Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums

Recommended Posts

When searching for media, The Game Database almost never fails to find a match. EmuMovies, on the other hand, occasionally fails to find a match. My question is, what string is being used to search EmuMovies? Is it the game Title? I'd like to know so I can try editing the name (i.e. removing special characters, etc.) to see if it helps to return a match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The media search when importing games works great when your roms are named correctly. If your roms have extra info in the name not in brackets that will mess with the import and search. Anything extra such as revision, region or other info that is not the actual game name will mess with the import.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

The media search when importing games works great when your roms are named correctly. If your roms have extra info in the name not in brackets that will mess with the import and search. Anything extra such as revision, region or other info that is not the actual game name will mess with the import.

So it's the filename that's being used in the search?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If something isn't matching up with EmuMovies, it can help to change the title, if you can guess what EmuMovies is expecting.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, cool. I've been playing around with filenames and titles. Maybe my specific case is an oddball one. It's a Famicom Disk System ROM that's been translated to English. I've tried both the original title and the translated title with no luck. There is a hyphen in the mix, so I'm gonna try out different halves of the name, etc.

Thanks for the quick replies from both of you!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know if this is helpful to you, or to anyone else, but here's an example of what worked and didn't with a few ROMs:

Dr. Mario | Dr Mario: The Game Database returns a match either way, as Title or Filename. EmuMovies only responds when the Filename is changed to Dr. Mario (emphasis on the "."), however the media it fetches is a mixture of Dr. Mario and Dr. Franken. o.O

Kaettekita Mario Bros. | Kaettekita Mario Bros | Kaettekita Mario Brothers: My file uses "Brothers", Launchbox scrapes a Title that uses "Bros.", but that title doesn't return a match from EmuMovies. Eliminating the "." and changing it from "Bros." to "Bros" in the Title (leaving the filename ending in "Brothers".

All this is to say, your search algorithm is robust. Nice job!

And I think, and I know this is just wishful thinking, but this speaks to the need for a Dewey decimal analogue for game media. I realize that the Game Database is one of many examples of such a system, but if there was something universally adopted, especially with a numerical key, so as to avoid language and syntax issues.

I know, wishful thinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I'd love if that existed as well. Even if it was just us and EmuMovies. It'd be a lot of work to implement though, of course, so you're probably right, wishful thinking. I think those search matches would probably be best reported to @circo.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...