LaunchBox Community Forums

Controllers (and what you dream of)

Mr. RetroLust

What I want for Christmas lol ;)  I have this controller in mind that doesn't seem to exist yet, something allround for every type of game (Mame especially). Here's a list of what I'm looking for:

- Wireless Bluetooth

- Six button layout (Like Hori Fighting Commander and Saturn controller)

- Spinner and/or Trackball

- D-pad plus Dual Analog sticks

- Form as gamepad to be held within hands

- Rumble and lots of it, it should shake my hands like I was holding a race wheel

- Can be transformed to a light gun or something that feels as a gun with a trigger (yes I know but I can dream of it lol)

So it would be a mix of below images I found of products that come close.

41GjT2aHOUL._SX385_.jpg.0a17485ff9d9fd076c34e33d695b4f35.jpgfujitsu-air-command-plus-in-hand.thumb.jpg.bd543c8c3dbf629dc005d2d4310e04bb.jpg519SO1gM-ZL._SX522_.thumb.jpg.320c48b58efbff5be8b1b5d70a82dcea.jpg

With the one in the first picture but wireless I would be happy,which Brand Is that one? Even the dpad looks better than the one in the xbox controller. Xbox controllers are good, but the dpad tends to fail (you press up and it sends left ir right also) and with the design they have i don't know how to fix it, with psx ones I used to disasemble them and cut the dpad in four pieces to make the buttons independents.

2 hours ago, Dane said:

I thought I would mention about the different models. That picture is the newest model, the 5. I went with the 4 as it appealed to me more. This is a good read which might help you to decide.

I had this pictured one in the mail today, finally I have the time to test it out, will report back later today, it feels and looks great! I read about some problems hooking it up in Retroarch at first? Needed to set it to ps4 in order to work not pc?

1 hour ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

I had this pictured one in the mail today, finally I have the time to test it out, will report back later today, it feels and looks great! I read about some problems hooking it up in Retroarch at first? Needed to set it to ps4 in order to work not pc?

That’s cool, I look forward to hearing how it goes. Yeah you’d think you’d have it set to PC but I recall having to set mine to PS4. I can’t remember if it was necessary or not but I downloaded DS4Windows.

Edited by Dane
  • Thanks 1

I love the feel of the gamepad (symmetrical Fighter Commander 5 version to be clear) the  controller  is added as the 3th controller in windows (cable is long enough so I dont need an extension usb cable), i'll leave it plugged in so nothing will crap on the setup.

The dual button mapping in Mame of the first controller plus the now third controller to the same user succeeded indeed, it was a bit complicated to figure out but that was mostly because of the different symbols on the buttons seeing as the F310 has the A,B,X,Y layout and the FC5 uses playstation symbols, also I complicated things further as I am used to a non-default mapping of mame, for instance I use the right stick button (R3) as cancel so it can't be pressed during gameplay as likely, for this controller I use the select button + R2 (the bottom third button).

All details aside it takes some getting used to as I've been using dual shock layouts for a long time looking back, one thing I noticed quickly is the return of the burning spot on the top of my thumb (is this what they call a d-pad thumb?) it was back within 10 minutes of play while not having it experienced for a long time! lol I was very heavy into snes and megadrive play back in the early 90s  but I developed that thumb about 26 years ago dude lmao.

I love the thing all in all but again it takes getting used to as with any controller, been a long time holding a megadrive-like controller. I also really like the different turbo functions, just tested out with Parodius and didn't expect being able to let it shoot without pressing the button at all as well, friggin luxurious stuff man! In launchbox I switched on "using all controllers" and it works perfectly to control this as well, now all thats left is retroarch but I don't expect many problems as it's being handled as an x-input 360 controller. Only thing I am a bit sad about is not being able to map the guide button as with the F310 as well, must be the xinput limitation and haven't tried figuring this one out yet. 

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

I love the feel of the gamepad (symmetrical Fighter Commander 5 version to be clear) the  controller  is added as the 3th controller in windows (cable is long enough so I dont need an extension usb cable), i'll leave it plugged in so nothing will crap on the setup.

How do you like the d-pad as it is one of the significant changes from the last model? I know you cannot compare them because you don't have both, but does it feel solid, responsive and all that jazz?

