LaunchBox Community Forums

9.3-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

On 12/29/2018 at 10:23 PM, RULLUR said:

Looks like that delay in details is back. My Operation Wolf 3 Background stayed for a while when I switched over to Dragon's Lair 2 at Random 

Most likely this just happened because LaunchBox still had a process running in the background and needed to catch up. There is a period of time after a game is selected before the details load up. If this processing takes any significant time, for any reason, then you will see a delay.

On 12/30/2018 at 2:38 PM, wallmachine said:

I just tried updating 62 systems with just Clear Logo's selecting both EmuMovies and the Games DB it seemed to do something but when I checked the folders it only downloaded a few but said it updated all files successfully and when I checked each system in EmuMovies or GamesDB they both have the Clear Logos available.

Are you referring to platform clear logos? LaunchBox still uses an internal list of platform clear logos. I don't think we're downloading them from anywhere at this point.

On 1/1/2019 at 4:50 AM, wallmachine said:

Collection was modified; enumeration operation may not execute.

App:     Big Box
Version: 9.3-beta-1
Type:    System.InvalidOperationException
Site:    Void ThrowInvalidOperationException(System.ExceptionResource)
Source:  mscorlib

at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowInvalidOperationException(ExceptionResource resource)
   at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.Enumerator.MoveNextRare()
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.<CastIterator>d__97`1.MoveNext()
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.FirstOrDefault[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 predicate)
   at (GamesViewModelBase , Platform , String , Playlist )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.BigBox.ViewModels.GamesViewModelBase.Init(Platform plat, String searchQuery, Playlist filters)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.BigBox.ViewModels.MainViewModel.<>c__DisplayClass245_0.<ShowGames>b__1(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
   at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()

Recent Log:

11:46:38 PM Music.Kill Start
   11:46:38 PM Music.Kill Finished
   11:46:39 PM Music.Kill Start
   11:46:39 PM Music.Kill Finished
   11:46:41 PM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
   11:46:41 PM Music.Kill Start
   11:46:41 PM Music.Kill Finished
   11:46:42 PM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
   11:46:42 PM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
   11:46:46 PM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
   11:46:46 PM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
   11:46:54 PM Music.Pause Start
   11:47:49 PM Music.Resume Start
   11:47:50 PM Music.Pause Start
   11:47:56 PM Music.Resume Start
   11:47:56 PM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
   11:47:56 PM Music.Kill Start
   11:47:56 PM Music.Kill Finished
   11:47:56 PM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
   11:47:56 PM Music.Kill Start
   11:47:56 PM Music.Kill Finished
   11:47:57 PM Music.Kill Start
   11:47:57 PM Music.Kill Finished
   11:48:04 PM Music.Kill Start
   11:48:04 PM Music.Kill Finished
   11:48:05 PM Music.Kill Start
   11:48:05 PM Music.Kill Finished
   11:48:07 PM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
   11:48:07 PM Music.Kill Start
   11:48:07 PM Music.Kill Finished
   11:48:08 PM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
   11:48:08 PM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
   11:48:20 PM Music.Pause Start
   11:48:44 PM Music.Resume Start
   11:48:44 PM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
   11:48:44 PM Music.Kill Start
   11:48:44 PM Music.Kill Finished
   11:48:44 PM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
   11:48:44 PM Music.Kill Start
   11:48:44 PM Music.Kill Finished
   11:48:46 PM Music.Kill Start
   11:48:46 PM Music.Kill Finished
   11:48:53 PM Music.Kill Start
   11:48:53 PM Music.Kill Finished
   11:48:54 PM Music.Kill Start
   11:48:54 PM Music.Kill Finished
   11:48:56 PM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
   11:48:56 PM Music.Kill Start
   11:48:56 PM Music.Kill Finished
   11:48:57 PM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
   11:48:57 PM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
   11:49:10 PM Music.Pause Start
   11:49:27 PM Music.Resume Start
   11:49:27 PM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
   11:49:27 PM Music.Kill Start
   11:49:27 PM Music.Kill Finished
   11:49:28 PM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
   11:49:28 PM Music.Kill Start
   11:49:28 PM Music.Kill Finished
   11:49:29 PM Music.Kill Start
   11:49:29 PM Music.Kill Finished
   11:49:36 PM Music.Kill Start
   11:49:36 PM Music.Kill Finished
   11:49:37 PM Music.Kill Start
   11:49:37 PM Music.Kill Finished
   11:49:38 PM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
   11:49:38 PM Music.Kill Start
   11:49:38 PM Music.Kill Finished
   11:49:38 PM Music.Kill Start
   11:49:38 PM Music.Kill Finished
   11:49:45 PM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
   11:49:45 PM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
   11:49:45 PM Music.Kill Start
   11:49:45 PM Music.Kill Finished
   11:49:45 PM Music.Kill Start
   11:49:45 PM Music.Kill Finished
   11:49:46 PM Exception

