Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums
Jason Carr

LaunchBox 2019 New Feature Poll

LaunchBox 2019 New Feature Poll  

1,698 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Round 1 - Choose all features that you would like to prioritize:

    • New Paid Android Version (Select Games on the Desktop, Export to Android)
      539
    • Platform-specific Zoom and Aspect Ratios for LaunchBox
      332
    • Marquee Video Support, Customization Options for Placement and Image Types
      422
    • Add Alternate Names, Game Type, Max Players, Wikipedia Link, and Video Link fields from the LaunchBox Games Database to LaunchBox
      544
    • Integrated Retroarch Netplay Lobby Browser
      458
    • Display Platform/Playlist/Category Information in the LaunchBox Game Details Sidebar when No Game is Selected
      327
    • Add Sort By Options to Big Box (another item in the alphanumeric list)
      433
    • Integrate MAME High Scores and Show Community Scores
      499
    • Disable Certain Controllers (such as Flight Sticks), Multiple Controllers with Different Bindings
      222
    • Bulk Edit Additional Apps
      294
    • Per-Game AutoHotkey Script Support
      329
    • Previous and Next Buttons in LaunchBox Edit Window
      365
    • Automatic Multi-Disc Playlist Creation for Retroarch
      470
    • Backup and Restore Options for Data and Settings
      687
    • Big Box Wall View Overhaul
      451
    • Game Screenshot Grabber
      410
    • Big Box Theme-Specific Settings (Save and Restore Settings for Each Theme)
      474
    • Indicator/Icon for Games with Multiple Versions Available
      594
    • Bulk Edit Platform and Move Media to Proper Folders
      497
    • Option to Reverse Sort Order in LaunchBox
      217
  2. 2. Round 2 - Choose all features that you would like to prioritize:

    • Amiga WHD Name Conversion (Like MAME)
      325
    • Icons for Types of Controls (Keyboard/Mouse, PS4/Xbox Controller, Wiimote, Nunchuk, etc.)
      746
    • API importer for GOG
      387
    • Option to Force Update Games Database Metadata
      446
    • Option to Manually Check for Updates
      524
    • Retro Achievements Gamer Score, Profile, and Leaderboards
      567
    • Proper Support for Year-Only Release Dates
      250
    • Auditing Overhaul - Add Missing Fields and Allow Full-Library Audits
      434
    • Parsec Integration
      173
    • Allow Launch With for Additional Apps/Versions
      282
    • Media Cleanup Overhaul - Review/Change Items, Move to Folder or Delete
      525
    • Xbox Controller and PS4 Controller Home Button Support
      1062
    • New Document Fields for Hintbooks, Cheats, and Maps
      417
    • Video Clip Grabber for Missing Videos
      608
    • Steam Achievements in Details like Retro Achievements
      422
    • Visual icon/indicator for Broken Games
      535
    • Filter to Games with Missing Media
      590
    • Proper Support for MAME Software Lists
      392
    • Big Box Parental Restrictions (Use Pin Code to Hide Games with Certain Ratings)
      251
    • Option to Name Media via ROM File Name instead of Game Title (where possible, won't work for non-ROM-based platforms)
      235


Recommended Posts

Any chance on getting closer on having something of a Joy-To-Key built in for LaunchBox that can be set to each title if wanted to, but mostly for PC Games that maybe didn't support controllers or are originally set in a way that maybe wasn't comfortable to play with? I think for me it's mainly that and getting the Media Database set right are the Top 2 things for me other than the Home/Guide Button Support which I'm excited to see coming soon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, RULLUR said:

Any chance on getting closer on having something of a Joy-To-Key built in for LaunchBox that can be set to each title if wanted to, but mostly for PC Games that maybe didn't support controllers or are originally set in a way that maybe wasn't comfortable to play with? I think for me it's mainly that and getting the Media Database set right are the Top 2 things for me other than the Home/Guide Button Support which I'm excited to see coming soon

Unfortunately I don't plan on tackling a joy-to-key-like solution any time soon. It would be a major undertaking and it didn't seem to gather much positive interest in the brainstorming live stream.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! Makes me kinda wish I joined the stream later after getting married that day. Not sure if my input of it would've maybe had influenced others interested in the feature or not, but would totally love to see that happening. It'll just be so awesome to kinda have Old PC Games played on Controllers from the couch via BigBox with the projector setup I have and not really need to worry about a keyboard or mouse all in the same sitting. I'm just trying not to lose hope in that being a thing though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, RULLUR said:

Wow! Makes me kinda wish I joined the stream later after getting married that day. Not sure if my input of it would've maybe had influenced others interested in the feature or not, but would totally love to see that happening. It'll just be so awesome to kinda have Old PC Games played on Controllers from the couch via BigBox with the projector setup I have and not really need to worry about a keyboard or mouse all in the same sitting. I'm just trying not to lose hope in that being a thing though

I feel like eventually it will be one of the only things left to tackle.  Same for me.  I have a lot of PC games, and some old DOS platformers that I like to use a controller with, so I need to be able to have joy2key launched when that game is started.  But it needs to be database driven so the frontend (or in my case Rocketlauncher) tells the keymapper which profile to launch depending on the game name.  There are surprisingly also a lot of modern PC games that wig out because I have so many controllers plugged into my computer, so they don't "see" the xbox controller as being the player 1 controller that it would otherwise with nothing else plugged in.  Like in broforce for example,  it thinks one of my 4 gamecube controllers plugged into the mayflash adapter is the default windows player 1 controller, and there is no way to manually set it to something else within the game.  So I have a keymapper profile for that that is binded to the controller I want.

