LaunchBox Community Forums

Don't know if anybody would be interested in this but I am working on a little plugin/EXE to help sort out Images for games in the Launchbox collection.

It's been written in VB.net and there is nothing special about it, it just does the job it was written for, or at least it does on my system.:D

I will say this is my very first post in any forum so please be gentle with me, I have no idea what I am doing here, just making it up as I go...……. WooHoo a you-tube video

I am also learning VB.net while writing the plugin, used VB6 in the past and now on VB.net 2017 so a big leap,

Would anybody be interested in testing it on there system? If I can figure out how to get it out there.

Butler_Soft.zip

Edited by DBut73
Added download link
  • Like 5

Looks like a cool plugin. Really like the ability to see the available media in picture form since makes very easy to pick what want and weed out errors. 

Woa that looks awesome. Will this ever be released or is there a chance to beta test this?

Very nice work!

Some of those features will surely help speed up the process for users to get and manage their media.

I will keep an eye on this topic. 

Posted (edited)

Here we go guys, sorry it's taken so long. Sorting out a few little bugs & had a little problem with visual studio and desktop scaling, long story short it decided to re-arrange most of the forms contents in both the plugin and the executable so I had to put it all back in place. (Note to self. DON'T run Visual Studio 2017 with desktop scaling set above 100%)

Download below. unzip into plugin directory, please look at the read me pdf.

Please let me know what you think, I hope it works, as I said before these are my first .NET programs.

Butler_Soft.zip

Edited by DBut73
Updated Zip file

Hey, hm.. for me apparently its only finding logo's

One thing , maybe thats the reason, if game has region image aka "north america" its not being found. Or any other region for that matter. Only images from root are found.

--Edit, i noticed small button (sub) ? it offers to move image to front image folder? But i dont want to do that. Sometimes there are duplicate games from different region ,that would put them all together

Another thing, which is why i was looking at this in the first place. I have sometimes image name after original game.exe and app cant do "find best match" ? any chance for that?

example game name :

Advanced Busterhawk Gley Lancer

but image name Advanced Busterhawk Gleylancer (Japan) (Translated En)

image name is after game.exe . LB has no trouble finding those

Edited by Undertherainbow

6 hours ago, Undertherainbow said:

One thing , maybe thats the reason, if game has region image aka "north america" its not being found. Or any other region for that matter. Only images from root are found.

--Edit, i noticed small button (sub) ? it offers to move image to front image folder? But i dont want to do that. Sometimes there are duplicate games from different region ,that would put them all together

I have not done much with the regional images at the moment, the root images will be displayed from the plugin.

The EXE version does get the games region from the XML file, but I have to figure out a way of displaying all the regions that are within each of the image types folders. I am not even sure how I am going to handle the regions on the plugin.

6 hours ago, Undertherainbow said:

Another thing, which is why i was looking at this in the first place. I have sometimes image name after original game.exe and app cant do "find best match" ? any chance for that?

example game name :

Advanced Busterhawk Gley Lancer

but image name Advanced Busterhawk Gleylancer (Japan) (Translated En)

image name is after game.exe . LB has no trouble finding those

I will look into this and see what I can do, I did have a string search within the image filenames at one point but it didn't work very well, started showing images that were from other games eg 'Twisted Metal Black' was being picked out when looking for the game 'Black' on the PS2.

I know it still needs a bit more work, but this is only a beta....

Thanks for the feedback

27 minutes ago, DBut73 said:

I have not done much with the regional images at the moment, the root images will be displayed from the plugin.

The EXE version does get the games region from the XML file, but I have to figure out a way of displaying all the regions that are within each of the image types folders. I am not even sure how I am going to handle the regions on the plugin.

I will look into this and see what I can do, I did have a string search within the image filenames at one point but it didn't work very well, started showing images that were from other games eg 'Twisted Metal Black' was being picked out when looking for the game 'Black' on the PS2.

I know it still needs a bit more work, but this is only a beta....

Thanks for the feedback

Maybe use regex search instead? launchbox files do not use special characters, so it shouldnt be too much trouble? Just cut out part ot name which starts with (

Or maybe talk to jason, if there is way to hook into lb api to look and get all images?

Edited by Undertherainbow