LaunchBox Community Forums

Favorite/Best Shmups Discussion

flatuswalrus

Just wanted to hear people's thoughts on shmups they dig, on any platform. I am partial to the Arcade and in particular love the bullet-hell/manic-shooter/maniac-shooter variety. So I naturally love Touhou Project but have never been able to properly get them running on my setup, but anyway.

Here are my favorite all time shooters (which all happen to be Arcade) in order from most favorite:

1. DoDonPachi
  2. Guwange
  3. Mushihime-Sama
  4. Cyvern
  5. Espgaluda II
  6. Ray Storm
  7. Deathsmiles
  8. Vasara & Vasara 2
  9. ESP Ra.De.
  10. Sengoku Blade (Tengai)
  11. Dragon Blaze
  12. Gunbird 2
  13. Progear
  14. Cotton 2: Magical Night Dreams
  15. Truxton II
  16. Shienryu

DoDonPachi is incredible, it rocks my knob off! Though, the creativity and imaginative nature of Guwange's mythological world captivates me and tickles my pickle like no other.

12 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

1. MUSHA

Despite the SEGA Mega Drive being my favorite system of all time I have to this day never played MUSHA. I used to collect for the system but never purchased a physical copy doe to the asking price. It is of course on my setup now but I just have not gotten around to it. I definitely will one day.

5 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

I just play 1942 because its visible from the top of my arcade list

As for you young man, for shame. Don't be such a lazy bum. Scroll down a bit further and you will find a whole new world of shooty goodness waiting for you.

6 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

I used to play 1942 in this small corner store after school when I was a yungun so it is some what nostalgic to me also. game was probably 8 or 9 years old by then probably why a run down old store could afford it

I have games that I play religiously. There are about 27k games on my LB/BB setup but I probably play on average the same 10 or so. I think that is good though because then there is so much more to discover later. It is not like I am miserable playing the same ones because of some weird OCD that won't let me move on, I just love playing those handful of games. When I finish renovating my living-room I plan on picking games I have not played before and giving them a good going. I will pick one at a time and focus just on it like I have spent all my pocket money on renting it from the video store back in the 80s/90s.

As for the 194X series I do love them. I much prefer the more 'sophisticated' ones like DoDonPachi but I could play 1942 all day and be a happy-chappy. Have you ever finished the game without pumping an exorbitant amount of free credits into it via MAME?

Edited by Dane

no of course not. Its purposely designed to be hard and suck your quarters out of your pockets. I've played all the way through some of the capcom 194X series but that doesn't count because the virtual quarters were flying out the virtual pocket on those occasions.

I played a lot of shmups on the snes back in the day but still have to play so many, one of my favs I can come up with out of my head where:

Axelay (by god this was digital LSD)

Any parodius game (love cute-em-ups!)

Does Granada count? On the Megadrive, still my favorite soundtrack.

Of course the raiden and gradius, salamander and all its 1000 names series.

I am really looking foreward to play a game (I bet you know which one I mean) which is a japanese cute-em-up style game where you fly over japanese arcades and stuff, this game was the last drop for me to go into launchbox basically after seeing it on that Iron Jesus dudes channel, have to play it still, its on the dreamcast as well if I recall correctly.

Cave made some amazing games as well, still have to play em all, to busy creating still.

• Game On 1

36 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

1. MUSHA

Also, I have a little rant pertaining to this game. Though it is not about the game per-se, but about idiots who sell physical copies of it. MUSHA is an unfortunate example of a game that is not truly rare but  goes for rare prices. A rare game at any one given point would not have multiple copies listed on eBay, but MUSHA does! I think it is just one of those games that has snowballed a slow hype train over time and prices have been driven up like media circumstance elevated The Beatles to a status far higher than they actually were at. There are always copies of the games for sale somewhere so it is not rare, but everyone puts the word 'rare' in the listing title. That is just something that annoys me.

2 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

no of course not. Its purposely designed to be hard and suck your quarters out of your pockets. I've played all the way through some of the capcom 194X series but that doesn't count because the virtual quarters were flying out the virtual pocket on those occasions.

Haha, yeah they sure were designed to drink those quarters down like a camel in the desert. After my house renovations are done I want to sit down and focus on DoDonPachi like a madman to see if I can beat the game in one credit. It will be a good challenge to focus on.

3 minutes ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

Axelay (by god this was digital LSD)

That is seriously the best description of that game. It was like it should not have looked like that but did, and it was one of the contributing factors in why it was so good.

Does Granada count? On the Megadrive, still my favorite soundtrack.

