LaunchBox Community Forums

9.4-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

3 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Yup, that is now by design. You can simply type in the box instead and separate items with a semicolon.

I sometimes scroll to check how I spelled something such as "DragonBall" instead of "Dragon Ball" or "Q*Bert" instead of "Q-Bert". Sometimes I also do it to make sure I have a Series set a certain way or not too so I can bunch them together correctly

Edited by RULLUR

10 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

The Startup Load Delay setting in Edit Emulator goes up to 30 seconds. You shouldn't be adjusting the Minimum Startup Screen Display Time in the general options, but rather the Startup Load Delay setting when editing the Retroarch emulator.

Oh ok. Yeah, that fixed it.

17 hours ago, RULLUR said:

I sometimes scroll to check how I spelled something such as "DragonBall" instead of "Dragon Ball" or "Q*Bert" instead of "Q-Bert". Sometimes I also do it to make sure I have a Series set a certain way or not too so I can bunch them together correctly

Previously, that drop down was taking forever to load and causing the application to appear to be locked up while it loads. I searched high and low for a better control for it, and they all seemed to have performance issues, or were missing features. So this is my temporary solution for now, even though it's not ideal.

Hi Jason, I'm having major issues with the Games Database over the past 2 days, my 50 meg connection is fine elsewhere and Emumovies scraping is going lightning fast. However, when LB tries to refresh the metadata.zip it's taking almost an hour and most of the time it times out half way through. Downloading media from the Games Database is also running exceptionally slow. It was fine a few days ago but something changed 2 days ago. Are there known issues? Definitely not my connection.

2 minutes ago, Zageroth said:

Hi Jason, I'm having major issues with the Games Database over the past 2 days, my 50 meg connection is fine elsewhere and Emumovies scraping is going lightning fast. However, when LB tries to refresh the metadata.zip it's taking almost an hour and most of the time it times out half way through. Downloading media from the Games Database is also running exceptionally slow. It was fine a few days ago but something changed 2 days ago. Are there known issues? Definitely not my connection.

I'm testing it as we speak and I'm seeing good performance from my end. Unfortunately this means it's likely just something not fast between the server and wherever you are on the Internet. The topic has come up a lot, and the only real solution would be to have many servers/mirrors across the world, which unfortunately is out of our ability for the moment.

2 minutes ago, Zageroth said:

Thanks Jason for the quick response, this is worrying me as I'm not sure how I will be able to scrape my large library properly as a result.... Any known workarounds that I could try perhaps? Like VPN?

Where are you located? Is it a new issue? Yes, VPNs can help, but it depends on a lot of factors.

1 minute ago, Zageroth said:

I am located in South Africa. It is definitely a new issue, was fine 2 days ago

Okay; I'm guessing that the issue will still be temporary, and there's probably something out there in the Interwebs that's just sucking or partially down right now. I can't say for sure, but that would be my guess.

5 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Previously, that drop down was taking forever to load and causing the application to appear to be locked up while it loads. I searched high and low for a better control for it, and they all seemed to have performance issues, or were missing features. So this is my temporary solution for now, even though it's not ideal.

Yeah..I too noticed how much the drop downs were making things freeze up as well. I'm just glad this is just a temporary fix though. Is their a way to do something of an autocomplete in choices that can be done with it instead like when you Google something? Maybe even something like whatever letter or letters you start with will only be seen if you choose to do a drop down?

58 minutes ago, RULLUR said:

Yeah..I too noticed how much the drop downs were making things freeze up as well. I'm just glad this is just a temporary fix though. Is their a way to do something of an autocomplete in choices that can be done with it instead like when you Google something? Maybe even something like whatever letter or letters you start with will only be seen if you choose to do a drop down?

I wish. There are no good solutions; the Google thing doesn't work with multiple items. Eventually I'll probably convert the whole dialog to WPF and then we can do something better. It'll be a while though.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

I wish. There are no good solutions; the Google thing doesn't work with multiple items. Eventually I'll probably convert the whole dialog to WPF and then we can do something better. It'll be a while though.

I'm sure in time you'll figure something to help it, no matter how long it takes. I wonder if the process you're talking about will even help with freezing when you Edit too. All I know is I have faith in you and it'll only get better and better as I can't wait to continue testing things out though.

Hi, short-time BB user, first-time poster ...

My issue: cannot auto-scroll through games and platforms and platform categories with the wheel. Moving the joystick up or down will move the wheel one title/name in that direction and the process must be repeated (again and again and again). Auto-scroll was working quite well only a week ago or so. I elected to download the beta versions and somewhere around the beta 8 to 10 iteration the auto-scroll quit working. It did work in the betas before that, so I figured it was just one of those temporary beta "glitches" that is resolved by the time of the public release. That hasn't happened. I've done as much as I know how to do via forum suggestions and blind stabs at the problem with no luck at resolving the issue. I'm optimistic about my chances through the experts on the forum.