Edited by damageinc86
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, damageinc86 said:

I feel like eventually it will be one of the only things left to tackle.  Same for me.  I have a lot of PC games, and some old DOS platformers that I like to use a controller with, so I need to be able to have joy2key launched when that game is started.  But it needs to be database driven so the frontend (or in my case Rocketlauncher) tells the keymapper which profile to launch depending on the game name.  There are surprisingly also a lot of modern PC games that wig out because I have so many controllers plugged into my computer, so they don't "see" the xbox controller as being the player 1 controller that it would otherwise with nothing else plugged in.  Like in broforce for example,  it thinks one of my 4 gamecube controllers plugged into the mayflash adapter is the default windows player 1 controller, and there is no way to manually set it to something else within the game.  So I have a keymapper profile for that that is binded to the controller I want.

Yeah..like I been seeing many talk of once they get the actual Joy-To-Key to open with the game they have as an App with they tend to have to manually go and close the Joy-To-Key or create some sort of batch file or something way out of my league of understanding all the way without screwing it up even more. I also deal with the issue of my 2 Wireless Afterglow PS3/PC Controllers from remembering which is Player 1 and Player 2 to where I now unplug them before Restarting or Turning off my Laptop and then placing the USB dongle of the Player 1 in first and turn on the Controller and then do the same for Player 2 in the same slots as they were before I Restart or turned it off, and that for now seems to work, but I agree something needs to fix that so nobody get mixed up on which Controller they are & etc each time all come around to play something shortly after turning things on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey @RULLUR and @damageinc86, I use joy2key for MAME and some PC games as an additional app with a simple script that kills joy2key when the game is closed (so there is no conflict with key assignation with other games/emus once MAME or the specific games are closed).

I also use a very lightweight utility called "devreorder" (https://github.com/briankendall/devreorder), that let's me choose the order of all the controllers I have plugged in (or will be plugging), as well as hiding specific ones (i.e. for when a game is not compatible with controller 1 and needs to use 2 as the main one). This can be done for one game, one folder, or the whole system.

Let me know if the above might be of help for your setups and/or need any help with it, and I will share what I have configured.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2019 at 1:43 PM, Jason Carr said:

All very interesting. I can say for certain that the Android version would be a single "forever license" purchase, and it would certainly be cheaper than $12 as well.

What I like about Retrox is the ability to play games stored in the cloud. It would be cool if you can add Retrox compatibility on Launchbox so you can view and exacute games stored from the cloud through launchbox even on windows say via Nox or Bluestacks.

If I am not mistaken you can run launchbox via removable storage and or cloud storage, but I havent seen anything about playing a game thats stored on the cloud. If there is a way please do share btw, that would be a great help for me. It would help significantly with storage issues for gpd and other form factor owners.

I also looked into it, being that I got the paid version a while ago. All previously established paid versions will be honored indefinitely, its just new Retrox users that will have to pay more for premium features. I dont think new prices have been established yet either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Possibility to see in launchbox/bigbox the library from Origin, Uplay, GOG and Epic Games like we import from Steam, without the needs to have the game installed. Current GOG functionality need the game to be installed.

Thanks for the excellent work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@Jason Carr What is the Android version for? Its purpose? I mean, the main LB purpose (for me) is to launch games from all different platforms with different emulators in one place (app). And now, I wonder why would I (or others who wanted/voted for it) would need an Android version? I won't be able to run Steam/Windows games on Android, for instance. But will this integrate with other Android emulators? Retroarch etc.? And will I be able to sync it with my desktop version of LB or at least import a playlist into Android (with all data and images etc.)? Thanks for your answer @Jason Carr:) A sync option (with an option what to sync to Android) would definately make me buy the Android version, though. Also, compatibility with other retro emulators on Android. However, I do not know how much work (and time) is that to achieve it?

The only good thing about it (for me, personally) would be the ability to look through my favourite playlists and games when I am not at home. When I travel, for instance. Why? Because I am a PC player, like most people who love good quality games, and I am not a lover of mobile gaming on a touch screen, which I consider to be terrible (touch controllers, very small screen etc), except for games that are especially designed for such gameplay, fun etc.

Is there any discussion on the forums here that would try to  answer those questions? Votes, yes. But why? Well, that's my mind on this.