The dual button mapping in Mame of the first controller plus the now third controller to the same user succeeded indeed, it was a bit complicated to figure out but that was mostly because of the different symbols on the buttons seeing as the F310 has the A,B,X,Y layout and the FC5 uses playstation symbols, also I complicated things further as I am used to a non-default mapping of mame, for instance I use the right stick button (R3) as cancel so it can't be pressed during gameplay as likely, for this controller I use the select button + R2 (the bottom third button).

I love the thing all in all but again it takes getting used to as with any controller, been a long time holding a megadrive-like controller. I also really like the different turbo functions, just tested out with Parodius and didn't expect being able to let it shoot without pressing the button at all as well, friggin luxurious stuff man! In launchbox I switched on "using all controllers" and it works perfectly to control this as well, now all thats left is retroarch but I don't expect many problems as it's being handled as an x-input 360 controller. Only thing I am a bit sad about is not being able to map the guide button as with the F310 as well, must be the xinput limitation and haven't tried figuring this one out yet. 

You might not have a need for it but if you need a way to map buttons that react only a certain way in certain applications you can try Controller Companion. It was recommended to me by someone on here. Confusing as hell at first but it can be a life saver and is worth the couple of dollars it is to purchase it depending what your needs are. I mainly use it to utilize the home button to exit out of emulators among other things.

image.thumb.png.3fb0fa5b02b494298c0202930b07aebd.png

All details aside it takes some getting used to as I've been using dual shock layouts for a long time looking back, one thing I noticed quickly is the return of the burning spot on the top of my thumb (is this what they call a d-pad thumb?) it was back within 10 minutes of play while not having it experienced for a long time! lol I was very heavy into snes and megadrive play back in the early 90s  but I developed that thumb about 26 years ago dude lmao.

I am glad I never got too accustomed to the modern controllers. That all stemmed from my distaste of the SNES controller layout back in the day. I could get used to it but my brain has become wired to the Mega Drive 6-button layout and arcade panels.

On a side note, controller wise, the third-party Quickshot Starfighter 3+3 (QS-173) for the Mega Drive is one of my favorite controllers of all time. It is obviously lacking 'extra' buttons compared to the modern stuff but I could otherwise gladly use it on my setup with a USB cable.

46242821-item-big-SMD-CONTQST3-A-1.jpg

The d-pad is a little small and stiff so takes some getting used to but once you to it is solid as a tank. Speaking of 'a tank', 'The Tank' is also a simple but amazing controller. It is made by Australian company Home Entertainment Suppliers. They have been making them from the 16-bit era for the Mega Drive (which are rare as hens teeth now) to the XBOX 360 and PS3:

103-01-03283.gif

Edited by Dane
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the tips bro and the recommendation for the FC btw! (Thanks to the lord of monkus as well, if he reads this by any chance) The d-pad seems to be more responsive than the F310 in terms of input speed but could be brain deception (I like the chaos of the brain, chaos is a beautiful thing).

I saw an indepth review on youtube explaining the feeling well, some find the dpad a bit stiff at first but they say it will get loose over time, I dont feel it as such though it feels good as it is, it has a slight bowl feel in the middle and going upwards around the edges a bit, giving good grip for the shape of the thumb and you can easily make a good circle because of it while also being able to press the buttons in a very precise cross shape, no accidental diagonals (which does happen with the F310 from time to time) it is so much better than the F310 dpad in terms of shape. It does however have a light rough texture on it, I guess for better grip, it causes to get my thumb too warm at times after moving on it for quite some time, I like smooth finishes better because of the cooling effect. Really feel like a nerd now lol 

Sweet, well usually Lust don't pay but I might go through the hassle of finding someone with a creditcard closeby if there are no freeware alternatives to the controller companion, wasn't this possible if set to ps4 and map guide button through ds4 software? (I thought about this to try out in the future)

The quickshot and the tank seem to be some real treasures from the past century, they do have that "looks don't matter, tude" ain't they? For some reason my reaction speed is slower with arcade sticks, probably because of the length x time, I do want to buy an arcade/fight stick thing sometime though as I'm really curious how it plays compared to pads but the things are expensive though. I almost bought this one (its a nice thing to look at) but I dont think I should just yet before trying it out first, this is an amazing deal though, have to resist impulses https://www.coolblue.nl/en/second-chance-product/618464

• Thanks 1

It does however have a light rough texture on it, I guess for better grip, it causes to get my thumb too warm at times after moving on it for quite some time, I like smooth finishes better because of the cooling effect. Really feel like a nerd now lol 

Rough finishes do cause friction and friction does cause heat so it makes sense.

