Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums
Mr. RetroLust

Controllers (and what you dream of)

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, deuxcolors said:

Did I miss something, or did 8BitDo change the specs on their M30?!? 
I could have sworn the M30 was going to be 2.4GHz, but not bluetooth. Now it has bluetooth... 

I WANT ONE!!!

M30 + SN30 + N64 + PS3 + wired X360 (will change for XboxOne wireless sooner or later) all I'm missing is a bluetooth GameCube controller (with the correct triggers), maybe a bt Atari 2600 stick, and I'd have a perfect set...

The M30 sure is a looker, but I'd recommend the Hori Fighter Commander though.

giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

The M30 sure is a looker, but I'd recommend the Hori Fighter Commander though.

giphy.gif

But it's WIRED!!! 
I know it's silly, but I want wireless. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently got a Gamer-Pro adapter from Bliss-Box, so I can use just about any controller with my PC. It's a fantastic kit, highly recommended.

My collection so far:

  • PS1
  • PS2 DualShock
  • NES
  • NES Classic
  • NES off-brand joystick
  • SNES
  • SNES Classic
  • N64
  • Wii Nunchuk
  • Dreamcast
  • GameCube
  • Genesis 3-button
  • A few old Atari/Commodore joysticks
  • Plus a NES30 from 8BitDo, and a wired 360 controller
  • (I also have two Pro controllers for my Switch, but those don't count)

My wanted list:

  • Saturn (white Japanese model)
  • Genesis 6-button
  • Saturn CD
  • Master System
  • Famicom (I just want the shell, I'll fill it with NES controller guts)
  • TG-16
  • Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro

I also just got parts to mod my new Mayflash f500 arcade stick. Here's a picture of the work in progress. I'll be adding a new stick with oversized actuator, stiffer spring, and octagonal gate. Plus all new buttons, and custom artwork that will arrive later this week.

1226028552_2019-02-0613_41_17.thumb.jpg.69395302486b4a055afbea61a9afac05.jpg

  • Unusual Gem 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, garbanzo said:

I recently got a Gamer-Pro adapter from Bliss-Box, so I can use just about any controller with my PC. It's a fantastic kit, highly recommended.

My collection so far:

  • PS1
  • PS2 DualShock
  • NES
  • NES Classic
  • NES off-brand joystick
  • SNES
  • SNES Classic
  • N64
  • Wii Nunchuk
  • Dreamcast
  • GameCube
  • Genesis 3-button
  • A few old Atari/Commodore joysticks
  • Plus a NES30 from 8BitDo, and a wired 360 controller
  • (I also have two Pro controllers for my Switch, but those don't count)

My wanted list:

  • Saturn (white Japanese model)
  • Genesis 6-button
  • Saturn CD
  • Master System
  • Famicom (I just want the shell, I'll fill it with NES controller guts)
  • TG-16
  • Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro

I also just got parts to mod my new Mayflash f500 arcade stick. Here's a picture of the work in progress. I'll be adding a new stick with oversized actuator, stiffer spring, and octagonal gate. Plus all new buttons, and custom artwork that will arrive later this week.

1226028552_2019-02-0613_41_17.thumb.jpg.69395302486b4a055afbea61a9afac05.jpg

Thats an amazing collection brother!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, garbanzo said:

My collection so far:

 

You are a brave soul. I had over 100 controllers when I collected for the SEGA Mega Drive but now I am all digital I have ONE controller. I say you are brave because anything over one controller on a PC scares me because of the possibility of gremlins getting in there and messing everything up. I even get the odd problem with one controller deciding to change stuff on its own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, garbanzo said:

Gremlins? Sounds technical. I'm just here to play video games.

I’m just here to play games too but sometimes the Gremlins get inside my computer and csuse havoc with settings because they do not want to me play for whatever reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Dane said:

I’m just here to play games too but sometimes the Gremlins get inside my computer and csuse havoc with settings because they do not want to me play for whatever reason.

Always throw water on Gremlins!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

Always throw water on Gremlins!

That is quite possibly the worst advice I have ever received, I like it!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2019 at 12:47 PM, garbanzo said:

I recently got a Gamer-Pro adapter from Bliss-Box, so I can use just about any controller with my PC. It's a fantastic kit, highly recommended.

My collection so far:

  • PS1
  • PS2 DualShock
  • NES
  • NES Classic
  • NES off-brand joystick
  • SNES
  • SNES Classic
  • N64
  • Wii Nunchuk
  • Dreamcast
  • GameCube
  • Genesis 3-button
  • A few old Atari/Commodore joysticks
  • Plus a NES30 from 8BitDo, and a wired 360 controller
  • (I also have two Pro controllers for my Switch, but those don't count)

 

 

I never understood how the blissbox could let you hot-swap (i think that's what it's called?) controllers and it would be able to stay mapped properly to the emulator?  Could you explain a little how it works?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm no expert, but I think that hot-swapping works because as far as the host system knows, you haven't changed controllers. The BlissBox firmware handles the translation between controller inputs and the signal it outputs to your system, and it presents itself to your OS as a static controller. So even though you can unplug one controller and plug in another, the BlissBox is still the "controller" in the eyes of your computer.

