LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox 9.2 Change Log

Lordmonkus

Version 9.2 - Released December 20, 2018

- New Premium Feature: Game startup and shutdown screens are now available in LaunchBox and Big Box! They are fully themeable and are now on by default for premium users; you can disable them separately in the LaunchBox and Big Box options under Game Startup. Emulator-specific options are also available in the LaunchBox emulator settings under the Game Startup tab, as well as game-specific settings in the Startup tab of the Edit Game window. See the LaunchBox\StartupThemes folder for the theme files.

- New Premium Feature: The new startup screens will show a progress bar while ROM archives are being extracted (if applicable)

- New Premium Feature: The new startup screens will allow you to cancel launching the game by pressing Escape or whatever key you've bound to Back in Big Box. The Back controller button should work as well.

- New Feature: A new "Export/Copy ROM Files from Selected Games to New Folder" option is now available under the Tools menu in LaunchBox. This is helpful, for example, if you wanted to export a particular genre playlist of ROM files to an EverDrive or similar.

- Improvement: With the new startup screen features (assuming they are enabled) it should now be nearly impossible to start multiple instances of a game or mess up window focus by spamming buttons or keys during game launch

- Improvement: Auto-generated playlists have been removed from the "Add to Playlist" menu option in LaunchBox in order to prevent the list from getting too unwieldy

- Improvement: Plugins have been overhauled with better interfaces for startup processes (including the new startup screens) and accessing the new LaunchBox interface. Documentation is available here: http://pluginapi.launchbox-app.com/

- Improvement: When LaunchBox is repopulating games or populating different games, the games lists will now fade out and disallow selecting a different game. This should both serve as a visual cue that LaunchBox is processing and also help to prevent selection confusion/misselections.

- Fixed: Various Big Box screen positioning issues with multiple monitors that use different DPI settings

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Wonderful work like always! @Jason Carr I asked you about this extract/copy function before (about selecting .cpp files) but it does work as I hoped, I might not have explained my question in proper english I think as this IS what I was waiting for as I can select and copy the roms from different arcade systems to other folders so I can split them for other platforms/emulators. Thanks brother! \m/

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

Wonderful work like always! @Jason Carr I asked you about this extract/copy function before (about selecting .cpp files) but it does work as I hoped, I might not have explained my question in proper english I think as this IS what I was waiting for as I can select and copy the roms from different arcade systems to other folders so I can split them for other platforms/emulators. Thanks brother! \m/

Ah, I figured you needed it to divide up the MAME zip files or something. You do have to be careful when moving MAME files around because of the dependencies.

• Like 1

Just now, Jason Carr said:

Ah, I figured you needed it to divide up the MAME zip files or something. You do have to be careful when moving MAME files around because of the dependencies.

True but I'm deleting mame games all the time as they are self contained (always forget out the top of my head what they call it, non-split?) so it's no problem at all :) Really like the start up and shutdown themes as well while I thought I could do without these beforehand, now I think I can't anymore lol ;) 

• Like 1

Gotta give some props to the new startup/shutdown screens feature (and to all the theme makers). 

I originally had some platforms working decently with Rocketlauncher, but it was always rough to work with.  In the end I just stopped messing with it, and I think I'm going to just drop it altogether now.  My original thought of using manuals/walkthroughs via the rocketlauncher pause menu isn't worth the headache (especially since I'd like to spend more time enjoying LB and the games than setting it all up :))

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kondorito said:

Guys, do you know if there is a way to select which bg to display in the fades? I saw the Platform examples in the default startup theme folder, but could not get my head around it. I would like a specific bg I have for each platform for all its games, and not each game's fanart. 

I believe @RetroHumanoid will be coming out with a theme soon that does this. So it should be easy to tweak his once it's out.

18 minutes ago, Kondorito said:

Guys, do you know if there is a way to select which bg to display in the fades? I saw the Platform examples in the default startup theme folder, but could not get my head around it. I would like a specific bg I have for each platform for all its games, and not each game's fanart. 

Jason is right..I am currently working on one with a default background for every platform...and it will be very "tweakable"...I am putting every project on hold at the moment though due to the holidays,but,I will pick it back up after new years,and it shouldn't take long to get the initial setup out.

• Like 5

Startup window feature is amazing, thanks Jason!

In saying that, is there a way to turn this off for games that have no emulator assigned to them (i.e. Steam)?

EDIT: Figured it out. Go to Steam/Windows platform, select all games and use bulk edit wizard to override startup screen settings.

Edited by Thornback
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, bradipo666 said:

photo_2018-12-22_17-57-03.thumb.jpg.fcf772cc59f694d5d1d9cc4babac2fe5.jpgwhen I try to launch a daphne game, the cmd window appears and the game screen goes into the background

Okay, I'll add it to my list to look into it. I assume you've tried playing with all the game startup emulator settings? You can just disable it for that emulator for now if it's not working yet.

28 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Okay, I'll add it to my list to look into it. I assume you've tried playing with all the game startup emulator settings? You can just disable it for that emulator for now if it's not working yet. 

yes I have tried to change game startup emulator settings but without success... now i have disabled it. ok, I'll wait for a solution, thanks Jason!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chris Kant said:

It is the first time since forever a new feature is not working for me.

have a 4K screen an I cannot setup retrocharch to 4K windowed because of not enough resources to run games like that. I used real full screen together with changing the resolution to run good

The new LaunchBox startup screens actually don't work in windowed mode; they work with fullscreen modes, including exclusive fullscreen.