Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums
Jason Carr

9.0-beta-1 Released

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, Brandito said:

Not sure that it's a bug, but with the final version 9.0 when I created child playlists for my console and handheld systems, using the playlist view in bigbox becomes a bit of a mess. I Assume if I tick the boxes for "In X Subcatagory" for Genres and playmodes that it could tidy it up a bit, however there's still an "All Games" entry for every system that has that child playlist.

Basically each system has all of their playlists in the wheel and it's not clear until you stop the wheel what system that catagory is for.

I may be missing something easy here, or is this unintended?

I see. We would need separate clear logos for each and every playlist if you want to view them all in that flat view. If you use the text list, you do get the full names, but creating separate clear logos for every playlist in every platform would be kinda nuts (though certainly possible by just combining the platform and the playlist clear logos I would guess). Either that or we could add something to hide these playlists from the standard playlists view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Pacman56 said:

Thank you @Lordmonkus for this information.

I was also wondering how many days I should wait after a MAME release before re-importing. I am one of those people that has a calendar event on the last Wednesday of every month telling me that MAME is to be release. 😁
It would be really nice if the Mame.xml contained within the Metadata.zip had an xml element indicating the version number (just like the version number found in the "mame64.exe -listxml" output).
This way, if for some reason, the process of generating the LB Metadata is delayed, one could always tell by checking the Metadata files before re-importing MAME into LB.

Just a thought for @Jason Carr to consider if quick and easy to implement😉.
 

Yeah, I agree that it would be nice for folks to know what version of MAME that the metadata is on. It's not *quite* that simple because we use a combination of the MAME generated metadata as well as a number of list files that usually take a bit to get updated, but I almost always update the MAME metadata itself the day or the day after the new version of MAME is released.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, natemac00 said:

That’s actually what I meant, thanks for clarifying.

So do you just run the full importer again, how does that update work?

If you run the full importer again, it will add any new games without making any duplicates. It won't delete any games that have been removed from the new version of MAME, however.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dbalcar said:

any word on a VLC update?  thanks

I looked into this recently and the VLC 3.x series unfortunately makes some major changes that will require significant work to get working with LaunchBox and Big Box. It is on my list, but as it's not a simple task, it's currently not my highest priority.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

I see. We would need separate clear logos for each and every playlist if you want to view them all in that flat view. If you use the text list, you do get the full names, but creating separate clear logos for every playlist in every platform would be kinda nuts (though certainly possible by just combining the platform and the playlist clear logos I would guess). Either that or we could add something to hide these playlists from the standard playlists view.

I think in the play lists view it would make sense to be able to combine all like playlists into a single play list, so the list contains games from multiple platforms, or maybe easier to code would be to have them as children under the platform?

I have no idea how much of an undertaking that would be, just throwing the idea out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

I looked into this recently and the VLC 3.x series unfortunately makes some major changes that will require significant work to get working with LaunchBox and Big Box. It is on my list, but as it's not a simple task, it's currently not my highest priority.

Thanks and no worries. Just being a security person.  I like to make sure I patch software that has known issues.  Thanks Jason.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Brandito said:

I think in the play lists view it would make sense to be able to combine all like playlists into a single play list, so the list contains games from multiple platforms, or maybe easier to code would be to have them as children under the platform?

I have no idea how much of an undertaking that would be, just throwing the idea out there.

Having them as children under the platform is pretty much exactly what you get with the platform categories. Have you tried the platform categories view?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Having them as children under the platform is pretty much exactly what you get with the platform categories. Have you tried the platform categories view?

Yes, that view is fine, I see the playlist view as still being valuable. I have playlist, platform category and platform views set to hotkeys.

It sounds like if I want console playlists I just need to not use the playlists view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Brandito said:

Yes, that view is fine, I see the playlist view as still being valuable. I have playlist, platform category and platform views set to hotkeys.

It sounds like if I want console playlists I just need to not use the playlists view.

Yeah, for the moment, it seems that way, though I see now how it could be an issue for some people. At some point we may look to overhaul that playlists view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not know whether the below can be possible or not at the moment.

