LaunchBox Community Forums

9.6-beta-1 Released

Jason Carr

Is this beta purely a themes project or will there be other additions? Just wondering where the current project list is. Maybe from the last poll? Looking forward to indicators on the game images that show if they are grouped and some of the other things that have been mentioned before.

7 minutes ago, FlightRisk said:

Is this beta purely a themes project or will there be other additions? Just wondering where the current project list is. Maybe from the last poll? Looking forward to indicators on the game images that show if they are grouped and some of the other things that have been mentioned before.

Not to forget pause screen :)

• Like 2

Definitely! Can't forget pause screen. Bezels would be great too, but I get the challenges Jason has there. Each emulator can do the bezels for the most part, but it is a pain because they have different formats. So MAME (which is really where I spend most of my time) has a complex setup of layered images controlled from a LAY file, while RocketLauncher has a completely different format with a simple INI file and Retroarch yet another one calling them "overlays" and using a CFG file. I can switch back and forth. But it still seems appealing to me to have it all rolled into one application.

Edited by FlightRisk
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, FlightRisk said:

Whatever you say Damien. I wouldn't want to cross you ;) But if I had pause screens, I would drop RocketLauncher and then go back to using the emulators overlays/bezels or use RetroArch like I do on my Pi setup.

Pause Screens is my most anticipated as well.  But I'm sure @Jason Carrhasn't forgotten just need to be patience.

BUT I gotta ask why the "Whatever you say Damien. I wouldn't want to cross you" comment?  All he said is he also wants it.  Sorry seems weirdly snippy for no reason. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Retro808 said:

Maybe because of Omen's screen name...making a link to "Damien" Omen??

Haha yup, I also have Damien from The Omen as my avatar.

3 hours ago, ALIE said:

Sure makes sense. Guess it flew over my head ?

Lol it went over my head too for a sec... Then I remembered my screen name. ?

Edited by Omen
  • Like 1

On 3/11/2019 at 6:28 PM, RULLUR said:

Still seems to be an issue with the music playing in LaunchBox when a game is Launched to where you have to go back and turn it off and try again or it will play while in a game

I've heard that this is an issue with Launch With in Big Box (on my list), but haven't heard it mentioned about LaunchBox itself for a long while. Can anyone else reproduce?

5 hours ago, FlightRisk said:

There may be other additions, but I'm not entirely sure what they'll be yet. Yes, my main focus is still the poll items. There's not many left, but there are a few big ones.

4 hours ago, ErAzOr said:

Not to forget pause screen :)

Yup, that's one of the big ones.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Beta 5 is out now with the rest of the theme manager implemented. Pretty much everything should be there and working properly, including assigning particular views to particular platforms and playlists.

The new theme submission web pages are done as well, sans for integrating them with the forums login system. I'm working with IPB to get that going here soon; planning on having it ready to go some time next week, and then we can start accepting theme submissions for including in Big Box.

In the mean time, I'll be going through my never-ending to-do list of "minor" things, and we'll see what I can improve on.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Game On 1
  • The Cake is a Lie 1

And yes, the Damien reference was a joke. Not sure how many of you saw the original movie, but the "The Omen" (and "The Exorcist") changed movie horror forever. They were the first really disturbing movies I remember seeing. There was terror, horror, jump scares, etc., but those two were disturbing. The preceded the slasher film craze. I was in high school. 1976. Something about an evil child is just wrong. SPOILER: The scene at his birthday party where the nanny kills herself in front of everyone saying "It's all for you, Damien!" still gives me nightmares.  So if Mr. Omen wants a new feature, I suggest we give it to him ?

• Haha 1

On 3/11/2019 at 9:28 PM, RULLUR said:

Still seems to be an issue with the music playing in LaunchBox when a game is Launched to where you have to go back and turn it off and try again or it will play while in a game

I'm on 9.5 and this happens every time I launch a game through the "Launch with..." sub-menu. Launchbox begins to play the soundtrack once the Startup splash screen comes up, then it doesn't stop playing the music at all until I quit the game and manually pause it. It does not happen nearly as often when I hit "Play" but it does happen every once in a while.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, gillfigno@hotmail.com said:

I'm on 9.5 and this happens every time I launch a game through the "Launch with..." sub-menu. Launchbox begins to play the soundtrack once the Startup splash screen comes up, then it doesn't stop playing the music at all until I quit the game and manually pause it. It does not happen nearly as often when I hit "Play" but it does happen every once in a while.

Yeah..and with mine I have no music for LaunchBox set to play and have even the volume turned all the way down to off. I don't have music playing in LaunchBox..but like you I have the music for the title playing on Startup when doing a "Launch With...".

When it first happened to me I thought it was cool to have it playing the music I picked for it while things load up..but then once the game was on it was colliding the music with the game and knew right then it was a glitch.

Beta 6 is out now with the following:

- Improvement: Added three new properties to the Game object in order to better support theme developers: BindableVideoPath, BindableThemeVideoPath, and BindableThemeVideoOrVideoPath. These new properties can be used as a binding in the VideoControl for custom themes.

- Improvement: Integrated the PrioritizedPathSelector control that was previously available as a custom plugin into Big Box, specifically for startup themes. A tutorial will be available on the forums shortly.

- Fixed: In some situations, the new game startup screens were causing game music to play in the background while a game is running

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Beta 7 is out now as well with a new way to include fonts in custom themes without having to create a custom DLL, or requiring the user to install them manually:

This was important, because all themes that are approved for including in the theme manager are not allowed to require the user to have to run through any manual installation steps.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1