LaunchBox Community Forums

9.0-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

15 minutes ago, cleverest said:

What just changed in Beta 8?

4 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Beta 8 is out now with the following:

- Improvement: Attract mode in Big Box will now always move into or out of views when the number of items highlighted exceeds the total number of items

- Improvement: Performance has been significantly improved while populating the Big Box platform clear logo image cache for platforms, categories, or playlists that do not have default images

- Fixed: Big Box was caching the nested name incorrectly for platform, playlist, and category wheel images; this was resulting in the wrong images showing up in rare cases

- Fixed: Big Box was not properly saving previous selections for deeply nested platforms, categories, and playlists

On 11/5/2018 at 1:12 PM, Jason Carr said:

@RULLUR @angelobodetti @Brandito Please confirm what version you guys are running, and whether you're seeing delays in LaunchBox and/or Big Box. The latest beta should fix a lot of those performance issues, so I'm surprised you're still running into them.

Keep in mind that you may see performance issues once for each category/playlist, and then they should go away, even after a restart. If you have a lot of playlists or a slower system, populating the initial cache for each item might take a short while.

Currently on beta 8 and I still have performance issues in BigBox. LaunchBox runs well. 

Using latest unified refried theme. 

Worst performance is at the Platform Category level. Once you’re at platform or inside a platform it seems to run well. But even scrolling down from within platform category view could take 30-40 seconds to change. 

16 minutes ago, angelobodetti said:

Currently on beta 8 and I still have performance issues in BigBox. LaunchBox runs well. 

Using latest unified refried theme. 

Worst performance is at the Platform Category level. Once you’re at platform or inside a platform it seems to run well. But even scrolling down from within platform category view could take 30-40 seconds to change. 

Okay, please PM me your data and I'll investigate.

Beta 9 is out now with the following:

- Improvement: Scraping is now improved for no-intro ROMs with tildes (~) in the file names

- Improvement: Big Box alphanumeric indexes will now work properly with favorites-only lists. If no game is found that is not a favorite, Big Box will jump to the first favorited game that starts with that letter instead.

- Improvement: When deleting platforms, categories, or playlists from the sidebar in LaunchBox, warnings have been added to clarify a number of things and reduce confusion

- Improvement: The MAME arcade full-set import process now excludes hacks, prototypes, and bootlegs from the region prioritization process; this helps to ensure that hacks, prototypes, and bootlegs do not end up being used as the default ROM for a game.

- Fixed: Big Box was not properly saving previous selected games for categories and playlists

- Fixed: Big Box attract mode was sometimes starting in the previous state (half-way through a spin) if it had previously been cut off

- Fixed: Big Box attract mode was sometimes starting up too quickly after returning from a game

- Fixed: On some very rare occasions, the Big Box update popup could previously cause stability issues

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Yeah, sorry. Your LaunchBox\Data folder.

Great, just sent it to you. I tested with Beta 9 and i have the same performance issues:

It seems to be at the Platform Category level and it takes a very long time to jump between categories, if i select a category and go into the the platform lists, it is much faster.

I am also noticing that some category videos are loading faster than others - it seem as though the categories with very few platforms (pinball and favorites) load normal speed, but the others are very slow.

1 hour ago, angelobodetti said:

Great, just sent it to you. I tested with Beta 9 and i have the same performance issues:

It seems to be at the Platform Category level and it takes a very long time to jump between categories, if i select a category and go into the the platform lists, it is much faster.

I am also noticing that some category videos are loading faster than others - it seem as though the categories with very few platforms (pinball and favorites) load normal speed, but the others are very slow.

That's wierdly the same exact issue I had,if you remember Jason...but,it got fixed in the following beta after I brought up the issue. I did upgrade to the current beta this morning,and noticed a small amount of lag has returned...but,it's not as bad as it was before.

1 hour ago, Styphelus said:

The only thing i want is to have the details view fixed so it works properly with the Retrified theme from Retrohumanoid.

Technically not "fixed" ,but more like "upgraded"....

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, RetroHumanoid said:

That's wierdly the same exact issue I had,if you remember Jason...but,it got fixed in the following beta after I brought up the issue. I did upgrade to the current beta this morning,and noticed a small amount of lag has returned...but,it's not as bad as it was before.

Technically not "fixed" ,but more like "upgraded"....

Still can't have widescreen for system that require it correct? It's still one view applied to all the themes. Or am I missing something?

Beta 10 is out now. I've fixed a few minor performance issues and focused on Big Box performance.

@angelobodetti Testing with your collection, I was seeing some split-second delays while moving through the categories, though nothing significant. This beta does get rid of those little delays for me, so hopefully it will for you as well, though I don't understand why they would have been so long on your machine.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Beta 10 is out now. I've fixed a few minor performance issues and focused on Big Box performance.

@angelobodetti Testing with your collection, I was seeing some split-second delays while moving through the categories, though nothing significant. This beta does get rid of those little delays for me, so hopefully it will for you as well, though I don't understand why they would have been so long on your machine.

Thank you. I will download and test now. Definitely more than a second, it is literally 30 to 40 seconds from when i press down to when the screen changes or from when the wheel changes to when the video changes. I will record my screen and post if it still happens so you can see.

I have not changed any hardware or software configurations on my PC, so it is definitely a self contained issue.

1 minute ago, angelobodetti said:

Thank you. I will download and test now. Definitely more than a second, it is literally 30 to 40 seconds from when i press down to when the screen changes or from when the wheel changes to when the video changes. I will record my screen and post if it still happens so you can see.

I have not changed any hardware or software configurations on my PC, so it is definitely a self contained issue.

Let me know your PC specs as well. :)

6 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Let me know your PC specs as well. :)

OK beta 10 improved the lag VERY much. Now it seems it only did it for extended periods of time (15 - 20 seconds) the first time up and down the category wheel - almost as if it was caching each platform and it's settings.

I will mess around the next few days and see.

PC Specs:

- Intel i7-6700 3.4GHz
- 16GM RAM
- Geforce GTX 970

So not the most powerful PC but certainly shouldn't be the cause of any BigBox lag.

1 minute ago, natemac00 said:

@Jason Carr Just to nit-pick, these are "Offical Beta Releases", it would only be unofficial if 'I' edited your code and made a release. But you are the developer and are releasing it.

It's not unusual for a developer to label their own beta/non-RC builds as "unofficial". Sometimes that word is even used interchangeably with "experimental".

Regardless, Jason can call his own work whatever he likes ;) 

10 minutes ago, angelobodetti said:

OK beta 10 improved the lag VERY much. Now it seems it only did it for extended periods of time (15 - 20 seconds) the first time up and down the category wheel - almost as if it was caching each platform and it's settings.

I will mess around the next few days and see.

PC Specs:

- Intel i7-6700 3.4GHz
- 16GM RAM
- Geforce GTX 970

So not the most powerful PC but certainly shouldn't be the cause of any BigBox lag.

Okay. It would be nice to figure out what's causing the delays the first time around on your machine, but at least that's an improvement. It's apparently not data-related as I've tested all I can with your data, so hmm. A video might help if you can record it. :)