I mainly use BB to game, and would really like to use the Genres feature, but I do not want to generate dozens of Genres lists for each Platform (I like the clean look of my set up platforms); my idea would like to map a button to an action (let's call it 'Genres') so when pressed, depending on the Platform I'm in, it switches to the Genres list, and when choosing one of those genres, it would show me the games under that genre inside the Platform I pressed to button in.
If for example I press the 'Genres' button in the Platforms main screen, it switches to the Genres list, and its content would be for all the games from my set.

Makes sense?

 

Edited by Kondorito

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kondorito said:

I do not know whether the below can be possible or not at the moment.

I mainly use BB to game, and would really like to use the Genres feature, but I do not want to generate dozens of Genres lists for each Platform (I like the clean look of my set up platforms); my idea would like to map a button to an action (let's call it 'Genres') so when pressed, depending on the Platform I'm in, it switches to the Genres list, and when choosing one of those genres, it would show me the games under that genre inside the Platform I pressed to button in.
If for example I press the 'Genres' button in the Platforms main screen, it switches to the Genres list, and its content would be for all the games from my set.

Makes sense?

 

We might be able to do something of that nature in the future. One disadvantage of that approach is that it wouldn't be usable by anyone without training, unless you had a button on your console marked "Filter by Genres" or something. Still, I can see that being useful. One idea that has come up before is to add a new button to the alphanumeric index bar with some simple filter options, so we'll probably go that route eventually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

We might be able to do something of that nature in the future. One disadvantage of that approach is that it wouldn't be usable by anyone without training, unless you had a button on your console marked "Filter by Genres" or something. Still, I can see that being useful. One idea that has come up before is to add a new button to the alphanumeric index bar with some simple filter options, so we'll probably go that route eventually.

Awesome.

I like the index bar approach as well :) The less button presses and menu navigation layers the merrier.

Thanks for taking it into consideration.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Omen @neil9000 this is an issue with my plugin. My plugin pretty much governs the command line for ps2 games, and I don't think I ever fully considered the idea of changing that when there was no config present. It should be easy enough to fix but don't know when I'll get around to doing it. I've taken a bit of a break from the plugin's development as of late.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I do a full set install of mame even though I have skip  mechanical CHECKED, i still get about 4,000 Deviced added. You can see them when you sort by Genere. I do have unchecked skip unplayable games(so Naomi and other roms still get installed).

450BCD84-CA2E-461E-A8B0-98C5E9BE87FD.thumb.png.d26444c9af4caab4b4e5280a488f4941.png

Edited by natemac00

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

If you run the full importer again, it will add any new games without making any duplicates. It won't delete any games that have been removed from the new version of MAME, however.

Will it re-add any games that have been deleted in LB?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dan said:

Will it re-add any games that have been deleted in LB?

I'm going to say if you removed a game marked as playable and run the importer again then yes it will be added again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am seeing in 9.0 when you have Platform selected that it is also show some playlists.  for me it's the Capcom stuff.  As you can see in the image the I have Platform selected but some playlists are still showing up and with different counts for Capcom Play System.  One have 32 and the other 30.  Has anyone else seen this?

playlists err.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

right click on a playlist that is showing select edit and see if the checkbox to show in the platform list is checked if so remove it if you don't want the playlist to show under platforms

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, natemac00 said:

When I do a full set install of mame even though I have skip  mechanical CHECKED, i still get about 4,000 Deviced added. You can see them when you sort by Genere. I do have unchecked skip unplayable games(so Naomi and other roms still get installed).

450BCD84-CA2E-461E-A8B0-98C5E9BE87FD.thumb.png.d26444c9af4caab4b4e5280a488f4941.png

If you take a look at the MAME.xml file in a text editor, you can see the reasons for why games are or are not excluded. That data comes from MAME. It's not always perfect, but it's very close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dan said:

Will it re-add any games that have been deleted in LB?

Yes, it will. It will add anything missing that is in the current version of MAME and selected in the criteria.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...