LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox won't even open

Mr_x92

20 minutes ago, The_Keeper86 said:

Where are the xml files located? And how do I restore the backups? I have a a lot of them in the backups folder.. I'm sorry if I'm being a pain :/

It can unfortunately be a pain to sort through the Backups folder, and there's not really any advice I can give you other than to use the ones with latest dates. The problem is figuring out which files are corrupted, which isn't easy. If you open up the files in your LaunchBox\Data folder (and subfolders) one-by-one in a text editor, you might be able to figure out which of them are corrupted, so I would start there.

28 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

It can unfortunately be a pain to sort through the Backups folder, and there's not really any advice I can give you other than to use the ones with latest dates. The problem is figuring out which files are corrupted, which isn't easy. If you open up the files in your LaunchBox\Data folder (and subfolders) one-by-one in a text editor, you might be able to figure out which of them are corrupted, so I would start there.

Did one last fresh install on the same HDD then copied everything from my old LB folder to the new one and it worked. I had two corrupt xml files which LB told me about.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I got the same issue, im using version 9.3 I go to update to latest 1.4, and it freeze crashes at the last part install windows .

I tried the suggested repairs and deleting old files etc.

I tried reinstalling 1.4 several times.

I installed 9.3 and it deleted all my games, made me sign in license. So fk this is annoying how a update doesnt work, where is our option to not auto install other parts of windows etc.?

Ok so after restarting computer launchbox still wont open on 9.3 :/

Edited by NNEMO

45 minutes ago, NNEMO said:

I installed 9.3 and it deleted all my games, made me sign in license.

Never seen any install or reinstall of an older version:

1. Delete games. LB does not touch your games files so it cannot delete them. It never even touches them to run them. It just send a command line to the emulator.

2. Make anyone sign in license. The license resides in the LB folder and on startup LB looks for it. You never need to sign in.

Missing games and no license showing when LB opened after you installed the prior version tells me when you reinstalled the prior version it installed it in a different location? Too many times have we seen people reinstall a prior version only to have LB either install in a completely different drive or more common install into a second LB folder such as \Launchbox\Launchbox (like in the pic).

Do you see a Launchbox folder in your Launchbox folder? Or double check to see if it installed somewhere else.

49 minutes ago, NNEMO said:

So fk this is annoying how a update doesnt work, where is our option to not auto install other parts of windows etc.?

You cannot pick and choose what Windows dependencies you want LB to install. LB has to install the dependencies it needs to be able to run properly. 

Screen Shot 2020-09-12 at 7.57.31 PM.png

I installed 1.4, I did install it in a diff location, I thought it was my c drive.

So now what should I do?

My games are in the cdrive launchbox.

I haven't updated launchbox in along time, maybe I should have manually backed up all my files first?

I looked through the forums and tried a few things, I don't know how to restore from a backup, how do I do that?

Edited by NNEMO

1 minute ago, NNEMO said:

I installed 1.4, I did install it in a diff location, I thought it was my c drive.

So now what should I do?

My games are in the cdrive launchbox.

I haven't updated launchbox in along time, maybe I should have manually backed up all my files first?

Reinstall it to the original folder. If you installed it in a completely different folder that is why it does not show your games. The new folder will not contain the platform xml from your prior imports. Also you mean 11.4 right? You keep posting 1.4. 

I fixed my issue. Im not sure what step did it, but its working now.

I removed all microsoft programs, netframeworks, c++,     "I had alot of programs listed"

I renamed my current Launchbox folder in my c:drive to Launchboxold

I installed the Launchbox 11.4 in c:drive, it made me download and install .netframework 48      ndp48-web, and windowsdesktop-runtime-3.1.8-win-x64.      "I think launchbox still would not load"

I updated my gtx1050ti graphics card driver with latest, and when it was finishing, it made me download 2x windows update files for windows 7, windows6.1-kb4474419-v3-x64_b5614c6cea5cb4e198717789633dca16308ef79c            windows6.1-kb4490628-x64_d3de52d6987f7c8bdc2c015dca69eac96047c76e

I restarted computer for these 2 windows 7 updates "note: I turned off my win7 updates"     Now it works

I renamed the newly installed Launchbox folder to LaunchboxCOPY, and renamed my original folder from Launchboxold to Launchbox 

NOTE: because of my multiple updating to 1.4 attempts, my original folder is updated to 1.4 when I launch it. Im using win7 pro, with no rivatuner and no antivirus 

• 3 months later...

Won't open for me. It opened on the wrong screen, so I closed it to try to load it on the right screen and now it won't launch at all. Looked through this thread, obviously restarted my PC, nothing works. It's just dead and doesn't even attempt to open. 

2 minutes ago, hawkguy said:

Won't open for me. It opened on the wrong screen, so I closed it to try to load it on the right screen and now it won't launch at all. Looked through this thread, obviously restarted my PC, nothing works. It's just dead and doesn't even attempt to open. 

Can you be a bit more descriptive as i dont know what "opened on the wrong screen" is supposed to mean. If Launchbox itself is now not opening though, i would check your antivirus, its probably not very good and deleting the launchbox.dll file.

23 hours ago, hawkguy said:

If LaunchBox is running but not showing because it's opening on a hidden screen, you can use Windows to move the window without having to see it. Assuming you're using Windows 10, rest your mouse on the LaunchBox icon in the taskbar, and wait for the little popup that shows the window's contents to show up. Once it appears, right-click on the popup and select Maximize. That should solve it.

49 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

If LaunchBox is running but not showing because it's opening on a hidden screen, you can use Windows to move the window without having to see it. Assuming you're using Windows 10, rest your mouse on the LaunchBox icon in the taskbar, and wait for the little popup that shows the window's contents to show up. Once it appears, right-click on the popup and select Maximize. That should solve it.

I appreciate the response but that was not the issue. It wasn't opening at all. In the Discord I was able to find out my core folder was missing. Not sure how it went missing between opening the program 10 seconds apart but that was the issue! I ran the updater and it gave me a new core folder and it worked again. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I can't open LaunchBox. The loading window appears and goes until "loading interface" appears, then it disappears and nothing happens. I already tried reinstalling LaunchBox, but to no avail. I also tried reinstalling the latest Netframework, but it says I already have it installed. What do I do?

Edited by EddieNash

5 minutes ago, EddieNash said:

I can't open LaunchBox. The loading window appears and goes until loading interface, then it disappears and nothing happens. I already tried reinstalling LaunchBox, but to no avail. I also tried reinstalling the latest Netframework, but it says I already have it installed. WHat do I do?

I would check that your antivirus hasnt deleted some files, specifically the Launchbox.dll.

13 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

What OS version are you on? I know you said you tried re-installing, was that over the top of your existing install, or to another location on your PC?

I'm using Windows 10. I tried reinstalling both on top and in a different HD, but it still didn't open. I also don't have a Backups folder as far as I know. I'm trying to install it for the first time in this PC.

LaunchBox Problem.jpg

I would ensure that you have .NET Core runtime installed (noticed you mentioned Framework which we are no longer on). Also look and see if you have any logs in the Logs folder that could help us figure out what may be going on. Typically when I've seen LaunchBox do this for new users it is one of the following issues:

.NET Core didn't install correctly

Drive permissions are messed up

Video driver issues

Antivirus shutting down/interfering with the process