LaunchBox Community Forums
Mr. RetroLust

Neon Deluxe Arcade - Big Box Theme

11 minutes ago, FingerCramp said:

Hmmm, pardon my ignorance on this issue....  but when I built this machine, I purposely bought the cheapest second-hand flat-screen monitor I could find, assuming that since I'm only using it to run ancient 8-bit graphics games such as Galaga and Ms. Pac Man, the crappiest resolution would work best.  Was my thinking wrong on this?  Should I be doing something differently, giving what I'm using this for?   Advice is appreciated.

I understand why you would choose lower resolution for games, although this resolution mostly runs with VGA cables which in turn are analog, better to buy a HDMI or DVI monitor purely for sharper details and (often overlooked) much better colors, also if you like launchbox/bigbox then you'll want a nicer representation of all the themes and artwork. 1080p monitors are basically cheap to get, highly recommended! 

Ps If you still want to use this monitor with that resolution you could try to set the windows text DPI scaling to around 75%, I'm a bit dyscalculiated but it should be around that percentage when comparing 1920x1080 to 1360x768. I hope that would work for you as well. Still recommend 1080p though :)

@Mr. RetroLust @neil9000  Thanks for your thoughts on this.  It's been so long since I built this thing I can't remember if I'm using a VGA cable or not.  I'll have to dig into it when I get a chance.

Appreciated,

-Mike

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FingerCramp said:

@Mr. RetroLust @neil9000  Thanks for your thoughts on this.  It's been so long since I built this thing I can't remember if I'm using a VGA cable or not.  I'll have to dig into it when I get a chance.

Appreciated,

-Mike

Keep us up to date and good luck bro!

On 8/16/2019 at 11:14 AM, Mr. RetroLust said:

Keep us up to date and good luck bro!

Ok so back to this machine, I exited Bigbox and attempted to change the screen resolution in Windows 10 (gawd I hate Windows) and most likely due to it being a VGA cable the 1920x1080 looks horrible - in Windows. But once I start up Bigbox and play games, all looks great, including the theme. So, I’m happy. :)  

Thanks again. 

-Mike

• Game On 1