Here are the particulars: I have a dedicated arcade cabinet through RecRoomMasters with the upgraded emulation edition controller (the one that also features a spinner and dedicated 4-way joystick, in addition to the two multidirection joysticks, trackball, and buttons). The controller works great with MAME and in BB (other than the auto-scroll issue). I have a 2012 PC (3470, 8g ram, 240 ssd) running Windows 10 Home Edition. I'm running 9.4 BB official release and am using a slightly customized version of the Future State Neon Deluxe theme; namely, I uploaded photos for my platform categories of "Decades" and "Years," which are nested with the sub-categories of "1970s," "1983," "1997," etc.

I have monkied with Visual Studio in prior attempts to customize my theme; my current theme is a fresh version of FSND with no changes in its structure. But, could the legacy of those changes in other attempts be haunting me now? In fact, what I have literally just discovered in typing this and deleting a "ghost in the machine" reference, is that my keyboard will not perform the auto function, either; e.g., when I hit the "backspace" key, the cursor goes back one space; however, hold backspace down and it only goes back one space and then stops until I hit the key again. When I use the keyboard arrows in BB mode with the vertical wheels and the horizontal alphabetical search or any of the image and text scroll methods, it's the same thing; one space with each press of the arrow; one space when I hold down the arrow.  

So maybe it's a Windows 10 issue? Dunno. Any and all help and patience with someone who is just tech savvy enough to be a hazard to himself and his devices will be greatly appreciated. I should add that I absolutely love BB. My dream is to recreate the arcade experience of my youth (I'm just old enough to have had an off-brand PONG system as a kid), and I've nearly realized it, with Big Box a huge part of the retro equation.

Cheers/thanks/Force be with you/game on ...  

47 minutes ago, krofftsuperstar said:

Hi, short-time BB user, first-time poster ...

My issue: cannot auto-scroll through games and platforms and platform categories with the wheel. Moving the joystick up or down will move the wheel one title/name in that direction and the process must be repeated (again and again and again). Auto-scroll was working quite well only a week ago or so. I elected to download the beta versions and somewhere around the beta 8 to 10 iteration the auto-scroll quit working. It did work in the betas before that, so I figured it was just one of those temporary beta "glitches" that is resolved by the time of the public release. That hasn't happened. I've done as much as I know how to do via forum suggestions and blind stabs at the problem with no luck at resolving the issue. I'm optimistic about my chances through the experts on the forum.

Here are the particulars: I have a dedicated arcade cabinet through RecRoomMasters with the upgraded emulation edition controller (the one that also features a spinner and dedicated 4-way joystick, in addition to the two multidirection joysticks, trackball, and buttons). The controller works great with MAME and in BB (other than the auto-scroll issue). I have a 2012 PC (3470, 8g ram, 240 ssd) running Windows 10 Home Edition. I'm running 9.4 BB official release and am using a slightly customized version of the Future State Neon Deluxe theme; namely, I uploaded photos for my platform categories of "Decades" and "Years," which are nested with the sub-categories of "1970s," "1983," "1997," etc.

I have monkied with Visual Studio in prior attempts to customize my theme; my current theme is a fresh version of FSND with no changes in its structure. But, could the legacy of those changes in other attempts be haunting me now? In fact, what I have literally just discovered in typing this and deleting a "ghost in the machine" reference, is that my keyboard will not perform the auto function, either; e.g., when I hit the "backspace" key, the cursor goes back one space; however, hold backspace down and it only goes back one space and then stops until I hit the key again. When I use the keyboard arrows in BB mode with the vertical wheels and the horizontal alphabetical search or any of the image and text scroll methods, it's the same thing; one space with each press of the arrow; one space when I hold down the arrow.  

So maybe it's a Windows 10 issue? Dunno. Any and all help and patience with someone who is just tech savvy enough to be a hazard to himself and his devices will be greatly appreciated. I should add that I absolutely love BB. My dream is to recreate the arcade experience of my youth (I'm just old enough to have had an off-brand PONG system as a kid), and I've nearly realized it, with Big Box a huge part of the retro equation.

Cheers/thanks/Force be with you/game on ...  

I think Ive had your issue as well when using FSND when I mapped keyboard buttons to my joystick, this went away when using just the joystick. Futurestate has a different wheel I think than most themes so it could be theme specific. Try out some other themes and the suggested controller only.

Thanks for the link, Jason. I found the solution to the problem in a slight settings tweak: settings/ease of access/keyboard/set filter keys to off. Now the auto-scroll function is working wonderfully; it's like having an old friend back.

I should mention, Mr. RetroLust, that I had the same issue with all the themes since this was a Windows 10 correction. Also, I REALLY, REALLY love your theme! 

I appreciate the help from both of you. Thanks for all of your hard work and dedication.

• Game On 2