Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums

Recommended Posts

I've got a lot of questions:

1. How many HDs are you using and what's their sizes?
2. I'm considering letting my heaviest ISO files uncompressed for performance, specially the heavier ones like PS2 games. How are you keeping your ISO files?
3. Do you have hacks and mods on your collection also or just the official released version?
4. Where did you find the second part (letter L to Z) of your PS2 collection?

Great collection mate, cheers.

  • Game On 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dusty RetroPixel said:

I've got a lot of questions:

1. How many HDs are you using and what's their sizes?
2. I'm considering letting my heaviest ISO files uncompressed for performance, specially the heavier ones like PS2 games. How are you keeping your ISO files?
3. Do you have hacks and mods on your collection also or just the official released version?
4. Where did you find the second part (letter L to Z) of your PS2 collection?

Great collection mate, cheers.

1. Four drives. 2 x 4TB, 1 x 5TB and 1 x 6TB

2. I keep the ISO's compressed, in their ISO form as I can fit more on the drives. Some PS2 games come in .cue and .bin files, I leave them as they are.

3. I've tried to find every possible version of all the games which includes hacks and mods

4. Forums, google searches and more. Have a search for Arcade Punks, what they don't have you'll find inside what they do have as they include URL's to others. Generally I find that one opens somewhere and I'll find somewhere else, and keep going... Chase the rabbit! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2019 at 9:41 PM, Mcfly 2019 said:

I'm not familiar with Craig Anderson, have I used some of his videos or something else? If I have, then apologies for not knowing who he is :/

System emulators;

Apple I - POM1   pom1.sourceforge.net

Banpresto - MAMEP64 0.160

Brezzasoft Crystal System - MAME 0.168

Coleco Adam - Virtual Adam 1.03

Coleco Telstar - WinArcadia 17.6.0.1

IBM - PCemV14Win

Infocom - Frotz 1.1.8

Magnavox Odyssey - WinArcadia 17.6.0.1

Tesla PMD 85 - PMD85v13p

 

Not all games work flawlessly, some do need to be individually 'tweaked'. I haven't played all games to check :) 

WinArcadia can emulate the Coleco Telstar and Magnavox Odyssey?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, another update. The answer is......... defrag. Honestly. I moved a TON of files around, it got slower and slower after a point but my( annual) defrag-fest reported that my drives were a mess, so i defragged all of them, it took a while, but ultimately doing this helped Launchbox and BigBox A LOT. It's still not lightning fast but you know what? It'll do. For those who are interested, don't go above 200k games. TBH it was only once i surpassed this total that these videos and other things started to lag - i know for many this won't be an issue but for those who 'push the envelope' - know that anything over this amount will bring headaches. Unless you find something else, I'm sticking with this as the fix ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2019 at 9:41 PM, Mcfly 2019 said:

Coleco Telstar - WinArcadia 17.6.0.1

Magnavox Odyssey - WinArcadia 17.6.0.1

How do you emulate these in WinArcadia?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mcfly 2019 said:

Ok, another update. The answer is......... defrag. Honestly. I moved a TON of files around, it got slower and slower after a point but my( annual) defrag-fest reported that my drives were a mess, so i defragged all of them, it took a while, but ultimately doing this helped Launchbox and BigBox A LOT. It's still not lightning fast but you know what? It'll do. For those who are interested, don't go above 200k games. TBH it was only once i surpassed this total that these videos and other things started to lag - i know for many this won't be an issue but for those who 'push the envelope' - know that anything over this amount will bring headaches. Unless you find something else, I'm sticking with this as the fix ;)

Do you defrag the Launchbox folders or the Roms folders?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SonicFan53 said:

How do you emulate these in WinArcadia?

You're right, these don't work for all Telstar and Odyssey games. I must have checked one game each with WinArcadia, found that it worked, then moved on. Unfortunately I don't know what games these were... I'll keep looking for another emulator for these platforms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Retrofrogg said:

Do you defrag the Launchbox folders or the Roms folders?

I defragged all my drives. I had to move a lot of games folders off of my games drives as they were almost full to allow proper defragging, then moved them back and defragged again. And again. And again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, fromlostdays said:

Are you importing like every mame software list? 

I'm currently using MAMEUI64 v. 0.215 for my arcade collection. This is the complete .215 collection, imported as a "full set". I've also got about a dozen other MAME versions I use for other platforms as they seem to work better with these older versions. I found it easier to keep the mame folders separate with their own roms in their original roms folders. For instance, Brezzasoft Crystal System uses MAME 0.168, NEOGEO uses MAME 0.137.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Mcfly 2019 said:

I defragged all my drives. I had to move a lot of games folders off of my games drives as they were almost full to allow proper defragging, then moved them back and defragged again. And again. And again.

Sounds like fun. My Launchbox folder is on an SSD; I don’t think you’re supposed to defrag those?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mcfly 2019 said:

Oh - I'm now at 403,551 games on 238 systems and around... 300 or so playlists. I know ;)

how is the speed of launchbox? I am struggling with only 25 thousand games and probably 100 Systems. also thinking how do I want to manage the Arcade Section. I am unsure if I want to have one big arcade system or divided it by every arcade machine - at least for the Sega, namco etc arcade systems. on the other hand I am fearing the amount of work for the split and getting all the images and videos for the systems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

with a SSD when you run the defrag process it trim the disk and doesn't defrag it as Windows is smart enough to know the difference in drive type and won't attempt to defrag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mcfly 2019 said:

You're right, these don't work for all Telstar and Odyssey games. I must have checked one game each with WinArcadia, found that it worked, then moved on. Unfortunately I don't know what games these were... I'll keep looking for another emulator for these platforms.

ok

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/29/2020 at 12:17 AM, fromlostdays said:

Are you importing like every mame software list? 

I imported a 'full set', the latest I have is .215

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm done. I've uploaded the finished product to YouTube; https://youtu.be/Wm54MMTeqTA - 238 platforms, 403,664 titles, 268 playlists. I managed to get the video delay down to about 6 seconds between each platform, playlists are significantly quicker. I'm happy with how this turned out. I actually have this on a 42" vertical screen, image attached. This is Pinball FX 3 showing. I bought the X-Arcade Trackball joystick as I had one before and it was superb - especially the side buttons for playing pinball. The video has a different theme to what I use for the full setup, the vertical theme doesn't look as good on widescreens. Thanks to everyone for helping me out with the video delays, most appreciated! :D

wqKs6888T7mYI5wu0EHQJA.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What emulator are you using for Mattel Intellivision; and how are you controlling the games since the number pad makes emulation a pain in the ass with most joystick controllers and arcade controls? I ask because I have been struggling finding a good solution for playing those games on my setup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...