Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums
Jason Carr

LaunchBox 2019 New Feature Poll

LaunchBox 2019 New Feature Poll  

1,698 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Round 1 - Choose all features that you would like to prioritize:

    • New Paid Android Version (Select Games on the Desktop, Export to Android)
      539
    • Platform-specific Zoom and Aspect Ratios for LaunchBox
      332
    • Marquee Video Support, Customization Options for Placement and Image Types
      422
    • Add Alternate Names, Game Type, Max Players, Wikipedia Link, and Video Link fields from the LaunchBox Games Database to LaunchBox
      544
    • Integrated Retroarch Netplay Lobby Browser
      458
    • Display Platform/Playlist/Category Information in the LaunchBox Game Details Sidebar when No Game is Selected
      327
    • Add Sort By Options to Big Box (another item in the alphanumeric list)
      433
    • Integrate MAME High Scores and Show Community Scores
      499
    • Disable Certain Controllers (such as Flight Sticks), Multiple Controllers with Different Bindings
      222
    • Bulk Edit Additional Apps
      294
    • Per-Game AutoHotkey Script Support
      329
    • Previous and Next Buttons in LaunchBox Edit Window
      365
    • Automatic Multi-Disc Playlist Creation for Retroarch
      470
    • Backup and Restore Options for Data and Settings
      687
    • Big Box Wall View Overhaul
      451
    • Game Screenshot Grabber
      410
    • Big Box Theme-Specific Settings (Save and Restore Settings for Each Theme)
      474
    • Indicator/Icon for Games with Multiple Versions Available
      594
    • Bulk Edit Platform and Move Media to Proper Folders
      497
    • Option to Reverse Sort Order in LaunchBox
      217
  2. 2. Round 2 - Choose all features that you would like to prioritize:

    • Amiga WHD Name Conversion (Like MAME)
      325
    • Icons for Types of Controls (Keyboard/Mouse, PS4/Xbox Controller, Wiimote, Nunchuk, etc.)
      746
    • API importer for GOG
      387
    • Option to Force Update Games Database Metadata
      446
    • Option to Manually Check for Updates
      524
    • Retro Achievements Gamer Score, Profile, and Leaderboards
      567
    • Proper Support for Year-Only Release Dates
      250
    • Auditing Overhaul - Add Missing Fields and Allow Full-Library Audits
      434
    • Parsec Integration
      173
    • Allow Launch With for Additional Apps/Versions
      282
    • Media Cleanup Overhaul - Review/Change Items, Move to Folder or Delete
      525
    • Xbox Controller and PS4 Controller Home Button Support
      1062
    • New Document Fields for Hintbooks, Cheats, and Maps
      417
    • Video Clip Grabber for Missing Videos
      608
    • Steam Achievements in Details like Retro Achievements
      422
    • Visual icon/indicator for Broken Games
      535
    • Filter to Games with Missing Media
      590
    • Proper Support for MAME Software Lists
      392
    • Big Box Parental Restrictions (Use Pin Code to Hide Games with Certain Ratings)
      251
    • Option to Name Media via ROM File Name instead of Game Title (where possible, won't work for non-ROM-based platforms)
      235


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Proper Support for Year-Only Release Dates

There are thousands of games from the 90s and 80s out there with uncertain release date. Nobody knows for sure when exactly they were released, except the year. Forcing Launchbox to use a random date isn't useful at all and it doesn't look nice. The better way is to implement an option to switch from a DD/MM/YYYY format to a "Year only" format.

Edited by Khaar
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great stream the other day @Jason Carr I feel dumb for leaving the exact moment the feature I most want to see was up Multiple Save Stats for the pause menu..

But oh well maybe some other time unless it's randomly done 😉.  But still lots to be excited about Nvidia Shield plus Launchbox does sound great. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of all of the options I voted for, the RetroAchievements option is my "most wanted" vote.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really want better support for sorting by genre or sorting by game franchise as opposed to by platform.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ETA Prime put out a video a few days ago, $40 PrePaid Android Phone For Emulation - Better than The BittBoy & LDK Game at

 

It got me really excited about the possibility to make a cheap handheld game system.  I ended up going out and buying the same phone.  I found there are a handful of front ends available for android, but only one seemed to be comparable to an android equivalent of bigbox which was the retrox that ETA reviewed here: 

 

Again this looked like a great option, until reading through the notes and finding that the developer of that particular software decided to drop support of lifetime licenses shortly after the video came out.  Tons of angry comments in that video along with the devs forums.  ETA Prime also mentioned after the changes that he wasn't sure if that product was any longer a viable solution for him with the cost changes.

