LaunchBox Community Forums

Posted (edited)

Pandora Theme (RetroPie Forum)

Plaftform view:
- Feature Request (BigBox implementation): Get the not selected logos to curve around the world
Game view:
- Feature Request (BigBox implementation): The selected game text does not automatically scroll horizontally if cut off by ... this also counts for every other listbox such as in menus
- Feature Request (BigBox implementation): Also the A-Z search skips around letters when scrolling
Options view:
- Broken (BigBox implementation): Error appearing in Options listbox
- Feature Request (BigBox Implementation): The additional Options cannot be centered like the other listboxes and the selected text does not automatically scroll horizontally if cut off by ...
Menu view:
- Broken (BigBox implementation): The BigBox version does not go centered without margins, maybe I am missing something

Edited by wallmachine

Awesome theme, I really hope @Jason Carr can help you out with getting your requests implemented for you. Hopefully before the new poll items 😀

So currently how are you changing to the next theme colour?

• Game On 1

Hi @wallmachine, sorry for the delays in getting back to your latest PM. I'll start working through some of these remaining issues next week.

One question though, I noticed in the RetroPie theme link that you were asked to only modify the theme for personal use and not to share any modified versions of the theme. Am I missing something there?

14 minutes ago, Rincewind said:

So currently how are you changing to the next theme colour?

Changing the image source in 5 .XAML files.

1 minute ago, Jason Carr said:

Hi @wallmachine, sorry for the delays in getting back to your latest PM. I'll start working through some of these remaining issues next week.

One question though, I noticed in the RetroPie theme link that you were asked to only modify the theme for personal use and not to share any modified versions of the theme. Am I missing something there?

Since the theme developer on RetroPie doesn't share the PSD or AI files I had to get it all recreated and added my own touches as well. Just on that I have seen this theme developed in first AttractMode and older versions over RetroPie and some other frontends it isn't one of a kind.

Just now, wallmachine said:

Since the theme developer on RetroPie doesn't share the PSD or AI files I had to get it all recreated and added my own touches as well. Just on that I have seen this theme developed in first AttractMode and older versions over RetroPie and some other frontends it isn't one of a kind.

To be honest, if the creator has asked that no modifications of the theme be shared, then unfortunately we can't distribute the theme here on the forums, as that's blatantly disrespecting the creator's wishes. I don't really care if it's being done elsewhere, but I don't want to rip anybody off.

• Like 2

I thought that the author over at RetroPie recreated a theme from the Pandora Box so surely if you were to recreate it yourself without using any of his or her images then it would be totally unique to that person and therefore usable.

11 minutes ago, Rincewind said:

I thought that the author over at RetroPie recreated a theme from the Pandora Box so surely if you were to recreate it yourself without using any of his or her images then it would be totally unique to that person and therefore usable.

The author created a new theme based on the look and feel/idea of the original Pandora's Box theme, but it was recreated completely from scratch. Unfortunately wallmachine is using images directly from the Pandora theme. Even though he's doing some work in Photoshop, if you compare them it's obvious that he's using at least some of the same images. Maybe we can try again to get actual permission from the author?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I contacted him a few hours after his release on the Retropie forums and he did NOT want me using his assets, which honestly it's pretty obvious that they have been used. I know there is no PSD file, but on the Git there is all the png files already laid out for 16:9. 

Anyways, for this reason I immediately abandoned porting this to BB to honor his wishes. 

I'm not trying to accuse anyone or knock anyone's work, I just see too many similarities to the original authors artwork. 

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing this @Grila. Unfortunately, it's pretty obvious that we can't distribute this theme on the forums, and we probably shouldn't advertise for it either.

Well the original author did say you could use it for your own use, so I really hope @wallmachine and @Jason Carr still continue to iron out the last few remaining issues which will help future themes too I'm sure. And maybe one day the original author might allow the release with credits to his hard word. So let's hope that in the name of creativity and retro gaming alike we can all one day get to enjoy this, if not at least we got to see the YouTube video of it Haha!!

