LaunchBox Community Forums

9.0-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

Sounds all very awesome..and I just installed the newest Beta too. My Fiancee and I have been using Big Box more than ever as of yet and I can't wait to see the newest improvements with it. I may when I have time to try and make some Clear Logos and everything else too. We may try some of the newest Beta later on tonight though and see what may need improvements.

• Like 1

@Jason Carr I'm not sure if this is a new bug, but I can't get "Use Custom Command-Line Parameters" to save in the "Edit Game"/Emulation menu. It will apply the command line parameter the first time I launch the game, but not after. If I go back to edit it, the custom commands are gone.Untitled-1.thumb.png.920446e9887ff9b12d70fa7a471743a4.png

Edited by Omen

Not sure that it's a bug, but with the final version 9.0 when I created child playlists for my console and handheld systems, using the playlist view in bigbox becomes a bit of a mess. I Assume if I tick the boxes for "In X Subcatagory" for Genres and playmodes that it could tidy it up a bit, however there's still an "All Games" entry for every system that has that child playlist.

Basically each system has all of their playlists in the wheel and it's not clear until you stop the wheel what system that catagory is for.

I may be missing something easy here, or is this unintended?

4 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

The Mame DB gets updated shortly after Mame releases, usually within a day.

Thank you @Lordmonkus for this information.

I was also wondering how many days I should wait after a MAME release before re-importing. I am one of those people that has a calendar event on the last Wednesday of every month telling me that MAME is to be release. ?
It would be really nice if the Mame.xml contained within the Metadata.zip had an xml element indicating the version number (just like the version number found in the "mame64.exe -listxml" output).
This way, if for some reason, the process of generating the LB Metadata is delayed, one could always tell by checking the Metadata files before re-importing MAME into LB.

Just a thought for @Jason Carr to consider if quick and easy to implement?.

17 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

Just tested it myself with RA and a different core for a game, restarted LB and worked fine.

I think it's a glitch with the PCSX2 Configurator plugin, as I don't have issues with any other platform, and the issue stops if I use the PCSX2 Configurator to set up a custom config.

4 minutes ago, Omen said:

I think it's a glitch with the PCSX2 Configurator plugin, as I don't have issues with any other platform, and the issue stops if I use the PCSX2 Configurator to set up a custom config.

That sounds very possible, as i expect the plugin is sending its own CL possibly? Maybe @alec100_94 could comment, or maybe take that into consideration for a future update?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

That sounds very possible, as i expect the plugin is sending its own CL possibly? Maybe @alec100_94 could comment, or maybe take that into consideration for a future update?

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. If I launch the game right after adding my own command line augments it will work, but only once. This makes me think the plugin is changing the command line option shortly after each edit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Omen said:

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. If I launch the game right after adding my own command line augments it will work, but only once. This makes me think the plugin is changing the command line option shortly after each edit.

Yeah, i wonder if something in the plugin refreshes once launched that resets that, just a guess though. Hopefully Alec can chime in at some point for clarification.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Brandito said:

Not sure that it's a bug, but with the final version 9.0 when I created child playlists for my console and handheld systems, using the playlist view in bigbox becomes a bit of a mess. I Assume if I tick the boxes for "In X Subcatagory" for Genres and playmodes that it could tidy it up a bit, however there's still an "All Games" entry for every system that has that child playlist.

Basically each system has all of their playlists in the wheel and it's not clear until you stop the wheel what system that catagory is for.

I may be missing something easy here, or is this unintended?

I see. We would need separate clear logos for each and every playlist if you want to view them all in that flat view. If you use the text list, you do get the full names, but creating separate clear logos for every playlist in every platform would be kinda nuts (though certainly possible by just combining the platform and the playlist clear logos I would guess). Either that or we could add something to hide these playlists from the standard playlists view.

8 hours ago, Pacman56 said:

Thank you @Lordmonkus for this information.

I was also wondering how many days I should wait after a MAME release before re-importing. I am one of those people that has a calendar event on the last Wednesday of every month telling me that MAME is to be release. ?
It would be really nice if the Mame.xml contained within the Metadata.zip had an xml element indicating the version number (just like the version number found in the "mame64.exe -listxml" output).
This way, if for some reason, the process of generating the LB Metadata is delayed, one could always tell by checking the Metadata files before re-importing MAME into LB.

Just a thought for @Jason Carr to consider if quick and easy to implement?.

Yeah, I agree that it would be nice for folks to know what version of MAME that the metadata is on. It's not *quite* that simple because we use a combination of the MAME generated metadata as well as a number of list files that usually take a bit to get updated, but I almost always update the MAME metadata itself the day or the day after the new version of MAME is released.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, natemac00 said:

That’s actually what I meant, thanks for clarifying.

So do you just run the full importer again, how does that update work?

If you run the full importer again, it will add any new games without making any duplicates. It won't delete any games that have been removed from the new version of MAME, however.

7 minutes ago, dbalcar said:

any word on a VLC update?  thanks

I looked into this recently and the VLC 3.x series unfortunately makes some major changes that will require significant work to get working with LaunchBox and Big Box. It is on my list, but as it's not a simple task, it's currently not my highest priority.

19 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

I see. We would need separate clear logos for each and every playlist if you want to view them all in that flat view. If you use the text list, you do get the full names, but creating separate clear logos for every playlist in every platform would be kinda nuts (though certainly possible by just combining the platform and the playlist clear logos I would guess). Either that or we could add something to hide these playlists from the standard playlists view.

I think in the play lists view it would make sense to be able to combine all like playlists into a single play list, so the list contains games from multiple platforms, or maybe easier to code would be to have them as children under the platform?

I have no idea how much of an undertaking that would be, just throwing the idea out there.