LaunchBox Community Forums
Zombeaver

C64 Dreams (massive curated C64 collection)

A little update on my 3D Box set.  

So, my little project takes a while longer than i had thought and we are also making our own new 3D box set in the other thread
(i'm not exactly sure WHO is actually working on it, but i've supplied all the 2D Box art with spines that i could find so far, so now i can go back to actually concentrating on this).  

I've also re-thought entirely how i will go about it again.  

I have 3 different 3D Box sets now plus the stuff that got scraped from the LaunchBox DB.  
i guess people will have different subjective opinions on which 3D Box set they like best, i'm not gonna go with what i think looks best anymore but supply all 4 options instead.  

it will work like this:  

there will be 4 Folders for each type of 3D box (and when something new is released in the other thread i can add that as a 5th option),
since C64 Dreams does not use region tags i'm not gonna bother with the region folder structure at all, just 4 folders with each box type in one of them.  
i'm going through each game now 1 by 1 and make sure that the filenames match the game name as it is in C64 Dreams LaunchBox and that the scrape in the LBDB folder is up-to-date.  

It is required that the filenames of the .png files are identical so all 4 box types will be visible to LaunchBox.  

That gives you a few options.  

variant 1: you copy the content of the folder you like best into the 3D Box folder, then you decide which you like 2nd best, copy the content of that folder into the same 3D Box folder and when it asks if you want to overwrite files you say NO,
You can do prioritize that way which box type you like best and which ones you want to use as fallback option and in what priority.  

variant 2: you throw all 4 folders (or the 3, or 2 that you like) in there as sub folders and it will randomly decide which box type to display as there is no way for LaunchBox to prioritze those folders.  

variant 3: if you have the paid LaunchBox version you could instead throw the boxes you like in region folders that fit with your own region priorities in LaunchBox and it should in theory prioritize on its own what to show you, without any of the overwriting stuff.  

i think i will NOT clean up the folders from unused stuff (only from clearly broken stuff), Zomb can use it as a resource for when he adds new games to C64 Dreams and everyone else who is concerned about having unused files in there can still use the LaunchBox Media clean up option to get rid of unused stuff, "at your own risk" 😜  

...lets see if i stick with this approach this time.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

An unrelated comment on one of the tools included in this set.

If you want/need a very quick and super clean PDF reader, for use with LaunchBox or any other reason, CDisplayEx (the comic book reader) works amazingly well. I just associated it with PDF files when I noticed LaunchBox doesn't use its built-in reader for manuals unless you're in the BigBox mode. Easy setup and use. Comes up full-screen, pages sized to fit, change pages with cursor keys, esc returns to LB. 

Edited by Pixelpiper
  • Thanks 1

Yep, I'm a long time fan of CDisplayEx so I figured I'd use it for the local version of the magazines. It's a great reader. It's portable as well so it works perfectly here.

Zombeaver you are a God among men!  Thank you so much!  This set is amazing.  Is it possible you can add (or I can add) EPYX Jumpman Junior?  Thanks again!!

You're very welcome! Glad you're enjoying it!

I'll add in Jumpman Junior in the next update. If you want to add it in in the meantime, just add the below into the C64 Dreams\C64 Dreams\Games folder. You'll still need to import it into Launchbox - just import the .vbs file, and choose "none of the above" when importing because you don't want it to use an emulator.

Jumpman Junior.7z

Could i please make a request the c64 has a deep place in my heart from when i got one for xmas in my teans up till i got my amiga.

