LaunchBox Community Forums

display

2ball

2 minutes ago, 2ball said:

What is everybody using for a display?

I am on a 27-inch gaming monitor 144 MHz and I can't say that any games look good.

Maybe my memory is off and they always looked bad?

I wouldnt say they look bad, its just that they are blown up to a higher res. The original consoles were likely 240p for 16 bit and back, and 240p/480p  for 32bit up. so its being stretched to a higher resolution on current displays. And the display tech has changed obviously, you are not using a crt these days.

I know this isn't a solution to games looking worse on modern displays, but some people use shaders to try and recreate the 'look' from old CRTs. If done correctly, your brain will be tricked into filling in some gaps created by the shaders. Just a thought, and of course you need to use emulators that support these shaders. Retroarch is a good one to try if you decide to go down this road. MAME standalone also supports a number of shader effects.

2 minutes ago, dragon57 said:

I know this isn't a solution to games looking worse on modern displays, but some people use shaders to try and recreate the 'look' from old CRTs. If done correctly, your brain will be tricked into filling in some gaps created by the shaders. Just a thought, and of course you need to use emulators that support these shaders. Retroarch is a good one to try if you decide to go down this road. MAME standalone also supports a number of shader effects.

I remember one effect that put scan lines in the screen

3 minutes ago, dragon57 said:

Yeah i use crt shaders myself for that very reason.

Yes, you can go crazy twiddling with all the settings in MAME. Here is a YouTube video where the person really goes all out with different settings. Here it is just to give you an idea.

If you are in the old MAME vector games, you can also tweak MAME to give a pretty convincing scanning vector effect. Here is an example.

34 minutes ago, 2ball said:

that looks good.

are those settings in the mame emulator?

Yes, Mame has HLSL (and BGFX) shader support built in. I personally prefer the HLSL and here is a download for my settings, has raster and vector settings that I think look best but are fully tweak-able for personal tastes.

Retroarch also has its own full suite of shader options including CRT effects. Other emulators though have at best basic CRT shaders and in my opinion do not look so good.

The ini folder has presets and the 2 files I got from you.

then there is  plugin.ini and in.ini on the page with the EXE file.

I did a computer search for mame.ini and nothing came up.

Still looking.  using mame64.  the file will be mame.ini correct?