I have this fixed for the next beta.

1 minute ago, Jason Carr said:

Most likely this just happened because LaunchBox still had a process running in the background and needed to catch up. There is a period of time after a game is selected before the details load up. If this processing takes any significant time, for any reason, then you will see a delay.

Are you referring to platform clear logos? LaunchBox still uses an internal list of platform clear logos. I don't think we're downloading them from anywhere at this point.

I have this fixed for the next beta.

Game clear logos

On 1/1/2019 at 8:32 PM, Coleman said:

I'm not running the beta, but I noticed that I cant adjust the sound dial in launchbox.  Is this a known issue?

I don't believe I've ever heard about any issues with the adjusting the sound volume in LaunchBox. Are you just having trouble moving the dial, or is the dial moving while the sound volume is not changing? Try using the mouse wheel while hovered over the dial.

2 minutes ago, wallmachine said:

Game clear logos

Unfortunately I'll need specific examples of media not downloading. I've been through this quite a few times over with various situations and I've never actually found something that wasn't working, at least not without an explanation. Errors can certainly happen with the downloads due to the nature of the Internet, but they should be reported in the results.

2 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

I don't believe I've ever heard about any issues with the adjusting the sound volume in LaunchBox. Are you just having trouble moving the dial, or is the dial moving while the sound volume is not changing? Try using the mouse wheel while hovered over the dial.

Ok - thanks Jason!

I was just clicking and dragging which was not working at all.

Hovering + wheel works and seems to have woken up the left click and drag functionality as well.

Just updated Windows 10 Pro to the latest version (version 1809). Launchbox seems to be broken :(

What happens on starting up Launchbox is:

- the Launchbox loading bar appears

- Launchbox opens, but a) the usual beta version splash screen doesn't apear, and b) the Launchbox taskbar "deskband" is coloured orange (usually indicating that something needs attention)

I can then select games in Launchbox and things seem to be OK - as long as the main Launcbox windows remains the "active" Window.

If I do something that stops the main Launchbox window from being the active window - e.g. by editing a game, or minimising Launchbox and then maximising again, I get the following:

- Launchbox is mostly unresponsive; the only thing that I can do it change the "hover" selection box by moving the mouse over the games. I cannot select a game, edit it, or select anything in Launchbox at all. I cannot even close or minimise the window using the app - I have to right-click on the taskbar box and then select "close window".

I have tried a restart, but problem pesists. @Jason Carr

Any help appreciated!

Edited by Dan

Quick update per VLC 3.x. I've been working with original developer of the Meta.Vlc library, and he's helped us get VLC upgraded to 3.x. There are a number of issues though, including some serious audio stuttering during video transitions, which is basically a deal breaker if we can't get it fixed, but we ought to be able to figure it out in one way or another. The upgrade could also cause difficult to track down stability issues, so I'm shelving it for now, at least until the next release. I hope to revisit it soon. 

