LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME not working with LaunchBox

Dave B.

Hey Guy’s,

When I recently installed a Windows 7 critical update, LaunchBox quit working correctly. When I run a MAME mod within the LaunchBox app, it begins with NOW LOADING ( I don’t recall ever seeing the large NOW LOADING or GAME OVER before updating), the game begins, but only for a few seconds then goes to a black screen with the mouse arrow. I press the game escape button and get a large GAME OVER then back to LaunchBox. MAME runs fine out of LB but not in conjunction. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Dave

Update, today I reinstalled LB using version 8.6, everything worked fine until I went to load BigBox. The latest version (9.2) of LB installed automatically and BB launched, back to the same problem. What do you think? Anybody have an idea what my next step should be?

well you could always open you settings.xml in the data folder with a text editor look for the line that says <CheckForUpdates>true</CheckForUpdates> and change the value to false and then you can reinstall version 8.6 again and it won't update it again next time you start the application.

9.2 has feature 8.6 does not. One of which is the new Start Up and Shutdown screens you mentioned seeing. That being said it has been tested pretty well and is known to work with Mame. 

If you still have 9.2 installed try going into Launchbox and manage emulators. Edit your mame and go into the Startup Screen tab and uncheck the box to use Startup screens then test to see if your mame will work?

21 minutes ago, Dave B. said:

Mame. Exe  v. 0.166

That version is a bit old but still works. Just downloaded it and tested. Working fine here on both 9.2 stable and in the beta. I am on Win 10. Works with Startup screens and without. When it goes to black screen can you hear the game running in the background?

Getting no help with this problem, not feeling any love. Anyway for those who are following me and my issue, I noticed right clicking the mouse takes me from the black screen to the “ GAME OVER “ screen. After I go back to LB I see that MAME is running, as I see it’s icon at the bottom of the screen. I can click on it and MAME comes up with the ROM that I picked to play and it’s running fine. Hmm interesting........ Input anyone?

If you’re referring to the startup screens, I tried turning them off, same issue. What exactly is in unchecking the startup screens supposed to do? If it’s remove the full screen LOADING or the GAME OVER, that is not the case. Also I am now running the latest MAME update.

1 minute ago, Dave B. said:

If you’re referring to the startup screens, I tried turning them off, same issue. What exactly is in unchecking the startup screens supposed to do? If it’s remove the full screen LOADING or the GAME OVER, that is not the case. Also I am now running the latest MAME update.

Yes that is exactly what it does we now have startup/shutdown screens when starting exiting games, the Loading/Game Over screens you are seeing. So it could be a configuration issue with your specific MAME setup that is causing focus issues, turning those screens off in both Launchbox and Bigbox should fix your issue. However i will add that it is likely a settings issue on your system as many people use these screens with MAME just fine, myself included.

2 hours ago, Dave B. said:

What exactly is in unchecking the startup screens supposed to do? If it’s remove the full screen LOADING or the GAME OVER, that is not the case.

Can you clarify this? So if you uncheck the boxes in this image when you go into manage emulators and edit your Mame set-up you still see the startup/game over screen?

Capture.JPG