 

It would be great to have a launchbox / bigbox android version as a better alternative.  A lot of users like myself are very happy to pay a larger amount up front for a lifetime license and not have to pay a yearly and an always online connection for it to work.   I chose not to use retrox because of that.  I am looking at Arc browser as a one time payment commercial option to have a decent front end until something comes along that is better, but it is definitely no Bigbox!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

on the stream i only asked for one thing and i`m pretty pleased to see its doing fairly well in the poll.i really do miss the little video`s in the info pane when there`s no available snaps in the DB that we can use.

 

 

just saw the "1-bit wonder" title to the left and am tempted to never post again.

Edited by Stickyuk
  • Like 1
  • The Cake is a Lie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

so as far as an android version. Im a thousand percent down with that. currently i use DIG for a frontend and mostly retroarch for older systems. hooked to a 8bitdo snes pro with a phone clip attached to a galaxy s10. it does the job, but it would be so awesome if there was an android version of launchbox and/or bigbox. especially if theyre integrated somehow. particularly with a theme feature. those Mr retrolust launchbox and bigbox themes look amazing.

another thing ive been hoping for is something like steam link. something that basically remote accesses your computer and just streams bigbox to your phone using the bluetooth controller to control everything. but im assuming that would be really hard to pull off. ive actually tried it using steam link and just bypassing their UI and opening big box but its super clunky. not to mention if i open something that isnt through steam it doesnt read the controller properly.

Edited by PlagueDox
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Screenshots. Lots of homebrew games (esp in 8bit micros) that will never be hosted in any media library...except...an easy way to grab a screenhot that Launchbox and its database can process

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not gonna lie, I'm extremely pleased to see "Xbox Controller and PS4 Controller Home Button Support" at first place with quite a lead!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PlagueDox said:

another thing ive been hoping for is something like steam link. something that basically remote accesses your computer and just streams bigbox to your phone using the bluetooth controller to control everything. but im assuming that would be really hard to pull off. ive actually tried it using steam link and just bypassing their UI and opening big box but its super clunky. not to mention if i open something that isnt through steam it doesnt read the controller properly.

You should look into Parsec. It's a remote desktop that allows you to access your computer from another computer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2019 at 9:08 PM, quaigoner said:

Is there any possibility on making Conroller configuration for emulators? Maybe first for RetroArch and others emulators will be covered by community by plugins?

I don't see that as something we're likely to tackle, unfortunately. Every emulator configuration is completely different, and I can just see it being a horrible mess, even just for Retroarch.

On 7/12/2019 at 9:10 PM, CodaBroda said:

Hopefully trackball support in 2020, that would be a nice little addition for cabs. Regret not giving it a +1 during the stream.

That is something I'd like to see as well. I might just add that in at some point because I'd like it for my own cab.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Alucard205 said:

You should look into Parsec. It's a remote desktop that allows you to access your computer from another computer.

good call my friend. works pretty well

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, greengeek said:

ETA Prime put out a video a few days ago, $40 PrePaid Android Phone For Emulation - Better than The BittBoy & LDK Game at

 

It got me really excited about the possibility to make a cheap handheld game system.  I ended up going out and buying the same phone.  I found there are a handful of front ends available for android, but only one seemed to be comparable to an android equivalent of bigbox which was the retrox that ETA reviewed here: 

 

Again this looked like a great option, until reading through the notes and finding that the developer of that particular software decided to drop support of lifetime licenses shortly after the video came out.  Tons of angry comments in that video along with the devs forums.  ETA Prime also mentioned after the changes that he wasn't sure if that product was any longer a viable solution for him with the cost changes.

 

It would be great to have a launchbox / bigbox android version as a better alternative.  A lot of users like myself are very happy to pay a larger amount up front for a lifetime license and not have to pay a yearly and an always online connection for it to work.   I chose not to use retrox because of that.  I am looking at Arc browser as a one time payment commercial option to have a decent front end until something comes along that is better, but it is definitely no Bigbox!

All very interesting. I can say for certain that the Android version would be a single "forever license" purchase, and it would certainly be cheaper than $12 as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, PlagueDox said:

good call my friend. works pretty well

 

Not a problem! As for the steam link issue, ETA Prime made a video a while ago about getting it to work with Big Box. In short, you have to add big box as a game on steam and run it through that. Otherwise, its gonna mess with the controls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2019 at 6:06 PM, g0d53nd said:

Looks like the xbox/ps4 special button getting a lot of love! can’t wait

Honestly, this is the only "gamechanger" feature on the list.  I voted for a few other things it would be nice to have as well, but actually being able to use the home button on my controllers instead of a button combo to bring up menus would be HUGE.  So glad it's a frontrunner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Home button support to bring up the pause menu would be killer. I dislike hitting start+select to do it currently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was working on a fan android app, but if an official one does come, mine will be made unnecessary..I'm happy about that =D I wanted one anyway, I don't care who makes it, I'm happy I was able to make the cogs start spinning in that direction! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...