LaunchBox Community Forums

Can Commodore Amiga work in Retroarch..?

Dhenny42

• 1 month later...
On 7/19/2019 at 1:00 AM, Lordmonkus said:

Amiga through Retroarch is a major pain to setup. WinUAE is better but still a hassle, I would suggest FS-UAE, it still has some setup but is much more intuitive than WinUAE and pretty close in terms of accuracy.

I currently use FS-UAE as well, but the recent changes to the PUAE Retroarch core might make it much easier.

https://www.libretro.com/index.php/core-news-puae-amiga-emulator-and-vice-commodore-64/

1 hour ago, Lordmonkus said:

I gave this a try last night and while it is easier than before it still is isn't as good as it needs to be to replace FS-UAE or even WinUAE.

Would you conclude the same if it's strictly for games? (no OSes, or applications)

Edited by Headrush69

Yes.

The Retroarch version of UAE simply doesn't have the configuration levels required to set up what is necessary. I got it to load a couple of ADF files easily but when it came to the WHDLoad games I constantly got the following error.Agony_v1.3_0960-190825-181741.thumb.png.4f861e3d73a1e358cf0d5a9e93ec96a8.png

As far as I could tell (and I looked) there was no setting in the core options for memory.

Even the PS Vita Amiga emulator has more options to tweak for games and is far easier to use.

I found the WHDLoads I tried had to be built into HDF format and seems to work now. (limited testing)

Found a script on Retropie forums that is suppose to automate the process, but haven't got it working on Windows or OSX yet.

Just curious, what WHDLoad was that above you were trying?

On 8/25/2019 at 6:56 PM, Lordmonkus said:

For me FS-UAE still wins hands down.

No argument there.

I just like testing all the alternatives.

Edit: Update December 2022 - I have switched to using Retroarch PUAE core for all Amiga gaming. The core has seen some excellent improvements and for my cabinet and game playing it fills the bill nicely. If I want to boot into Workbench I still use FS-UAE.

Edited by Headrush69
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hi all :)

Just wondering if anyone knows if Amiga has gotten better in RA now?
I currently got a set working with WinUAE already set up in LB, but would rather have everything set up within RA if possible (I recently swapped my C64 games over to it and it works like a dream!). Just finding it almost impossible to find any good tutorials or anything about how to do it, which is very odd. Some fiddling around I was able to boot the kickstart, but both HDF and WHD games don't seem to load for me.

So yeah, wondering if anyone has it up and working inside RA now? and if they know of a good guide online?

Cheers!

27 minutes ago, polygonslayer said:

Hi all :)

Just wondering if anyone knows if Amiga has gotten better in RA now?
I currently got a set working with WinUAE already set up in LB, but would rather have everything set up within RA if possible (I recently swapped my C64 games over to it and it works like a dream!). Just finding it almost impossible to find any good tutorials or anything about how to do it, which is very odd. Some fiddling around I was able to boot the kickstart, but both HDF and WHD games don't seem to load for me.

So yeah, wondering if anyone has it up and working inside RA now? and if they know of a good guide online?

Cheers!

There have been quite a few improvements in the RA core P-UAE. It seems to load all my WHDLoad files now once you follow the readme on Github. I would say give it a try and see if it is good enough for you. I personally have switched over to RA now for Amiga games.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dragon57 said:

There have been quite a few improvements in the RA core P-UAE. It seems to load all my WHDLoad files now once you follow the readme on Github. I would say give it a try and see if it is good enough for you. I personally have switched over to RA now for Amiga games.

Oh, I did not see the readme on there. I checked the libretro documentation, but couldn't find anything there.
Sweet, I will check that out :) Good to hear it has improved!
Cheers

Hi, so I think I've followed the readme/guide correctly, but to be honest it is quite confusing with sections crossed out and things not being very clear.
So currently I can load ADF files no problem, but when I try to load HDF files (from the Internet Archive set) I get the black screen with red flashing "software failure" screen.
Any chance you can share the settings you got and how you managed to get it to work?
1943_v1.2-200415-212609.thumb.png.cb113a7fd330684ae1da42c62c0eef2b.png

Cheers

EDIT: Also tested the WHD set I got working in Win-UAE and same error.
btw, tested Amiga CD32 games and they run fine.
I got a feeling I must be missing one step somewhere :/

Edited by polygonslayer

23 minutes ago, polygonslayer said:

Hi, so I think I've followed the readme/guide correctly, but to be honest it is quite confusing with sections crossed out and things not being very clear.
So currently I can load ADF files no problem, but when I try to load HDF files (from the Internet Archive set) I get the black screen with red flashing "software failure" screen.
Any chance you can share the settings you got and how you managed to get it to work?
1943_v1.2-200415-212609.thumb.png.cb113a7fd330684ae1da42c62c0eef2b.png

Cheers

EDIT: Also tested the WHD set I got working in Win-UAE and same error.
btw, tested Amiga CD32 games and they run fine.
I got a feeling I must be missing one step somewhere :/

HI

Do you have the correct bioeses?

Do you have a hdf file in your system dir?

Just now, orac31 said:

HI

Do you have the correct bioeses?

Do you have a hdf file in your system dir?

Yep, checked the MD5 checksum to match what it states and tried both with the HDF file in the system and without. The guide/readme seems to now state you don't need to have it anymore and that it creates it automatically into your saves folder, which it seems to have done for me. Got both WHDLoad.hdf and WHDSaves.hdf in the Saves directory now.