As for right now, I'm headed back to my list of fixes. I hope to put out 9.3 relatively soon, probably early next week.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dan said:

Just updated Windows 10 Pro to the latest version (version 1809). Launchbox seems to be broken :(

What happens on starting up Launchbox is:

- the Launchbox loading bar appears

- Launchbox opens, but a) the usual beta version splash screen doesn't apear, and b) the Launchbox taskbar "deskband" is coloured orange (usually indicating that something needs attention)

I can then select games in Launchbox and things seem to be OK - as long as the main Launcbox windows remains the "active" Window.

If I do something that stops the main Launchbox window from being the active window - e.g. by editing a game, or minimising Launchbox and then maximising again, I get the following:

- Launchbox is mostly unresponsive; the only thing that I can do it change the "hover" selection box by moving the mouse over the games. I cannot select a game, edit it, or select anything in Launchbox at all. I cannot even close or minimise the window using the app - I have to right-click on the taskbar box and then select "close window".

I have tried a restart, but problem pesists. @Jason Carr

Any help appreciated!

Ugh, I'm sorry to hear. It does sound like some kind of odd driver bug or glitch with Windows 10 1809. I know there are lots of people (including myself) running 1809 without any issues, so at this point I'm confident that it's some kind of a one-off issue.

The first thing I would do is try updating all drivers. Make sure Windows Update is 100% up to date, and make sure you have the latest video drivers available. It's possible that somehow you're running a driver somewhere that isn't fully compatible with 1809.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Jason. Yes Windows should be 100% up to date, as the problem manifested after I updated to the latest build. It's probably worth mentioning (as DOS76 pointed out) that I am running Windows on a Bootcamp partition on a Mac - so that could be a factor too!

Edit: I updated the Bootcamp drivers via the BootCampDrivers website, and that thankfully seemed to fix the issue :)

Edited by Dan
  • Like 1

Beta 2 is out now with the following:

- Fixed: Scan for Added/Removed ROMs error with platforms list's All node selected

- Fixed: LaunchBox sidebar counts were updating incorrectly with an active search

- Fixed: LaunchBox sidebar counts were sometimes not showing up immediately for All, None, and Exists nodes

- Fixed: Big Box was using the LaunchBox startup theme setting instead of the Big Box startup theme setting

I've also been running between all kinds of other reported issues trying to fix everything I can, but everything else that I've attempted to tackle so far has either been a one-off issue, or some kind of driver bug, or something of that nature. At this point, I'm planning on letting this beta simmer over the weekend, and assuming all goes well, we'll put out the 9.3 bugfix release early next week. :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

i guess this newer feature of auto generated playlists just bit me with unintended results. by doing Auto Generate Child Playlists in the Platform Category view of LB (which is awesome) , I did not realize it would add all those tons of Playlists to my custom created Playlists in the normal Playlist view. now my custom Playlist view is a mess.
went through all my custom Playlist and renamed them with _ as the first character of the name so my custom playlists would sort above all those auto created ones.

is there a better way to organize the Playlist view when also using auto generated playlists?

This has been happening for awhile so I don't know when it started, but sometimes when I add multiple games, media of some random games of the batch are not downloaded at all. It was tested under a condition where I would ping the download server in the background and dropped no connection issues.

I'd have to select all the games that were added, and then download them again for it to work.

Not sure where to post this, not really a bug, but related to some of the newer updates.

Maybe this is a silly question, why are Auto-populated playlists showing up at all in the right click menu- add to playlist. The list is now incredibly long , yet no selections can't be added to a playlist that is Auto generated, correct?

3 hours ago, Mr.Laor said:

Not sure where to post this, not really a bug, but related to some of the newer updates.

Maybe this is a silly question, why are Auto-populated playlists showing up at all in the right click menu- add to playlist. The list is now incredibly long , yet no selections can't be added to a playlist that is Auto generated, correct?

