LaunchBox Community Forums

Orionsangel's Realistic Arcade Overlays for MAME & Retroarch (Updated 03/25/2024)

Orionsangel

Man I love you. I just discovered all your overlays and they look incredible.

Question, are you hosting a complete set of your overlays somewhere? maybe a share google drive or something ? where you add all your bezels little by little ?

I also found your handhelds overlays on youtube, and I'm not sure they are the latest / full set.

May I ask you for a link where everything can be grabbed ?

As I'm a pure noob when it comes to overlay configuration, I'd be really happy to catch you up on LB discord server if you are around there!

thanks again for your wonderful work !

19 hours ago, meaning_ said:

Man I love you. I just discovered all your overlays and they look incredible.

Question, are you hosting a complete set of your overlays somewhere? maybe a share google drive or something ? where you add all your bezels little by little ?

I also found your handhelds overlays on youtube, and I'm not sure they are the latest / full set.

May I ask you for a link where everything can be grabbed ?

As I'm a pure noob when it comes to overlay configuration, I'd be really happy to catch you up on LB discord server if you are around there!

thanks again for your wonderful work !

Thank you. Glad you like them. 

You can download Pack #1 of my Realistic Arcade Overlay Collection for Retroarch here - https://bit.ly/2SqJg7N

You can download my MAME packs here - https://bit.ly/2C9JTJa

You can download all my MAME solo projects here - https://bit.ly/2UdeVrl

Edited by Orionsangel

2 hours ago, Orionsangel said:

Thank you for the links ! I snatched the #1 and the overlays looks great.

I had a hard time figuring out how to adapt my screen size to fit the overlay (in-game menu -> display overlay -> display in the menu -> back to general menu -> video settings -> custom -> adapt the X and Y position and screen size -> activate the shader)

So I spent a lot of time configuring this for 1 cab, then I noticed that each cab is "slightly" different and needs adaptation.

Question -> could you provide the right video settings together with the cfg files ? for each game ? I assume these are standard in 1080p right ? (and someone could make them based on 4K display as well).

This would avoid people to have to configure each game individually, which is a huge amount or work.

Once again, thank you for the great work, and please join us on discord if you have some time! (I pinged you recently ;)

7 hours ago, meaning_ said:

Thank you for the links ! I snatched the #1 and the overlays looks great.

I had a hard time figuring out how to adapt my screen size to fit the overlay (in-game menu -> display overlay -> display in the menu -> back to general menu -> video settings -> custom -> adapt the X and Y position and screen size -> activate the shader)

So I spent a lot of time configuring this for 1 cab, then I noticed that each cab is "slightly" different and needs adaptation.

Question -> could you provide the right video settings together with the cfg files ? for each game ? I assume these are standard in 1080p right ? (and someone could make them based on 4K display as well).

This would avoid people to have to configure each game individually, which is a huge amount or work.

Once again, thank you for the great work, and please join us on discord if you have some time! (I pinged you recently ;)

The thing is I'm actually in the middle of doing the same thing with MAME. You see these bezels for MAME were made with version 1.93 of MAME. I recently got the newest version of MAME and the 1.93 cfg's are not working with the newest version of MAME. So I'm reconfiguring each bezel for each game. It's a long tedious process and not only that MAME doesn't even save the slider settings. This is one of the many reasons why I'm on now on Retroarch. Retroarch just works and saves all the settings and imo the games look better on Retroarch.

15 hours ago, Orionsangel said:

The thing is I'm actually in the middle of doing the same thing with MAME. You see these bezels for MAME were made with version 1.93 of MAME. I recently got the newest version of MAME and the 1.93 cfg's are not working with the newest version of MAME. So I'm reconfiguring each bezel for each game. It's a long tedious process and not only that MAME doesn't even save the slider settings. This is one of the many reasons why I'm on now on Retroarch. Retroarch just works and saves all the settings and imo the games look better on Retroarch.

yes I'm actually using the mame_libretro core for arcade games as well in RA, it simply....works.

So I'm using your overlays in RA, but still, if I browse through the png files of the arcade overlays, I can see they "screen" of each isn't exactly located at the same X and Y axis position. And that some screens sizes are different. Therefore, correct me if I'm wrong, it is not possible to apply a default X and Y position + default resolution for each horizontal & vertical game.

As an example, I'm using these overlays for consoles and computer systems : https://forums.libretro.com/t/classic-crt-collection-overlay-pack-work-in-progress/19322

While there are several overlays in that pack, the configuration for each of them is actually unique. respectively :

1080p Settings Value
Aspect Ratio Custom
Custom Aspect Ratio X Pos 480
Custom Aspect Ratio Y Pos 180
Custom Aspect Ratio Width 960
Custom Aspect Ratio Height 720
Integer Scale

Off

4 hours ago, meaning_ said:

yes I'm actually using the mame_libretro core for arcade games as well in RA, it simply....works.

So I'm using your overlays in RA, but still, if I browse through the png files of the arcade overlays, I can see they "screen" of each isn't exactly located at the same X and Y axis position. And that some screens sizes are different. Therefore, correct me if I'm wrong, it is not possible to apply a default X and Y position + default resolution for each horizontal & vertical game.

As an example, I'm using these overlays for consoles and computer systems : https://forums.libretro.com/t/classic-crt-collection-overlay-pack-work-in-progress/19322

While there are several overlays in that pack, the configuration for each of them is actually unique. respectively :

1080p Settings Value
Aspect Ratio Custom
Custom Aspect Ratio X Pos 480
Custom Aspect Ratio Y Pos 180
Custom Aspect Ratio Width 960
Custom Aspect Ratio Height 720
Integer Scale

Off

That's a good idea. When I finish the cfgs for the newest MAME I'll add them to the pack.

As you might have seen I'm also chit chatting with frenki on that "classic crt overlays" project page. : https://forums.libretro.com/t/classic-crt-collection-overlay-pack-work-in-progress/19322/26?u=meaning

It looks like he did all the hard work here, configuring reshade, and other tools, in order to have a great shader + overlays experience, with even overlays swapping based on controller key combinations and stuff.

I think it might be a great improvement to figure out how to configure this based on your overlays packs (and others of course, based on the tastes of each one).

I did not jump in a real discussion with frenki, but as reshade do use config files like any other app, it might be that his settings could be backuped and shared, and re-applied easily on a per "screen resolution" basis.

The advantage of reshade, as far as I got it, is that you easily can apply it to any type of emulator or even windows games.