launchbox ok in Level 1 they go PLATFORMS , in Level 2 it goes GENRE etc.

And in my opinion when we are in root (aka ALL GAMES) we should see PLATFORMS (like all games but  sorted out by platform)in main window, when i click on STEAM (example) we should see GENRES (like all games in STEAM but sorted out by genre) etc.

 

I dont really know programming side of Launchbox and dont know if its posiible just suggestions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PattersonCZ said:

Ok scaling issue look fixed.

BUt it want some tutorial or something for all that category , playlists , platform nested things. It look more and more complicated instead being easy. 

I created new launchbox copy to mess around. I put to platforms things like (steam , uplay , gog , origin. OK now i have platforms . Next i want within each platform create genres like ACTION , STRATEGY etc.,, Within each genre i want subgenre like turnbased strategy , realtime strateg. In subgenre in some cases i want more sub sub genre to look like this. STEAM --- ACTION --- SHOOTER --- TWINSTICK SHOOTER ---- UNFINISHED .  I try many times in my mess around copy of Launchbox but always something failed. I combine platform , categories , playlists and it is mess. Something always collide with something , games dont show up or show up multiple times. I know it is beta but i think its aproach is wrong.  I imagine it like some tree folder structure where do you add game in like TWINSTICK SHOOTER (see example above.) and it make boxes in game card like  PLATFORM : STEAM , GENRE : ACTION SUBGENRE:SHOOTER , TYPE: TWINSTICK SHOOTER , STATUS : UNFINISHED

Or from other side we create tree folder structure and manually asign we want 5 level folder structure and we tell Launchbox ok in Level 1 they go PLATFORMS , in Level 2 it goes GENRE etc.

And in my opinion when we are in root (aka ALL GAMES) we should see PLATFORMS (like all games but  sorted out by platform)in main window, when i click on STEAM (example) we should see GENRES (like all games in STEAM but sorted out by genre) etc.

 

I dont really know programming side of Launchbox and dont know if its posiible just suggestions.

You misunderstood the concept. Think of it like folders. A category is a folder, where you can add another category, a playlist or a platform. But you can not add categories into a platform or a playlist. It is not what this feature is intended to do.

If you want something like PLATFORM --> GENRE --> SUBGENRE, than you need to create a category that is named like the platform, than within this category you add another category with the name of the genre, and within this category you add a playlist that is populated with games of this platform and the specific subgenre.

Example: category(name: Arcade) --> category(name: Shooter) --> playlist(name: Twinstick-Shooter)

I hope it's understandable. It's simpler than it sounds.

Edited by deliyuerek85

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

28 minutes ago, deliyuerek85 said:

You misunderstood the concept. Think of it like folders. A category is a folder, where you can add another category, a playlist or a platform. But you can not add categories into a platform or a playlist. It is not what this feature is intended to do.

If you want something like PLATFORM --> GENRE --> SUBGENRE, than you need to create a category that is named like the platform, than within this category you add another category with the name of the genre, and within this category you add a playlist that is populated with games of this platform and the specific subgenre.

Example: category(name: Arcade) --> category(name: Shooter) --> playlist(name: Twinstick-Shooter)

I hope it's understandable. It's simpler than it sounds.

OK , thank you for clarifiction. I just cant get my head around it for some reason. Maybe i was little confused from other media organizers i use for my collection of tv series and music and images. (i use with launchbox four different organizers) I will test it and again thank you for explaining to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK i have another question. I wanna under each platform same name  category and same name playlist but it 1, get everywhere even under different platform or 2, i must name differently because this name already exist.  I know abou unique and nested name but it looks their function is reversed. Unique name goes to side bar and nested name can be the same but dont show in side bar. I dont have problem have unique name like STRATEGY STEAM in unique name but i wanna see only STRATEGY in sidebar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, PattersonCZ said:

OK i have another question. I wanna under each platform same name  category and same name playlist but it 1, get everywhere even under different platform or 2, i must name differently because this name already exist.  I know abou unique and nested name but it looks their function is reversed. Unique name goes to side bar and nested name can be the same but dont show in side bar. I dont have problem have unique name like STRATEGY STEAM in unique name but i wanna see only STRATEGY in sidebar.

yes I have the same thing..Also need an option to delete folders on images.. If you delete the platform the folders are still on my drive.

 

 

Edited by rexryan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jason Carr Sorry it was so long getting back to you, but you threw in a Beta3, so been testing it a lot.

Just for clarification. i5 6600k 16gig. 

LB performance is now back on par for me with 8.7 (albeit a little slower switching between image selections, but its very minor, and not important at all with the additions i expected it.), but BB video lag is still very real, yet 8.7 still runs smooth (i used the same video folder for both versions to test). 

I even went as far as a fresh windows install and fresh Beta3 and added my systems again using the import function, not just copying the data folder over, and still the same issue.

If you still need my Data folder, give me a poke on Discord or here.

Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wondered if anyone is experiencing the following. I added sega saturn last night and it is present within the consoles section but the sega saturn logo is also showing in the bar with arcade, computers, handhelds etc while running BB.