Maybe no discussion is needed. Just one sensible answer to the question.

Edited by Pixel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2019 at 7:26 PM, D_argo1 said:

What I like about Retrox is the ability to play games stored in the cloud. It would be cool if you can add Retrox compatibility on Launchbox so you can view and exacute games stored from the cloud through launchbox even on windows say via Nox or Bluestacks.

If I am not mistaken you can run launchbox via removable storage and or cloud storage, but I havent seen anything about playing a game thats stored on the cloud. If there is a way please do share btw, that would be a great help for me. It would help significantly with storage issues for gpd and other form factor owners.

I also looked into it, being that I got the paid version a while ago. All previously established paid versions will be honored indefinitely, its just new Retrox users that will have to pay more for premium features. I dont think new prices have been established yet either.

Playing ROMs from the cloud would be on very shaky legal grounds, so unfortunately I don't think we'll ever go in that direction. Also, I was headed that way back when we originally build the LaunchBox Games Database, but I learned that most people were not very interested in a cloud-based solution (which surprised me at the time).

On 8/5/2019 at 1:48 PM, GSaloun said:

Possibility to see in launchbox/bigbox the library from Origin, Uplay, GOG and Epic Games like we import from Steam, without the needs to have the game installed. Current GOG functionality need the game to be installed.

Thanks for the excellent work!

Noted, though I did make an attempt to get these on the poll, and they didn't get much excitement in the live stream. We'll get them in there eventually though.

On 8/12/2019 at 10:48 PM, Pixel said:

@Jason Carr What is the Android version for? Its purpose? I mean, the main LB purpose (for me) is to launch games from all different platforms with different emulators in one place (app). And now, I wonder why would I (or others who wanted/voted for it) would need an Android version? I won't be able to run Steam/Windows games on Android, for instance. But will this integrate with other Android emulators? Retroarch etc.? And will I be able to sync it with my desktop version of LB or at least import a playlist into Android (with all data and images etc.)? Thanks for your answer @Jason Carr:) A sync option (with an option what to sync to Android) would definately make me buy the Android version, though. Also, compatibility with other retro emulators on Android. However, I do not know how much work (and time) is that to achieve it?

The only good thing about it (for me, personally) would be the ability to look through my favourite playlists and games when I am not at home. When I travel, for instance. Why? Because I am a PC player, like most people who love good quality games, and I am not a lover of mobile gaming on a touch screen, which I consider to be terrible (touch controllers, very small screen etc), except for games that are especially designed for such gameplay, fun etc.

Is there any discussion on the forums here that would try to  answer those questions? Votes, yes. But why? Well, that's my mind on this.

Maybe no discussion is needed. Just one sensible answer to the question.

The first Android beta will be out in the next few days; I'm just waiting on Google to approve it, so all these questions will be answered. For the moment, though, forgive me, but I'd rather focus on dev than provide elaborate answers here.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2019 at 7:48 AM, Pixel said:

@Jason Carr What is the Android version for? Its purpose? I mean, the main LB purpose (for me) is to launch games from all different platforms with different emulators in one place (app). And now, I wonder why would I (or others who wanted/voted for it) would need an Android version? I won't be able to run Steam/Windows games on Android, for instance. But will this integrate with other Android emulators? Retroarch etc.? And will I be able to sync it with my desktop version of LB or at least import a playlist into Android (with all data and images etc.)? Thanks for your answer @Jason Carr:) A sync option (with an option what to sync to Android) would definately make me buy the Android version, though. Also, compatibility with other retro emulators on Android. However, I do not know how much work (and time) is that to achieve it?

The only good thing about it (for me, personally) would be the ability to look through my favourite playlists and games when I am not at home. When I travel, for instance. Why? Because I am a PC player, like most people who love good quality games, and I am not a lover of mobile gaming on a touch screen, which I consider to be terrible (touch controllers, very small screen etc), except for games that are especially designed for such gameplay, fun etc.

Is there any discussion on the forums here that would try to  answer those questions? Votes, yes. But why? Well, that's my mind on this.

Maybe no discussion is needed. Just one sensible answer to the question.

Personally I will love being able to fire up Launchbox on my Shield for emulating 16bit consoles and such.

Using my gaming PC for playing Snes really feels like a unnecessary electric eater at times. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i7-7700K CPU

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

16GB Ram

😮 So what you playing at the moment ? 

A Link to the Past 😆

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ALIE said:

i7-7700K CPU

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

16GB Ram

😮 So what you playing at the moment ? 

A Link to the Past 😆

 

But now in 4K 😂🤗

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, ALIE said:

Personally I will love being able to fire up Launchbox on my Shield for emulating 16bit consoles and such.

Using my gaming PC for playing Snes really feels like a unnecessary electric eater at times. 

Very good :) I hope that the sync option will be also included, though. I will not get it without this feature, unfortunately. I would like to be able to sync my data and playlists (with a choice what exactly to sync) etc.

Edited by Pixel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...