Granada is my 17th favorite Mega Drive game of all time. Take a look at number 17 here.

Cave made some amazing games as well, still have to play em all, to busy creating still.

I think next to Capcom Cave might have to be my favorite game publishers, they really did make some amazing stuff! You have good tastes.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

I am really looking foreward to play a game (I bet you know which one I mean) which is a japanese cute-em-up style game where you fly over japanese arcades and stuff, this game was the last drop for me to go into launchbox basically after seeing it on that Iron Jesus dudes channel, have to play it still, its on the dreamcast as well if I recall correctly.

Hmm, that is not Twinkle Star Sprites is it? I am not that au fait with the Dreamcast's library so that is the only cutesy one that comes to mind.

Nope twinkle star sprites was for the neo geo right? The game I mean was also in the arcades and on the dreamcast or saturn, but I cant seems to find the name, i'll look it up tomorrow, it looks amazing not sure if it is though. Loved your review of Granada! I cried (I am old enough now not be be ashamed, I think) when I first heared that emotional song came up, its the piano part in the credits or when game over, nr. 11 if im not mistaken. Hahaha

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

damn you have a 17th favorite game for any system.

Haha! I am currently composing my top 50 lists for quite a few systems, but with the Mega Drive I could easily do my top 100 for it. I just like stuff, and making lists about that stuff. My life is pretty exciting and action packed.

6 minutes ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

Nope twinkle star sprites was for the neo geo right? The game I mean was also in the arcades and on the dreamcast or saturn, but I cant seems to find the name, i'll look it up tomorrow, it looks amazing not sure if it is though. Loved your review of Granada! I cried (I am old enough now not be be ashamed, I think) when I first heared that emotional song came up, its the piano part in the credits or when game over, nr. 11 if im not mistaken. Hahaha

Twinkle Star Sprites was also on the Dreamcast. Yeah I am not sure what one you are talking about but when you find it and say it I will think 'ahhh, that is it!' Man, there is no shame in crying like a baby to nostalgia. I am a sucker for it. Sometimes I smell a certain plastic smell and it takes me back to the smell of opening a He-Man action figure in the 80s and it hits me like a ton of bricks. I have to be careful because if I get into an 80s YouTube binge of old commercials and stuff I will sit there sobbing like my mother has just died.

The soundtrack to Granada really is a thing of beauty and does conjure emotions in me also, you seriously are not the only one my friend.

Edited by Dane
  • The Cake is a Lie 1

Well to be fair I cried back then not now but I still love the song haha but I know what you mean, I can still smell fresh kenner action figures when thinking about star wars, chemical wonders!

Ive found the title, not sure now if it was on dreamcast though, edit: it was ps1:

Gunbare! Game Tengoku: The Game Paradise 2

And this one seems interesting as well:

harmful park

Lust sleep now, talk soon!

Zzzzzzz

• Like 1

Gunbare! Game Tengoku: The Game Paradise 2

Okay, I have not seen that one before. I will have to give it a go.

Well to be fair I cried back then not now but I still love the song haha

Well, if you ever find yourself visiting Australia, look me up. We can play a game of Granada together and then afterwards be two grown arse men comfortable enough with their heterosexuality to hold each and cry uncontrollably like two fat women on an Oprah weight loss episode. Then we can eat comfort food like chocolate ice-cream and reminisce about the good 'ol days.

Also, @Jason Carr regardless of how busy you are stop just posting on beta testing threads like a big boss man and step down in the trenches with us commons to tells us what your favorite shmup might be.
Edited by Dane
  • Haha 1

Yeah Deathsmiles is great though it's a tad on the easy side until you get to the last stage.

One game I forgot on my list is Harmful Park for the Playstation, that game is so good.

2 hours ago, Dane said:

Also, I have a little rant pertaining to this game. Though it is not about the game per-se, but about idiots who sell physical copies of it. MUSHA is an unfortunate example of a game that is not truly rare but  goes for rare prices. A rare game at any one given point would not have multiple copies listed on eBay, but MUSHA does! I think it is just one of those games that has snowballed a slow hype train over time and prices have been driven up like media circumstance elevated The Beatles to a status far higher than they actually were at. There are always copies of the games for sale somewhere so it is not rare, but everyone puts the word 'rare' in the listing title. That is just something that annoys me.

It is expensive but if people didn't pay those prices then they wouldn't be sold at those prices and it's one of those games that get those prices because it is just that good. Now I am not saying it is worth the price of admission but it is worth quite a bit. I keep thinking of selling my copy but then I always decide against it, I have had my copy since it came out so there will be no selling it now.

• Like 1