LaunchBox Community Forums
MoonKnightFTW

My 4 player arcade pedestal!

That looks dope. The NYC sewer caps for the speakers is a very nice touch. It's the little things that make the difference.

So I am curious why you decided to make this instead of a full arcade cabinet? While I am planning on making a full size cabinet I was also considering doing something like this to roll right up in from of my 65 TV and connect via HDMI. Thoughts?

Yea so its all about personal preference.  There's no denying the cool factor of a classic arcade build, but for me, i would not have done it any other way. I also build 2 player table top control panels locally as a hobby. Nobody has ever said they wished to swap to a classic arcade yet. For me personally there are two huge reasons i did this style.

Size and modularity 

It is so much easier to fit people in to game. No need to crowd a small screen. Much more enjoyable and comfortable. Its a lot easier to move. Pedestal base is bolted to control panel. Easy to unbolt and move with just one person.

The modularity factor is the real scale tipper for me. I love that i can HDMI plug it to whatever new and upgraded tv i want. I am not "stuck". And for me, playing on a huge 65" tv wins hands down!!!

It certainly does make sense and I have played retro gaming on my 65 tv as well so I know the feeling of playing turtles arcade on it. Probably will certainly consider scoping a build like this out. Did you reference any previous design plans for this or you just kinda went with your own take on it?

To be quite honest, i scoward the internet for 4 player pedestal plans. I had very little luck and was kind of picky so i eventually gave up completely. I just took some visual inspiration from pictures on line and went at it. The pedestal base is fairly simple and easily tailored to your likes. The majority of my time was figuring out the panel. I didnt want everyone crowded too close and wanted angles as ergonomic as i could. It took a few tries to get right. Especially button arcs. If you make one let me know. I might be qble to help with my drawings. Or i can cut the control panel top for you, predrill and hook you up with a template for easy artwork for a fee ;) save countless hours of trials. I can give dimensions of box that attaches pedestal and panel top too to avoid dimensional issues with joystick plates and wiring.

At this point I am at the stage at doing a cabinet design in sketch and reviewing what it will take to build it. Just thinking about the measurements and what possible places I can bring it around the house.  Appreciate your help and any insight.