LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox is broken after latest update

nealosis

Is there a flag I can set in the BigBox config file to suppress this error? If not, do you have a link to the previous build? It’s a huge pain to try to troubleshoot stuff on my TV and I’d honestly rather just roll back to working system (and block future updates).

I understand that but this is a commercial/paid product and if automatic updates are going to be forced onto users, those users should have some degree of confidence that these changes aren't going to break their system. I'm so grateful that I never migrated my arcade cabinet from MALA to BigBox because if I had and an automatic update broke the install (as just happened on my HTPC) I would have been enraged since my cabinet has to be disassembled to plug in a mouse.

16 minutes ago, nealosis said:

I understand that but this is a commercial/paid product and if automatic updates are going to be forced onto users, those users should have some degree of confidence that these changes aren't going to break their system. I'm so grateful that I never migrated my arcade cabinet from MALA to BigBox because if I had and an automatic update broke the install (as just happened on my HTPC) I would have been enraged since my cabinet has to be disassembled to plug in a mouse.

In all honesty, if a theme update is too much work for you, then you should have turned off automatic updates to begin with. It's not difficult to do. A theme update takes all of 2 minutes, so I don't understand what the issue is here at all.

Regardless, I'm working on a new theme manager and downloader feature which will make this issue moot.

8 hours ago, nealosis said:

Awesome, thanks! I will roll back and block future updates.

Looks like everyone else using this theme is broken too

This theme was updated on Monday and now works with the newest version of lanchbox, it's a simple case of deleting your current version and adding the new one, simples.

image.thumb.png.ae82a5e0c2a0c13b5ef8d0c49fd0a8d2.png

• Haha 1

Also just to add, this is always a risk when using user created content, as that theme is. If/when changes are made to the program that would effect something like themes then the official themes that come with the program will of course be altered/updated so they continue to work as intended. However the dev can not guarantee this for user created content that he has no hand in creating. This is simply a risk you take with user created content with any program or platform i'm afraid. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

In all honesty, if a theme update is too much work for you, then you should have turned off automatic updates to begin with.

Wow, okay I've heard enough. You insult your customers by saying it's their responsibility to troubleshoot your software when your automatic updates break your program. My problem is solved and I'm not arguing the importance of proper release management here. I'm off to investigate BigBox alternatives.

1 minute ago, nealosis said:

You insult your customers by saying it's their responsibility to troubleshoot your software when your automatic updates break your program.

The issue here is though that the update did not break the program like you say, the program still works just fine and has had new features, feature improvements and bug fixes included in it with the update. What has happened is the "user created" theme you was using needed updating, it has been and is available for download. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the program update, but a again "user created" theme that you use. It is not on the program dev to make sure that any user created themes or plugins are still working, they are unofficial and not officially supported by the dev or moderators here, do you blame microsoft when a poorly coded program you download from a random part of the internet doesnt work correctly on your Windows machine? Any troubleshooting related to themes or plugins and the like should be directed to the authors of those "user created" themes and plugins.

1 minute ago, neil9000 said:

The issue here is though that the update did not break the program like you say, the program still works just fine and has had new features, feature improvements and bug fixes included in it with the update. What has happened is the "user created" theme you was using needed updating, it has been and is available for download. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the program update, but a again "user created" theme that you use

Then create a dependency tree the way Linux does with APT packages so that dependencies can be properly resolved and installed rather than triggering a breaking automatic update. What about all the people buying pre-loaded HTPC, emulation boxes that have a custom skin pre-loaded? Do you really expect these people to conduct a forensics investigation to try to figure out why their system is now broken?

Don't ship this product with Automatic Updates enabled by default and when updates are available make sure to point out that if any customization has been applied that the product may experience breakage.

1 minute ago, nealosis said:

What about all the people buying pre-loaded HTPC, emulation boxes that have a custom skin pre-loaded? Do you really expect these people to conduct a forensics investigation to try to figure out why their system is now broken?

If people buying pre-loaded PC's come here looking for support they will get none. That is highly illegal and this is a legitimate business. They would have to contact the shady person they bought there illegal box from for support. 

3 minutes ago, nealosis said:

Don't ship this product with Automatic Updates enabled by default and when updates are available make sure to point out that if any customization has been applied that the product may experience breakage.

Auto updates are enabled for a reason, to make sure people are on the most up to date and bug free version of the software. 99% of people want updates to there software that improves said software, especially if they "have paid" for it. Updates can be easily disabled in the options if you do not want to auto update. Also change logs for updates are always available here if you want to know what is in a update before you actually update.

https://www.launchbox-app.com/about/changelog

47 minutes ago, nealosis said:

Wow, okay I've heard enough. You insult your customers by saying it's their responsibility to troubleshoot your software when your automatic updates break your program. My problem is solved and I'm not arguing the importance of proper release management here. I'm off to investigate BigBox alternatives.

He did not say you had to troubleshoot he just said you have to download the user created theme that was updated to work with the new version of BigBox. You posted a link to the theme from the creator and then say "Looks like everyone using this theme is broken too" and you did not even bother to read the thread you linked to see the creator of that theme fixed it. All you had to do was read it to know to download the update and you would be back up and running fine. 

7 minutes ago, nealosis said:

I get it, you guys don't care about your customers. Enough said, I'm moving on to a more stable product with a more mature community.

Thanks again and good luck!
Cheers

Sorry you feel that way. Honestly I do not get it. This forum is full of members, mods, and the developer all working together. Not sure why you think the program should do everything for you, even fix user created additions. For a single person developing you are asking a lot. It is not unusual for a developer to update their software and have third party apps break. Seen it plenty of times with Microsoft, Android, iOS, and yes even Raspberry Pi get an update and the user created themes had to be fixed by the creator. You came and advised something was not working. You were given advice on a simple step to fix. That seems pretty helpful and like people cared. 

Good luck to you as well and Cheers.

14 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

You can roll back your LB install by running the previous update that should be in your |Launchbox\Updates folder.

You can turn off updates in the options.

Lordmonkus or anyone else here. How do I rollback and keep all my current settings? I'm having an issue with Wii and I want to check if a previous version works.

2 minutes ago, Tatts4Life said:

Lordmonkus or anyone else here. How do I rollback and keep all my current settings? I'm having an issue with Wii and I want to check if a previous version works.

In your Launchbox\Updates folder you should see prior versions. You can install from there. It will not mess with your current settings. Just be mindful how far you go back since they may not support some newer features. But your settings otherwise should be fine. 

What issues are you having?

8 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

In your Launchbox\Updates folder you should see prior versions. You can install from there. It will not mess with your current settings. Just be mindful how far you go back since they may not support some newer features. But your settings otherwise should be fine. 

What issues are you having?

I have standalone Dolphin for Wii and GameCube. I haven't tried GameCube but with Wii if I exit a game in BB the screen turns black and nothing happens. I  Ctrl alt delete to bring up the task manager and nothing pops up, but I can log out and then back in. If I open a game in LB things work fine. I did update Dolphin to the newest version which was 3 days old yesterday. It worked just fine and I played a game and it exited just fine. Then I turned off my system. Later in the day I went back to playing a game and when I was done playing through big box it froze again. LB works fine though. Also if I open Dolphin outside of LB things work fine. It just seems to be an issue with BB.