Posted (edited)
On 7/13/2019 at 12:42 AM, Jason Carr said:

To be honest, if the creator has asked that no modifications of the theme be shared, then unfortunately we can't distribute the theme here on the forums, as that's blatantly disrespecting the creator's wishes. I don't really care if it's being done elsewhere, but I don't want to rip anybody off.

Hello,  I'm the original author of the theme and just found this topic completely by accident.  I've joined the forum specifically to thank you @Jason Carr for respecting my wishes here, I do appreciate it.

I can say without a shadow of a doubt from watching the video that @wallmachine has simply taken all of the images directly from my theme (they are full 1080p png image backgrounds so not difficult) and any editing is minimal and seems to be limited to a few simple animations (I actually created an animated joystick and buttons myself but EmulatioStation sadly doesn't support animations yet).

@wallmachine did ask for permission from me and was pointed to my license agreement which he obviously chose to ignore.

While I'm clear in the theme readme and in the original post that the theme is based on the look of the Pandora system it isn't a direct copy and I created every single image entirely from scratch which took a considerable amount of time and effort.   It is true there are other themes based on the various Pandora systems but they tend to mostly be more direct copies using the actual low res assets from that system itself.

EDIT: Edited as It was pointed out that the theme hasn't actually been shared.

Edited by ruckage
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ruckage said:

Hello,  I'm the original author of the theme and just found this topic completely by accident.  I've joined the forum specifically to thank you @Jason Carr for respecting my wishes here, I do appreciate it.

I can say without a shadow of a doubt from watching the video that @wallmachine has simply taken all of the images directly from my theme (they are full 1080p png image backgrounds so not difficult) and any editing is minimal and seems to be limited to a few simple animations (I actually created an animated joystick and buttons myself but EmulatioStation sadly doesn't support animations yet).

@wallmachine did ask for permission from me and was pointed to my license agreement which he obviously chose to ignore.

While I'm clear in the theme readme and in the original post that the theme is based on the look of the Pandora system it isn't a direct copy and I created every single image entirely from scratch which took a considerable amount of time and effort.   It is true there are other themes based on the various Pandora systems but they tend to mostly be more direct copies using the actual low res assets from that system itself.

@ruckage Thanks for taking the time to register and to comment here. Those are our feelings as well, it just looks way to much like your work, which you specifically said that wallmachine could edit but not share with others, for our liking here. While of course we would like as many Bigbox themes as possible, and your theme does indeed look great, there is no way we would host it here after discovering that you had already forbid wallmachine from sharing it.

Thanks for clarifying the issue.

• Like 1

Just too add so that @wallmachine is not miss represented here @ruckage he has not shared this theme with the community at all, so he has not ignored your request. And your work has remained as you requested. Hopefully one day you could create a theme over here, that would be great 😀 Thanks again

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Rincewind said:

Just too add so that @wallmachine is not miss represented here @ruckage he has not shared this theme with the community at all, so he has not ignored your request. And your work has remained as you requested. Hopefully one day you could create a theme over here, that would be great 😀 Thanks again

Thanks for the reply and for clearing that up.  Obviously I'm quite happy for people to modify/adapt my theme for personal use, as long as it isn't shared I have no issues.

Perhaps I'll give Launchbox theme creation a try and port it myself sometime, it's always fun to try something new.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, ruckage said:

Thanks for the reply and for clearing that up.  Obviously I'm quite happy for people to modify/adapt my theme for personal use, as long as it isn't shared I have no issues.

Perhaps I'll give Launchbox theme creation a try and port it myself sometime, it's always fun to try something new.

We'll definitely look forward to that day! Thank you @ruckage. If you'd like, let me know and I'll send you a license to Big Box.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ruckage said:

I am quite sure you would find many new fans of your work if you did ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/14/2019 at 5:48 PM, Jason Carr said:

We'll definitely look forward to that day! Thank you @ruckage. If you'd like, let me know and I'll send you a license to Big Box.

Thank you that's very kind of you, I'll take you up on that offer 😀.  I can't make any promises regarding when I'll make a theme as I'm busy working on making a bartop arcade at the moment but I'll definitely give it a go.

• Like 1