LaunchBox Community Forums

Why do so many of my MAME Roms not work?

ZeusMP

4 hours ago, rivalcycle said:

Alright, well it would appear that my problem would be that whatever file I ended up downloading wasnt a complete set of Rom Files then. So I suppose i should go and scrap these for a complete 0.206 set. I got mine from Archive.org, but where did you end up downloading your set? I'm guessing a "dome of pleasure"?

Yup.

• 3 years later...

Hi everyone

I am also having similar issues with my MAME set as many of the roms are not working. The set I have is a MAME 0.251 non-merged (around 130gb). To test it first, I have imported some roms individually to LaunchBox (using Tools>Import>Rom Files and then using RetroArch and MAME 0.251 as my emulator for Arcade) but some games simply don't launch, for example digdug.zip or shinobi.zip. See below screenshot of the files within these two games. I assume all zip files in a non-merged set have their bios and can be imported individually so I am not sure why the games won't launch?

I have tested with an older set (2016) and this seems to work but with this older set there were many missing roms (e.g.. dragon ball or tiger electronics) hence I wanted a more recent version. Can anyone please let me know a good/stable and recent version of MAME?

Shinobi

image.thumb.png.83f1568f8319511079ba20a838376c6f.png

Dig Dug

image.thumb.png.45e02a8c75ac6cb29611d9dcdbc5ab29.png

Edited by azorean

2 hours ago, azorean said:

I assume all zip files in a non-merged set have their bios and can be imported individually

Correct.  Example for DigDug, 51xx.bin and 53xx.bin are the 2 required bios files.  The rest are the games ROM files.

2 hours ago, azorean said:

Can anyone please let me know a good/stable and recent version of MAME?

Here is the MAME release 0.251 that corresponds to your 0.251 romset.  This is for standalone MAME (vs. the RetroArch core).

Click "mame0251b_64bit.exe" to download.  Run the exe to extract the files to your folder-of-choice.

Add the emulator to LaunchBox and in the Associated Platforms section, add your Platform (be sure it's spelled exactly the same as your actual platform [i.e. "Arcade" (without the quotes)]). Check the box for Default emulator.

When adding it, if you name it "MAME", LaunchBox will set the appropriate check boxes and command lines for you. Double check the Associated Platform to make sure it's correct as noted above.

Doing it this way, one thing you may need to add to the command line (if it isn't there) is "-rompath %romlocation%".  So the minimum command-line parameters should be

-keyboardprovider dinput -rompath %romlocation%

You can add other parameters if you wish. Example:

-artwork_crop -skip_gameinfo -nofilter -keyboardprovider dinput -rompath %romlocation%

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, JoeViking245 said:

Correct.  Example for DigDug, 51xx.bin and 53xx.bin are the 2 required bios files.  The rest are the games ROM files.

Here is the MAME release 0.251 that corresponds to your 0.251 romset.  This is for standalone MAME (vs. the RetroArch core).

Click "mame0251b_64bit.exe" to download.  Run the exe to extract the files to your folder-of-choice.

Add the emulator to LaunchBox and in the Associated Platforms section, add your Platform (be sure it's spelled exactly the same as your actual platform [i.e. "Arcade" (without the quotes)]). Check the box for Default emulator.

When adding it, if you name it "MAME", LaunchBox will set the appropriate check boxes and command lines for you. Double check the Associated Platform to make sure it's correct as noted above.

Doing it this way, one thing you may need to add to the command line (if it isn't there) is "-rompath %romlocation%".  So the minimum command-line parameters should be

-keyboardprovider dinput -rompath %romlocation%

You can add other parameters if you wish. Example:

-artwork_crop -skip_gameinfo -nofilter -keyboardprovider dinput -rompath %romlocation%

@JoeViking245 Many thanks!! It's all working fine now, I think I was missing the command lines for the standalone MAME. 

How do I map the controls for my xbox controller and set this to default so that I won't have to do it for every game?  

• Game On 1

5 minutes ago, JoeViking245 said:

Did you select Input Assignments (General)?

Yes I tried with both, General and "This system". I noticed though there isn't a "P1 Coin" button in "General", only in "This System". Is it under any different name in General?

Edited by azorean