LaunchBox Community Forums
InfinityFox

Making ScummVM portable

15 hours ago, Klopjero said:

while you're doing that allow me to just blatantly recommend my own 3d box set :P 

Nice work!  I’d forgotten how may classic games there were in this era. Better start playing, although there’s far to much editing and rearranging of my setup to do to play games 😀😀

Edited by InfinityFox

Thanks, and thanks for the video guide! I actually found that last night, but saw that it was from 2013 (I think), wasn't sure if it was still valid. I use Shadowplay for recording, and while the video quality looks good to me, I'm not enough of a videophile to know if it's not accurate enough.

On 12/6/2018 at 4:40 AM, InfinityFox said:

I run my LB install from an external drive and connect it sometimes to another computer. Following the Tutorials on the Launchbox YouTube channel it seems that the ScummVM ini is created in your roaming/appdata folder on your system drive, or something like that. Any ideas how to make the ini populate in the ScummVM folder within the LB root directory.

I’ve found some sort of answer at the ScummVM forum but it a bit over my head and there is no feedback so thought I’d ask here

Thanks guys

I updated my launcher tool into a plugin, it uses relative paths, and a local ini.  So that seems to help with portability.   Just keep it all inside the launchbox folder and you should be good. 

Unfortunately scummvm will write absolute paths into its ini file, but that shouldn't matter unless you try to launch the game directly out of scummvm.  My launcher/*bat files will have the relative path as parameter. 

The plugin will put the BatRunner.exe into your main launchbox folder when you create the launchers, DO NOT MOVE IT.  WHY?  Well because the .bat file contains relative paths which are based on the the main launchbox directory.  Use the BatRunner.exe as your ScummVM emulator application.  Scan the *.bat files as yours ScummVM roms.   Once you create launchers don't move your games relative to the launchbox directory.  Portability will be at the entire launchbox directory for this.

Edited by epicfail
  • Thanks 1

The timing here was perfect for me! I was actually putting off a solution for making my ScummVM games portable because it was one thing that I couldn't setup in a satisfactory way. I actually started typing up a post here to look for ideas, when I checked out your (epicfail) launcher to try something with it before making a post... and lo & behold, you had just updated it so that it's truly portable! It works perfectly, so I greatly appreciate it!

Just wish I had a solution for setting up the "Extra" folder within ScummVM so that it's also portable for the Roland MT-32 emulation, since the ScummVM INI settings are essentially hardwired. I plan on giving a few of my friends my setup, so I'm trying to make it preconfiged as possible, but in this case, I think I'll just give them instructions on how to set up ScummVM for the first time. Pretty easy to explain. 

6 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

The timing here was perfect for me! I was actually putting off a solution for making my ScummVM games portable because it was one thing that I couldn't setup in a satisfactory way. I actually started typing up a post here to look for ideas, when I checked out your (epicfail) launcher to try something with it before making a post... and lo & behold, you had just updated it so that it's truly portable! It works perfectly, so I greatly appreciate it!

Just wish I had a solution for setting up the "Extra" folder within ScummVM so that it's also portable for the Roland MT-32 emulation, since the ScummVM INI settings are essentially hardwired. I plan on giving a few of my friends my setup, so I'm trying to make it preconfiged as possible, but in this case, I think I'll just give them instructions on how to set up ScummVM for the first time. Pretty easy to explain. 

Good catch, sounds like I missed some stuff.  The squeaky wheel gets the grease.  Your squeaking, I think I have the grease to fix it.  Give me a day or so to attempt to deal with that. 

Do you know where the save files are going?  I may need to address that aspect of portability as well.

I just keep the save files on default, so I'm actually not sure where they go. I just use the default LaunchBox\ScummVM folder to store the MT-32 roms, but ScummVM remembers the actual physical path, so, as far as I know, there's no way to tell ScummVM to check the file location relative to the LaunchBox\ScummVM folder structure (maybe the ini can be edited manually to do this?).

3 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

I just keep the save files on default, so I'm actually not sure where they go. I just use the default LaunchBox\ScummVM folder to store the MT-32 roms, but ScummVM remembers the actual physical path, so, as far as I know, there's no way to tell ScummVM to check the file location relative to the LaunchBox\ScummVM folder structure (maybe the ini can be edited manually to do this?).

Try my update.  Honestly I couldn't figure out the MT-32 setup with or without my launcher.  It always sounded the same for me.  Its probably something dumb.  I think my update may work for you.       

I added local save folder and local extra folder.  The drop down will let you import your existing extra and saves into the local.  The *.bat launchers will have to be recreated with the new version.

EDIT: I went back I missed the setting with the default audio device.  Once I set that to MT-32 all was good, I left my extra and save game folders unset in the .ini.  Sound is amazing, thanks for showing me this.

Edited by epicfail

Just tried it out, works fantastic! This solved a major problem I was having, and I'm glad you got to experience the awesomeness of the MT-32. It's definitely something I recommend everyone to use to get the "full" experience. Thanks for solving this issue so quickly!