Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums
dbalcar

10.2 beta - Backup stuck running

Recommended Posts

on beta 10.2-7  after clicking on the backup function it appears that LB is trying to backup the whole drive to itself.  if you hit cancel it hangs. restarting LB just starts the process over.  Is there a way in a config file to stop the backup process?  What should it be backing up?

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dbalcar said:

on beta 10.2-7  after clicking on the backup function it appears that LB is trying to backup the whole drive to itself.  if you hit cancel it hangs. restarting LB just starts the process over.  Is there a way in a config file to stop the backup process?  What should it be backing up?

 

Thanks

What do you mean by this @dbalcar? Backing up the whole drive to itself? Obviously it should not be backing up the whole drive, only the LaunchBox\Data folder. Are you manually running the backup process or are you talking about the automatic backup?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @Jason Carr it's the Create Data Backup under tools.   I can see in procmon that the 7zip under the LB dir is running and reading all files from the drive and trying put them into a zip file.   I can see all the reads and creates of the files.  The hd is at 100% till I kill the processes.  I did hit cancel after it started but it never stopped and just hung up the LB process.  Every time I restart LB it starts 7zip again and starts touching the whole drive.  So I renamed 7zip and then it would not kick off.

Thanks

LB backup.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dbalcar said:

Hi @Jason Carr it's the Create Data Backup under tools.   I can see in procmon that the 7zip under the LB dir is running and reading all files from the drive and trying put them into a zip file.   I can see all the reads and creates of the files.  The hd is at 100% till I kill the processes.  I did hit cancel after it started but it never stopped and just hung up the LB process.  Every time I restart LB it starts 7zip again and starts touching the whole drive.  So I renamed 7zip and then it would not kick off.

Thanks

LB backup.PNG

Thats really strange, i just tested a manual backup here it only took less than five seconds and i was left with a 7MB or so file in the Backups folder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/28/2019 at 12:23 AM, dbalcar said:

Hi @Jason Carr it's the Create Data Backup under tools.   I can see in procmon that the 7zip under the LB dir is running and reading all files from the drive and trying put them into a zip file.   I can see all the reads and creates of the files.  The hd is at 100% till I kill the processes.  I did hit cancel after it started but it never stopped and just hung up the LB process.  Every time I restart LB it starts 7zip again and starts touching the whole drive.  So I renamed 7zip and then it would not kick off.

Thanks

LB backup.PNG

That's pretty strange. The 7-zip backup process is hardcoded to only back up things inside the LaunchBox\Data folder. I have no idea why any other part of the hard drive would be affected. We have to be missing something here somehow.

That backup process is running for everyone who's downloaded the betas, which is a lot of people, and I haven't seen this elsewhere, so I guess we need to figure out what on earth could be unique about your setup that could be causing this issue.

What folder is your LaunchBox installed to? How big is your LaunchBox\Data folder?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finally figured this out, unfortunately shortly after I put out the 10.2 release. It was an issue if you had a space in your LaunchBox folder path. I put out 10.3 to address the issue.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention @dbalcar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Jason,  I will update again and try again.   Is there a way to make sure the backup job will not auto start when I launch LB?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, dbalcar said:

Thanks Jason,  I will update again and try again.   Is there a way to make sure the backup job will not auto start when I launch LB?

Yes, you can turn it off in the Options screen under Backups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jason Carr I updated to 10.3 and it's working now.  Thanks for the fix.  I did notice that if the 7z.exe is not there then LB will not start and there is no debug log written. FYI.  This is in 10.2-7 and 10.3 as well.

Thanks for the help

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, dbalcar said:

@Jason Carr I updated to 10.3 and it's working now.  Thanks for the fix.  I did notice that if the 7z.exe is not there then LB will not start and there is no debug log written. FYI.  This is in 10.2-7 and 10.3 as well.

Thanks for the help

Yes, that is expected. LaunchBox can't run without the necessary libraries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...