LaunchBox Community Forums

Multi Images Startup Theme

neil9000

Multi Images Startup Theme

View File

This is a Startup/Shutdown theme for Launchbox 9.3 and above.

Four images are displayed in this theme, top row left to right, 3D Box, Clear Logo and Screenshot. The bottom right of the window will show Cart - Front for cart based systems or a rotating Disc - Front for CD/DVD based systems. If you have a CD/DVD based system that is not included in the theme you can copy/paste one of the existing ones from the startup theme folder and rename it to match your system name.

To install simply right click the zip and choose "extract all" once extracted copy to Launchbox/StartupThemes. 

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, bundangdon said:

Thanks a lot for sharing this theme! @neil9000 just wondering, do you know how to increase the size of the boxes? 

Unfortunately i couldnt work that out, i know nothing about xaml i just used trial and error and some educated guesses to get it like that. Hopefully someone who actually knows xaml will dig into the code more thoroughly than i can and offer some pointers. 

44 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Unfortunately i couldnt work that out, i know nothing about xaml i just used trial and error and some educated guesses to get it like that. Hopefully someone who actually knows xaml will dig into the code more thoroughly than i can and offer some pointers. 

Okay, thanks for the quick reply. I tried to change some of the code myself but couldn't figure it out

1 minute ago, bundangdon said:

Okay, thanks for the quick reply. I tried to change some of the code myself but couldn't figure it out

Yeah, I think it is to do with the column sizes, but I didn't want to mess with those in case I broke everything. Personaly what I would like is clear logo top left, 3d box top right, and cart/disc bottom right. I don't have the skills for that though unfortunately. 

3 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Yeah, I think it is to do with the column sizes, but I didn't want to mess with those in case I broke everything. Personaly what I would like is clear logo top left, 3d box top right, and cart/disc bottom right. I don't have the skills for that though unfortunately. 

Me neither. Thanks a lot for the effort though!

Edited by bundangdon

@bundangdon You would change the RowDefinition height values here to make the boxes bigger:

<Grid.RowDefinitions>
                <RowDefinition Height="10*" />
                <RowDefinition Height="2*" />
                <RowDefinition Height="16*" />
                <RowDefinition Height="20*" />
                <RowDefinition Height="40*" />
            </Grid.RowDefinitions>

You can see in the Image object for the cart that the row is "1", which actually means the second line because it's zero-based, and Grid.RowSpan="3" means that it spans three rows:

<Image Grid.Row="1" Grid.RowSpan="3" Grid.Column="3" Source="{Binding SelectedGame.CartFrontImagePath}" VerticalAlignment="Center"
                   HorizontalAlignment="Center" RenderOptions.BitmapScalingMode="HighQuality">
                <Image.Effect>
                    <DropShadowEffect BlurRadius="10" Direction="-90" RenderingBias="Quality" ShadowDepth="1" />
                </Image.Effect>
            </Image>

The height values with the stars on the RowDefinitions are basically like percentages.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jason Carr said:

@bundangdon You would change the RowDefinition height values here to make the boxes bigger:

<Grid.RowDefinitions>
                <RowDefinition Height="16*" />
                <RowDefinition Height="20*" />
                <RowDefinition Height="40*" />
            </Grid.RowDefinitions>

You can see in the Image object for the cart that the row is "1", which actually means the second line because it's zero-based, and Grid.RowSpan="3" means that it spans three rows:

<Image Grid.Row="1" Grid.RowSpan="3" Grid.Column="3" Source="{Binding SelectedGame.CartFrontImagePath}" VerticalAlignment="Center"
                   HorizontalAlignment="Center" RenderOptions.BitmapScalingMode="HighQuality">
                <Image.Effect>
                    <DropShadowEffect BlurRadius="10" Direction="-90" RenderingBias="Quality" ShadowDepth="1" />
                </Image.Effect>
            </Image>

The height values with the stars on the RowDefinitions are basically like percentages.

Excellent, Thanks Jason. I did mess with it a bit, but i broke the theme. :) I didnt realize that it was zero based, so thats likely where i went wrong as i tried changing all those percentages around and was starting from a 1 rather than 0 for the rows and columns.