Sweet, well usually Lust don't pay but I might go through the hassle of finding someone with a creditcard closeby if there are no freeware alternatives to the controller companion, wasn't this possible if set to ps4 and map guide button through ds4 software? (I thought about this to try out in the future)

I have DS4 but to be honest I have never done anything with it except have it on my PC so it is recognizes the Hori FC4. I virtually never ever pay for anything but I made an exception with Controller Companion because I really wanted it. I did try and obtain it illegally first, haha. I am such a tight-wad.

Sweet, well usually Lust don't pay but I might go through the hassle of finding someone with a creditcard closeby

Just rob an old lady and steal her purse next time you are at the grocery store.

The quickshot and the tank seem to be some real treasures from the past century, they do have that "looks don't matter, tude" ain't they? For some reason my reaction speed is slower with arcade sticks, probably because of the length x time, I do want to buy an arcade/fight stick thing sometime though as I'm really curious how it plays compared to pads but the things are expensive though. I almost bought this one (its a nice thing to look at) but I dont think I should just yet before trying it out first, this is an amazing deal though, have to resist impulses https://www.coolblue.nl/en/second-chance-product/618464

That looks pretty sweet. I had not seen the Real Arcade Pro N Hayabusa before. For true sexiness though the Real Arcade Pro. 4 Kai gets my vote. I own an X-Arcade Tankstick and like it, I have attached spinners and the 7" Mini-Racer™ Steering Wheels to it. Though if I were to get another arcade stick/panel I would make my own next time. I have always been a joystick dude but after getting the PS4 and FC4 controller I don't even use the X-Arcade anymore, at all. I was thinking about getting the stand alone trackball for the trackball games as there are a handful that are much loved like ShuffleshotShuuz and World Class Bowling. Though once again, I will probably make my own and then sell the Tankstick, probably, maybe.

Edited by Dane
  • Like 1

PM me your email I'll buy you a copy if you want, it's only $3 =P. The program is awesome it saved me a lot of trouble.

Edited by Chadmando
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Dane said:

Just rob an old lady and steal her purse next time you are at the grocery store.

That looks pretty sweet. I had not seen the Real Arcade Pro N Hayabusa before. For true sexiness though the Real Arcade Pro. 4 Kai gets my vote. I own an X-Arcade Tankstick and like it, I have attached spinners and the 7" Mini-Racer™ Steering Wheels to it. Though if I were to get another arcade stick/panel I would make my own next time. I have always been a joystick dude but after getting the PS4 and FC4 controller I don't even use the X-Arcade anymore, at all. I was thinking about getting the stand alone trackball for the trackball games as there are a handful that are much loved like ShuffleshotShuuz and World Class Bowling. Though once again, I will probably make my own and then sell the Tankstick, probably, maybe.

lmao @ the lady

When standing those arcade sticks seem to be the best way to go but when collapsing in a chair the pads are most compfy. Yeah I still need a trackball and spinner on a gamepad still as well, I haven't studied this much and probably ain't gonna (afraid of cheap chinese products that might break) but it looks like a hybrid light gun with trackball, not sure if it'll work like a gyro or air mouse, there are a lot of different sellers of the same looking product, anyone tried these yet?: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-New-Wireless-2-4G-Air-Mouse-Handheld-Trackball-Mouse-Thumb-Controlled-Handheld-Trackball-Mice-Mouse/32747227298.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.8.85f33a85RS4qoo&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_1_10065_10068_10890_319_10546_317_10548_10696_453_10084_454_10083_10618_10304_10307_10820_538_537_536_10843_10059_10884_10887_100031_321_322_10103-10890,searchweb201603_1,ppcSwitch_0&algo_expid=1887bd24-8179-444e-8191-c59409962162-4&algo_pvid=1887bd24-8179-444e-8191-c59409962162