LaunchBox Community Forums

9.2-beta-2 Released

Jason Carr

1 minute ago, Jason Carr said:

Sure, all this stuff is available already via the custom themes. I'm sure we'll have plenty of theme developers popping up for this soon enough if you don't want to dive into it yourself.

O you can't just throw your bg images where you want them like you can with say box art? You'd have to have a theme edit? 

32 minutes ago, Omen said:

@Jason Carr It seems a lot of people want the start screens to say up for a bit longer. Would it be possible to add an option for a execution delay time? A slider just like the delay time but it delays the execution of the rom/emulator for whatever the given amount of time is.

Yeah, that makes sense. I'll probably add a global "minimum startup screen time" setting in the global settings here at some point.

• Like 6

Beta 3 is out now guys. A few new/updated things from today's development:

• Mouse cursors are now hidden during game launches
  • New option on emulators to hide the mouse cursor while the game is running
  • Auto-generated playlists have been removed from the "Add to Playlist" menu option in LaunchBox in order to prevent the list from getting too unwieldy
  • Overhauled plugin system focusing on game launching and better access to the new LaunchBox interface

Details on the overhauled plugin system are here:

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Omen said:

@Jason Carr It seems a lot of people want the start screens to say up for a bit longer. Would it be possible to add an option for a execution delay time? A slider just like the delay time but it delays the execution of the rom/emulator for whatever the given amount of time is.

Highly agreed. With a startup screen of less than 1 second, this feature isn't being used to its full potential, except for people who like everything to move super-fast, or maybe i'm just getting too old for all that super-fast stuff :)

• Like 1

When i use the letter shortcut to jump to games in LaunchBox,  the next movement of any keyboard arrow keys causes it to jump back to the last game that was selected or the general area.  Example, Atari 2600, Asteroids is currently selected, press "K", selection jumps to Kaboom.  move the arrow down to scroll through the k's, it jumps up to the game Atlantis which is one game below Asteroids in my collection.  If i click the mouse first before using the arrow key it allows me to scroll without the jump.  It also jumps whenever the space-bar or enter is pressed.  Pressing another letter key does jump to the appropriate letter instead of jumping back to the last selected.

On a side note, would it be possible to implement the shortcut letter keys into the platform names,

7 hours ago, ed20910 said:

When i use the letter shortcut to jump to games in LaunchBox,  the next movement of any keyboard arrow keys causes it to jump back to the last game that was selected or the general area.  Example, Atari 2600, Asteroids is currently selected, press "K", selection jumps to Kaboom.  move the arrow down to scroll through the k's, it jumps up to the game Atlantis which is one game below Asteroids in my collection.  If i click the mouse first before using the arrow key it allows me to scroll without the jump.  It also jumps whenever the space-bar or enter is pressed.  Pressing another letter key does jump to the appropriate letter instead of jumping back to the last selected.

On a side note, would it be possible to implement the shortcut letter keys into the platform names,

Sadly I can't replicate this (the arrow keys work properly after using letter shortcuts for me), so it's gonna be one of those finicky issues to fix. I suspect that it's somehow system-specific. If anyone else wants to try and replicate this to see if we can narrow it down any, I'm all ears.

Shortcut letter keys for platform names is a new request I believe. I'll add it to my list but I probably won't be able to tackle it soon unless it proves to be a more common request.

Beta 4 is out now with some more major improvements for startup screens:

• Added themes for shutdown screens
  • Added global settings in both LaunchBox and Big Box for Minimum Startup Screen Display Time and Minimum Shutdown Screen Display Time
  • Made the extraction progress bar smoother towards the end
  • Added a better description in the Edit Emulator Game Startup Screen tab for the Startup Delay setting
  • Better resource management for startup screens should result in them being completely removed from memory when closed
  • Fix for potential issue where the mouse cursor would not show back up if an error occurs while the game is launched
  • Duplicate startup prevention when spamming the play button
  • Pressing random keys or mouse buttons on the startup screen or during the startup process should no longer hijack focus and prevent the game from being displayed

For the shutdown screens, they work the same way as the startup screens do for themes. Shutdown screens will use the same selected theme as the startup screens, and just use "Default Shutdown.xaml" or "Nintendo Entertainment System Shutdown.xaml" instead of the versions for startup screen without "Shutdown" appended.

The startup screens are working amazingly well at this point in my testing, so I'm very pleased with where we're at. There are some more items to tackle, but I believe we're nearing the end. I'll update the first post of this topic again for status. Please let me know if you find a particular game or emulator that is not working well with the new startup screens.

• Like 12

+1. With some emulators the start up screen lasts for less than a second.  Sorta takes away the beauty of it all.  Maybe a per platform delay as RA has multiple cores with different load times.  Great start me likes :) 

12 minutes ago, Antny said:

+1. With some emulators the start up screen lasts for less than a second.  Sorta takes away the beauty of it all.  Maybe a per platform delay as RA has multiple cores with different load times.  Great start me likes :) 

With the latest beta, the startup screens have a much improved loading time. Just tried retroarch with a few different cores and the startup screen now displays for more than 2 seconds. @Jason Carr great work once again! :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Sadly I can't replicate this (the arrow keys work properly after using letter shortcuts for me), so it's gonna be one of those finicky issues to fix. I suspect that it's somehow system-specific. If anyone else wants to try and replicate this to see if we can narrow it down any, I'm all ears.

@Jason Carr not sure if this helps, i was in the list view in launchbox when it happens.  i just started using the list view and didnt even think to include that info on the earlier post.  tested the image view and works as intended on both of my builds.  both dells, one desktop and one laptop

12 hours ago, ed20910 said:

Sounds almost like what happens with me for the longest when I Edit a game and then hit Random to another game, and if you don't wait for things to change of the newly Edited details then you'll get switched back to the previous game you just Edited. At one time it seemed to be fixed, but seems that issue is back. I'm also not sure if it's just my Laptop or what, but I also am back to it stretching and buffering to an almost unresponsive state after I Edit a game.

I haven't had my Laptop off for about 2 weeks, and I restarted it last night for Window 10's Update to where Beta 3 seemed messed up to where almost nothing wanted to Launch. After all that I it seems things are somewhat better but things are running kinda slow now. I always have LaunchBox open when my Laptop on since I constantly go back and Edit so much of what I have and all that, so I may have to find time to just turn the Laptop off for a few hours even though my schedule is a constant rush in which I forget to turn it off as I leave out to take care of stuff

1 hour ago, Antny said:

Make sure you're on the latest beta, as it sounds like you're missing the features in beta 4.

40 minutes ago, ed20910 said:

@Jason Carr not sure if this helps, i was in the list view in launchbox when it happens.  i just started using the list view and didnt even think to include that info on the earlier post.  tested the image view and works as intended on both of my builds.  both dells, one desktop and one laptop

Gotcha, @neil9000 mentioned this as well. Now that I know it's the list view I can look into it. On my list. :)