• Like 1

Updated to 1.0.3

New:

Moved images around and added two new ones. There are now three images on the top row from left to right, 3D Box, Clear Logo, Screenshot. 
The bottom row will have in the bottom right either a Cart Front or spinning disc depending on the system.1771694483_Screenshot(255).thumb.png.000e8ed61276ac53ccd43cd6cbbb017e.png1628714322_Screenshot(260).thumb.png.163a3e93f83a1dec80de7e615e3353dd.png113558578_Screenshot(263).thumb.png.b65cbdbd77d6b795e6f5930f7b4a8f26.png483995123_Screenshot(264).thumb.png.99c44f9ddd9a267d272088619f068635.png
If you have a disc system i have not included you can just copy/paste one of the existing disc system xaml's and change the name to match your system.

• 3 months later...

Do the themes support animated GIFs or a loop of images? RocketLauncher startup and shutdown screens can have per rom graphics, so pac-man may have a chomping guy in the lower left, or metal slug may have the guy running. I believe RL does it by specifying a series of however many image files you want to create the animation from, but an animated GIF would work too.

5 hours ago, FlightRisk said:

Do the themes support animated GIFs or a loop of images? RocketLauncher startup and shutdown screens can have per rom graphics, so pac-man may have a chomping guy in the lower left, or metal slug may have the guy running. I believe RL does it by specifying a series of however many image files you want to create the animation from, but an animated GIF would work too.

Yes, animated gifs are supported, though they do require special syntax. I know the syntax is here on the forums somewhere, but I'd have to search for it. You could certainly use XAML to load up a separate GIF image for each game.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Yes, animated gifs are supported, though they do require special syntax. I know the syntax is here on the forums somewhere, but I'd have to search for it. You could certainly use XAML to load up a separate GIF image for each game.

Funny that I was going to copy a link to some code for this to you and then in my searching found a thread where you mentioned you are already using it! (WpfAnimatedGif on Github). Seems to be the only way to handle transparency and GIFs with funky frame durations. Have you seen he has updated the code and renamed the project? See here https://github.com/XamlAnimatedGif/XamlAnimatedGif He genericised it to work in non WPF XAML and it now uses a lot less memory due to more efficient frame loading. Are you using this newer code?

Haven't tried it yet, but guessing this should work in the XAML:

<Image Stretch="None" gif:ImageBehavior.AnimatedSource="/Images/animation.gif" />

or give it parameters. There are several available in the library:

<Image gif:ImageBehavior.RepeatBehavior="3x"gif:ImageBehavior.AnimatedSource="Images/animated.gif" />

and I found this from Jason on how to do it in BigBox, so it may be simple to adapt this to Startup themes. Do I need to use the "UserControl" tag in the Startup theme XAML?

You can add animated gifs to Big Box now <redacted> Just put this in the header UserControl tag: xmlns:gif="clr-namespace:WpfAnimatedGif;assembly=BigBox" And then, wherever you want to use a gif, create a new Image tag and add a property to it like this: gif:ImageBehavior.AnimatedSource="D:\Cat-party.gif" 

22 hours ago, FlightRisk said:

Funny that I was going to copy a link to some code for this to you and then in my searching found a thread where you mentioned you are already using it! (WpfAnimatedGif on Github). Seems to be the only way to handle transparency and GIFs with funky frame durations. Have you seen he has updated the code and renamed the project? See here https://github.com/XamlAnimatedGif/XamlAnimatedGif He genericised it to work in non WPF XAML and it now uses a lot less memory due to more efficient frame loading. Are you using this newer code?

Haven't tried it yet, but guessing this should work in the XAML:

<Image Stretch="None" gif:ImageBehavior.AnimatedSource="/Images/animation.gif" />

or give it parameters. There are several available in the library:

<Image gif:ImageBehavior.RepeatBehavior="3x"gif:ImageBehavior.AnimatedSource="Images/animated.gif" />

and I found this from Jason on how to do it in BigBox, so it may be simple to adapt this to Startup themes. Do I need to use the "UserControl" tag in the Startup theme XAML?

You need this xlmns code up in the top of the xaml. You can see an example of gifs working in GridBlocked startup theme.

xmlns:gif="clr-namespace:WpfAnimatedGif;assembly=Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf"	

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...