There might be a little magic involved too. It's pretty amazing what it can do.

  • Game On 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, garbanzo said:

I'm no expert, but I think that hot-swapping works because as far as the host system knows, you haven't changed controllers. The BlissBox firmware handles the translation between controller inputs and the signal it outputs to your system, and it presents itself to your OS as a static controller. So even though you can unplug one controller and plug in another, the BlissBox is still the "controller" in the eyes of your computer.

There might be a little magic involved too. It's pretty amazing what it can do.

yeah it looked pretty damn cool.  Can you do two players with it on the same box?  or would you need another blissbox plugged in also?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a single player version and a 4 player version that can adapt 4 different controllers simultaneously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now for light gun controllers. I'm still quite a long way away from adding Wii to my collection but am wondering during Mame what the best and easiest solution would be for lightgun games. Seeing as I already have a lot of USB things connected I'm a bit scared to add such a dolphin bar in the future. I much rather use an air mouse aka gyro mouse with a trigger without needing a bar (wii) or camera (playstation move). Although if I want to play wii games I probably need a dolphin bar right? Or can you emulate it without? I'm really curious to what your experiences are concerning emulating lightguns, I've read some articles on the aimtrak and other guns but these seem to be expensive and not always work that well. I can't seem to find this Fujitsu Air Command Plus Air Mouse anymore (pictured below) which is something I'd like, but did find a few alternatives, not expensive at all, thinking of buying one of these.

fujitsu-air-command-plus-in-hand.jpg

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01MDU3NUK/?coliid=I16ZE1US2LJWFF&colid=M78MJUCL2VAK&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00LV9P518/?coliid=I11NFTCG9MK8D3&colid=M78MJUCL2VAK&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

It's a bit weird to me that there aren't any affordable and simple lightguns making use of the gyro/air mouse system, especially as you don't need anything like a bar or camera. I hope to be able to use my playstation move guns (pure for the look of these) but dolphin bar seems to be used a lot. Anyhoot, all your thoughts and experiences are very welcome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to have these, they were good quality and worked (when they wanted to) but out of all the controllers I had hooked up they were the biggest pain. I had standard joystick and button, trackball, spinners, keyboard, mouse and the lightguns. It was just all too much, so I decided I would just never play lightgun games after that. I always had difficulties setting up both guns for two players. Overall though if I had to get lightguns again I would go with the Aimtrack guns.

Edited by Dane
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2019 at 10:28 AM, Mr. RetroLust said:

Now for light gun controllers. I'm still quite a long way away from adding Wii to my collection but am wondering during Mame what the best and easiest solution would be for lightgun games. Seeing as I already have a lot of USB things connected I'm a bit scared to add such a dolphin bar in the future. I much rather use an air mouse aka gyro mouse with a trigger without needing a bar (wii) or camera (playstation move). Although if I want to play wii games I probably need a dolphin bar right? Or can you emulate it without? I'm really curious to what your experiences are concerning emulating lightguns, I've read some articles on the aimtrak and other guns but these seem to be expensive and not always work that well. I can't seem to find this Fujitsu Air Command Plus Air Mouse anymore (pictured below) which is something I'd like, but did find a few alternatives, not expensive at all, thinking of buying one of these.

fujitsu-air-command-plus-in-hand.jpg

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01MDU3NUK/?coliid=I16ZE1US2LJWFF&colid=M78MJUCL2VAK&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00LV9P518/?coliid=I11NFTCG9MK8D3&colid=M78MJUCL2VAK&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

It's a bit weird to me that there aren't any affordable and simple lightguns making use of the gyro/air mouse system, especially as you don't need anything like a bar or camera. I hope to be able to use my playstation move guns (pure for the look of these) but dolphin bar seems to be used a lot. Anyhoot, all your thoughts and experiences are very welcome!

i have remotes and they are ok work brill. the wii remotes.

Edited by andyco47
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, andyco47 said:

i have remotes and they are ok work brill. the wii remotes.

Thats probably the best and most common way. Do you use it with a dolphin bar? Easy to install and such?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have two PS4 controllers and think they’re absolutely brilliant, except for one horrible flaw! The micro USB connection on the controller seems to be very flimsy and susceptible to disconnecting or breaking. Has anyone else experienced this? Just curious how common it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Dane said:

I have two PS4 controllers and think they’re absolutely brilliant, except for one horrible flaw! The micro USB connection on the controller seems to be very flimsy and susceptible to disconnecting or breaking. Has anyone else experienced this? Just curious how common it is.

Yeah they dont feel as strong as the ps3 controller usb connectors

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...