Also noticed another of my additions is displayed in the same section

On beta 3 btw

BB.png

Edited by InfinityFox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, InfinityFox said:

Just wondered if anyone is experiencing the following. I added sega saturn last night and it is present within the consoles section but the sega saturn logo is also showing in the bar with arcade, computers, handhelds etc while running BB.

Also noticed another of my additions is displayed in the same section

On beta 3 btw

 

 

Edit the Sega Saturn platform in the left sidebar, and check in the "Parents" tab.

Make sure that you only have "Consoles" checked on that list.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there any plans to implement something that will allow you to bulk edit whether the root element is checked under the parent tab when editing a platform. I have a Marvel comic build going that has thousands upon thousands of titles being used as platforms all under platform categories and now it is all duplicated to show both under the Platform Category and under the Root which is definitely not how I want it to be. I just manually edited on my Video Game build and the 20+ platforms on there were long and tedious no way I'm going to be able to do this in the other build. Is there an element in an XML file that is boolean for whether or not this is checked and if so what XML can I find it in.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Did you maybe make a Sega Saturn platform category ?

I've never added any custom categories just used the generic onces within LB

I'm not sure of the changes made in the new beta releases although I elected to download them, but I added the Sega Saturn as usual within the tools menu, choosing Sega Saturn as a platform and importing the roms. In the past they would then be added once imported to the relevant platform catagory.

Looking at the edit menu for Sega Saturn it has root checked as well as consoles and locomailto games are just present in the root.

So what I find strange is both systems that I added did two different things. When you import systems going forward, will they gett added to the root folder and then I manually have to place them in the relevent catagory

I can see how to remedy the problem but seeing as there have been a few issues recently I thought I'd leave things until I checked with you guys

mailto.png

ss.png

Edited by InfinityFox
additional text

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got an error when I clicked on "Add" when I was trying to add a platform.

 

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 8.8-beta-3
Type:    System.NullReferenceException
Site:    Void (Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Forms.AddEditPlatformForm)
Source:  LaunchBox

   at (AddEditPlatformForm )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Forms.AddEditPlatformForm.LoadValues()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Forms.AddEditPlatformForm..ctor(Platform platform)
   at (ManagePlatformsForm , Object , EventArgs )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Forms.ManagePlatformsForm.addButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at (CustomButton , MouseEventArgs )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.FormsControls.CustomButton.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Recent Log:

   1:11:42 AM Music.Prepare Start
   1:11:42 AM Music.Kill Start
   1:11:42 AM Music.Kill Finished
   1:11:42 AM Music.NotifyTrackList Start
   1:11:42 AM Music.NotifyTrackList Invoke WPF
   1:12:40 AM Music.Prepare Start
   1:12:40 AM Music.Kill Start
   1:12:40 AM Music.Kill Finished
   1:12:40 AM Music.NotifyTrackList Start
   1:12:40 AM Music.NotifyTrackList Invoke WPF
   1:13:07 AM Exception

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another bug I have detected is, that my playlists do not update anymore if I add new games to any platform. The new added games are not visible in the playlists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wanted to suggest that the created playlists of MAME (Capcom Play System II, Cave, etc ...) executed with the RocketLauncher according to the name, because in the rocketlauncher I have separated all the machines of arcade, however as in the launchbox it is treated as playslist end up running as the MAME platform in RocketLauncher and I wanted to run separately to be able to use the fades of each one, not to mention that as I use Retroarch I end up using the core of MAME for certain platforms and the FBA for others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2018 at 6:14 AM, mdreffet said:

So I put a playlist inside of a platform. While everything looks fine in Launchbox, in Bigbox I just get a black screen when I click on the platform. I have a clear logo and media setup for the playlist.

I'm guessing it won't show playlists and a list of games in a platform, is that correct?

If there are playlists listed under a platform, it should show the playlists (and not any games) when you open up the platform (assuming you're in Platform Category view in Big Box). Is there more than one playlist under that platform, or only one? We may have an issue yet when there's only one sub-item, though I thought that was resolved.

Also, what theme are you running?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2018 at 10:10 AM, deliyuerek85 said:

I still have this problem in the new beta. 🤔

 

EDIT: And the games in my other playlists are still in wrong order in BigBox.

Hi @deliyuerek85, using your data that you sent me on September 24th, I am seeing games in all of those date-based playlists with beta 3:

image.thumb.png.c5c5c980b4759e490d7c1bfd8c2c8f52.pngAre you sure something didn't change in your collection or the playlists to filter them out? Otherwise, maybe it's a culture/date issue that I need to address.

I am able to replicate the playlists not sorting correctly issue, so I will get that fixed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

If there are playlists listed under a platform, it should show the playlists (and not any games) when you open up the platform (assuming you're in Platform Category view in Big Box). Is there more than one playlist under that platform, or only one? We may have an issue yet when there's only one sub-item, though I thought that was resolved.

Also, what theme are you running?

I had two playlists under that platform. I am running CriticalCid's Unified theme.

While testing things out I only had issues when trying to add playlists to a Platform. Once I created new Platform Categories and moved playlists in there everything worked fine

Edited by mdreffet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...