Hmm, while my Playlist view is clogged with auto gen playlists now, at least for me, my right click add to Playlist is only showing my custom playlists and not the auto gen playlists. sounds like these auto gen playlists are seeping into unexpected places.

21 hours ago, ckp said:

i guess this newer feature of auto generated playlists just bit me with unintended results. by doing Auto Generate Child Playlists in the Platform Category view of LB (which is awesome) , I did not realize it would add all those tons of Playlists to my custom created Playlists in the normal Playlist view. now my custom Playlist view is a mess.
went through all my custom Playlist and renamed them with _ as the first character of the name so my custom playlists would sort above all those auto created ones.

is there a better way to organize the Playlist view when also using auto generated playlists?

In the future I'm planning on adding an option to hide auto-generated playlists from the main list of playlists, so when I get that added in, that should fix it. I'll probably add it into an early 9.4 beta.

14 hours ago, Mr.Laor said:

They were already removed from the right-click menu in a 9.3 beta.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ZeSystem said:

This has been happening for awhile so I don't know when it started, but sometimes when I add multiple games, media of some random games of the batch are not downloaded at all. It was tested under a condition where I would ping the download server in the background and dropped no connection issues.

I'd have to select all the games that were added, and then download them again for it to work.

This isn't caused by any kind of bug in LaunchBox. If anything, it could be a server issue, but I doubt that as well. It's largely just the nature of the Internet; when you're downloading thousands and thousands of individual files, errors are bound to happen occasionally, and having a ping run in the background really doesn't prove or solve anything. I assume when this happens that errors are reported in the error list?

If you can consistently confirm that certain games aren't downloading their media, let me know and I can look into it if I can replicate it. But random connection issues aren't really trackable or fixable.

A relatively small, but slightly annoying bug/issue in Launchbox. Usually, when I select a platform in the tree that contains playlists, it shows that platform and does not expand the tree. This is as expected and IMHO as it should be. If I double-click that platform or select the arrow next to it, the tree expands, again as expected.

The problem is, sometimes when I single-click one of these platforms (on the platform name and not the arrow), it expands to show the tree. This problem seems to be intermittent and I'm not sure if there are any antecedents or triggers. @Jason Carr

Also, I'm still having the problem where some screenshots are not showing in the games details pane (despite being correctly tagged as screenshots when you go to edit game details). If I click the magnifying glass icon on the game to view the media, they are there.

Edited by Dan

7 hours ago, Dan said:

A relatively small, but slightly annoying bug/issue in Launchbox. Usually, when I select a platform in the tree that contains playlists, it shows that platform and does not expand the tree. This is as expected and IMHO as it should be. If I double-click that platform or select the arrow next to it, the tree expands, again as expected.

The problem is, sometimes when I single-click one of these platforms (on the platform name and not the arrow), it expands to show the tree. This problem seems to be intermittent and I'm not sure if there are any antecedents or triggers. @Jason Carr

Also, I'm still having the problem where some screenshots are not showing in the games details pane (despite being correctly tagged as screenshots when you go to edit game details). If I click the magnifying glass icon on the game to view the media, they are there.

I can't seem to reproduce either of those issues, so I'm pretty much lost on them both. This is the first time I'm hearing of the expand on single click issue; my best guess on that one is that maybe it's caused by the background processing falling behind, but I'm not really able to follow that in the code either. I have heard about missing screenshots in the sidebar before, but haven't been able to reproduce it. It may just be the file type though; what are the file types (file extensions) of the missing images?

@Jason Carr

Something weird is happening for me, downloading latest metadata is ..working for past hour and its barely 15%-ish

I do have premium. Latest beta, just updated

--edit

man.. 10 minutes later..it has moved maybe 5%.. its downloading at barely 40kbps speed..dropping to 0 .then 16..madness..

hyKOw6p.png

Edited by Undertherainbow