My real c64 with sd mod my c64mini and maxi  are in storeage due to lack of room at the moment.

c64 dreams is fantastic and is on my computer i have 3 c64 games that i got for xmas with my c64 is there any way i can add them?

thanks for your work with this

You can add anything you want. The process is simple with my automation tools. You still have to do a little bit of work if it's a multi-disk game or a game where the program you're wanting to start isn't the first program (like something on a multi-game disk image) but other than that it's just straight up drag and drop. Go into C64 Dreams\C64 Dreams\Utilities\Creation Tools and then take some disk images, make sure they're named after the game title, and then just drag them onto !Automator.bat if there's 10 or less of them. If there's more than that you can do up to 100 at a time with !Automator - Batch 100.bat. Then just move the folders that it creates into the C64 Dreams\C64 Dreams\Games folder.

Let me know what it is you're wanting to add and I'll add them into the collection in the next update. You can add them into your own collection in the meantime with the automation tools.

4 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

You can add anything you want. The process is simple with my automation tools. You still have to do a little bit of work if it's a multi-disk game or a game where the program you're wanting to start isn't the first program (like something on a multi-game disk image) but other than that it's just straight up drag and drop. Go into C64 Dreams\C64 Dreams\Utilities\Creation Tools and then take some disk images, make sure they're named after the game title, and then just drag them onto !Automator.bat if there's 10 or less of them. If there's more than that you can do up to 100 at a time with !Automator - Batch 100.bat. Then just move the folders that it creates into the C64 Dreams\C64 Dreams\Games folder.

Let me know what it is you're wanting to add and I'll add them into the collection in the next update. You can add them into your own collection in the meantime with the automation tools.

Thank you so much the two games i got as a child for xmas with my c64

superfruit

stallerwars

also have memerys of ring of power. me and my brother spending weeks trying to complete.

but all other games are there thank you for shareing this

Okay, if you haven't done it already, here they are. You'll also need to do the update from here if you haven't already, because Stellar Wars needs an .opt file (to tell it to use joyport 1) which is included but won't work correctly without the update.

deleted

Actually, use this one. Sooper Froot and The Ring of Power are both keyboard-only, so this version has the overrides put it to indicate that in the bezel.

orac31 requests v2.7z

How the heck do you get the controllers to work?

The games launch but I cant do anyting!!!

What kind of controller are you using? As I say in the opening post, this is designed to be used with a 360 or XB1 controller. It could work with something else but the hotkeys will likely either not work or be in the wrong place.

Alternately, you can use the keyboard controls. They're listed in the opening post.

Thank you for your response.

I have an Xbox 360 controller and two EasyGet Arcade controllers I use for MAME games.

Here is what I've discovered. When a game launches at the bottom is display that shows game port configurations

When a game launches one of them grabs  game port 0, the other will grab either game port 1 or 2. They are identified as Retrolink N64 controllers

The Xbox 360 controller will be game port 1 or 2.

None of the controllers are responsive.

The keyboard doesnt work for anything but ctrl-alt-del

If I remove the two EasyGet Arcade controllers  then the Xbox 360 controller (gets game port 0) and the keyboard will work.

I've found controller settings in the C64 Dreams folders but dont know what to change.

Not sure how to change this. Any ideas?

I'm not sure what to suggest there other than just leaving them disconnected. You can thank Retroarch's rather arbitrary method of input device priorization which basically just uses Windows' internal device numbering system. You could try connecting the 360 controller first, if it's wired, and then the others. If it's wireless and you turn it off or disconnect over USB it'll reshuffle the order.

You can try messing with Retroarch's controller autoconfig system to see if you can make the arcade controllers reconfigured to be something more correct, but your mileage is going to vary and I don't know how well that will work. My advice would be to look into getting something like this if you don't have one and hooking the various controllers up to it. That's what I do with my more specialized controllers like my flight stick and arcade stick - the flight stick in particular can make some applications completely freak out for no apparent reason, so with that you can just toggle stuff off quickly as needed.

What games are you wanting added? I don't have a problem adding non-English games into the collection (there are a number of such games in the collection already) so long as they're playable without requiring comprehension of whatever language they're in (which is often the case given how simplistic most C64 games are). If it's something like a text adventure or RPG though probably not. Or if there's an English version available I can at least add those.