LaunchBox Community Forums
RandyMackDaddy

Turbografx emulator

i have a roms set of turbografx games. although launchbox importer isn't seeing them. I tried mednafen and Ootake. I added both emulators. typed in PC Engine SuperGrafx as the assoiated (but I also see NEC TurboGrafx-16) platform and have the roms zipped (and unzipped .pce) in a folder.  so is it the importer or the emulators causing the problem?

So the games just are not running or not importing? If not running do they run outside of LB? What name did you import the games in under? 

Whatever name that is, that is the one you place in the associated platform tab. It must match exactly. You can just yps in that box. You do nit have to use the drop down lists.  

3 hours ago, RandyMackDaddy said:

i have a roms set of turbografx games. although launchbox importer isn't seeing them. I tried mednafen and Ootake. I added both emulators. typed in PC Engine SuperGrafx as the assoiated (but I also see NEC TurboGrafx-16) platform and have the roms zipped (and unzipped .pce) in a folder.  so is it the importer or the emulators causing the problem?

Launchbox doesnt care what the file type is, it will import any files you tell it to. So are you saying it wont import your games at all, or that they do import but dont work in the emulator? Also you say you have TurboGrafx-16 games but you say you named the platform PC Engine SuperGrafx, those are completely different systems and use different emulators.

Thanks for the info.  Progress has been made. I am using mednafan to emulate. I have imported the roms to LB. I chose the NEC TurboGrafx-16 as the default.  They start up when selected but are in small screen.  When i open mednafen to configure i get this error message

20190811_131325.jpg

20190811_131402.jpg

Mednafen doesn't have a GUI, you have to either download a 3rd party GUI to configure it or edit the config file in notepad.

9 minutes ago, RandyMackDaddy said:

Should i find a GUI or go with another emulator?  Just looking for simplicity here.  Can mame run turbo roms? 

I would just use the retroarch core.

image.thumb.png.9ed4bb5c127ce7d47b1f629977b46f00.png

45 minutes ago, RandyMackDaddy said:

Should i find a GUI or go with another emulator?  Just looking for simplicity here.

I would just use Retroarch but I do use Mednafen from time to time and I just configure the config file using notepad but really there isn't much you need to do in the config file. All the controller binding is done from within Mednafen, with a game running pressing Alt + Shift + 1 (for player 1) will start a button binding process, substitute the 1 with a 2 for player 2. The only thing I actually configure in the config file is the CRT shader.

Another choice is BiZHawk, it has very good emulator cores and an easy to use GUI.

If you do need to go into the config file and make changes everything is documented extremely well in their documentation.

Although that controller config process...WTF? there's 2 buttons on the joystick.  What are the other 9 they are mapping? ( gamepad1: IV,V,VI, III ETC.) 

Maybe there is one in the emulator, if there is then you should be able to use that as a toggle from 2 to 6 button mode.

One of the reasons I love mednafen is the on-screen control mapping, and the fact that it recognizes my SNES usb adapters (retroarch doesn't).  I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a mode button to map when I was doing those controls, so yeah that should toggle between those two controllers.