LaunchBox Community Forums

HUUUUUUGE bug in Launchbox

peterrrjr

@Dane If I had to guess, I'd say that there are two different sets of 3D boxes there that are slightly different, or different sizes. Do the file sizes and image sizes match between the two sets? Unfortunately in that case, LaunchBox doesn't really have a good way of identifying that the images are similar, which is basically what I was referring to earlier.

I talk a lot, so I want to keep it short for you guys: Launchbox is a magic unicorn, I like magic unicorns, well hell if you where a kid in the 80's or 90's and all of a sudden you see a magic unicorn in front of you and beside it a launchbox installation, which one would hold most magic for you? Just sayin' *disappears back into the colorful shadows of a magical rainbow*

• Haha 1
  • The Cake is a Lie 1
  • Unusual Gem 1

4 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

I've discussed this further with the moderators, and I think the general consensus between us is that we should just not download images for different regions. The only issue with that (and the reason why it wasn't initially implemented that way) is that we often don't know the proper region for the game on import (usually all we have to go on is the file name, which may or may not have that information). In the case where we don't know the region from the file name, then the general LaunchBox region priority settings are used. So the main potential issue here is that if you change the region for a game later on, you won't have the proper media for that region unless you re-download. But I think that's a good tradeoff. Thoughts welcome.

The proper region issue would definitely be a gap in downloading in some cases if mis-categorized or if all media not setup for each region (i.e., clear logo that is US but person is downloading Euro so doesn't get anything). 

Although maybe not worth the programming time, ideally it would be a checkbox of "download data for all regions (yes/no)" or even more fancy "download media from other regions if media missing? (yes/no)".  Course that would also be nice for EMU as well but now adding to the coding bill!  :)

1 hour ago, DOS76 said:

why bother I already told you your computer is going to self destruct.

Well, as a moderator you are partially responsible for this by default so for compensation for my loss during this stressful time you will be required to hand feed me strawberries and cream whilst I watch my computer go up in flames. It will be slightly homo-erotic and awkward but this is what you signed up for, soldier.

• Haha 3

I have no emumovies account. All the duplicates are from the same file and it happened on 2 different instances of launchbox. I tested it with brand new installs in 2 different machines. Also tested it over a windows 10 machine over a vm on my pc, clean install without any programs except launchbox and all of them downloaded the files in multiple copies. The more updates, the more copies.

I added 1 system (eg snes), ran the update media option, then added a second system and updated the media again and so on. I already had 10 systems and proceeded to add more than 50 systems at once, and decided to let the pc downloading everything and working with the crashplan install to backup my files, with a timer to shut it down after 10 days. All the files sync to  onedrive.

1 thing:

if the update fails, it starts all over downloading everything. The files do not match the creators timestamp on files, always reflecting the time they were downloaded.

@Jason Carr Sorry if you feel my post inadequate, but I have a pretty slow internet connection at home. I let my system running on my arcade as I was travelling on vacation. After some days I got in touch with my mom, who is not computer litarate, and she is complaining about not being able to store her pictures on her laptop. The laptop shares the onedrive with my launchbox install (when she wants a file,  I can "magically" put a copy on the desktop, and all the extra space of the cloud is not wasted). I had to stop my vacation to try figuring out the issue thru phone until I got in Miami. As soon as my laptop (256 gb ssd) connected to the internet, it started to download frenetically at 100mbs all the "brand new" images of launchbox untill my ssd got filled and the system dirty slow. This is quite frustrating to deal with, specially when you are thousands of km away from home on an expensive trip...

If you have facebook and decides to dig, in the biggest batocera/recallbox and arcade pages on facebook from brazil, I have advocated for launchbox/bigbox and I am even recording some video tutorials for some features, in brazillian portuguese (not ETA prime quality, but some tricks and tests about arcade frontend organization for friends) and so on. I loved the product the day I was able to test a full version, that is available on internet, and then I bought my copy in December because I want it to continue growing. Saving for musicbox if I ever have the oportunity to try the full version. 

So, I may have been rude, but I was really frustrated. I just told my mom to delete everything and I will try to recover the stuff later on as my arcade was shutdown before my mom deleted the launchbox folder. My original files might still being there.

Peter.

6 hours ago, proghodet said:

Consider installing teamviewer or other remote desktop software on your machines, so you can log in even when you're away

Yeah, just did. But I had to guide my mom on how to do it step by step and she does not speak English. Never had to use it on her pc, as she lives near me. Now I have it.

Question: how the media claenup works?

My system holds the gamefiles in a NAS server, mapped on the machine.

If I tell launchbox to cleanup, it will need to have access to the games? I am afraid of cleaning up the media and, as I am not connected to my roms, I am afraid of loosing them all.

I did have this happen once before, the easiest solution was to just delete the files and do another download. Doesn't take that long to download, mame probably take the most time. not a big issue really.

Launchbox still rocks, and is the best Front End available in my opinion.

Just tested the media cleanup tool. It worked flawlessly. It cleaned up the media. 34000 + images to trash. Some files it was not supposed to delete were gone too but, at least I am starting fresh. I am at Miami so I will make use of  the fast internet that is available here before going back to Brazil...