Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, mcfilmmakers said:

Before I jump into this full throttle, I wanted to know what the best way to go about this is (if it is even possible):

I want two views: 1 for platform and 1 for games. Both views are going to contain the same thing so I'm mentioning this in case the answer is different for both.

The view is to contain an image based on the following:

1) custom field value

2) if there is no value for the custom field, then the image will be based on the selected game title (if this is platform view, obviously there is no result so we go to the next check)

3) if no image for the selected game's playlist exists, then it will be based on the selected game's platform.

4) if no image for the selected game's platform exists, then it will use the default image.

Example:

Game named Airwolf in the Commodore 64 platform has custom field image with value of fancyBG, The theme would use fancyBG.png (...\Media\Backgrounds\fancyBG.png)
Game named Airwolf in the Commodore 64 platform with no custom field value. The theme would use Airwolf.png (...\Media\Backgrounds\Commodore 64\Airwolf.png)
Game named Airwolf in the Commodore 64 platform with no game image. The theme would use Commodore 64.png (...\Media\Backgrounds\Commodore 64.png)
Game named Airwolf in the Commodore 64 platform with no game or platform image. The theme would use Default.png (...\Media\Backgrounds\Default.png)

so the obvious question is how can I do this with the theme creator? My guess is it isn't possible right now. So if it isn't, to what degree of what I want to do is possible? and how do i set up the image to do so? I'm cognizant of the fallback image, which naturally I would set to Default.png but from there I'm a little lost.

all of that will be available in version 1.0.8.0. my latest video covers custom field values, I'm now working on visibility conditioning which will satisfy 2, 3 and 4

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2020 at 6:19 PM, y2guru said:

Only the first system options panel is available to modify, I have no plans to offer lower level option views

Hey @y2guru, I love this theme creator. Very cool. Do you have any suggestions for someone building a vertical theme to adjust the resolution/character sizes for the lower level options? Currently all the lower level options are too large to fit across my screen. My theme is 1080x1920. I don't really care to edit the look of those options since they are more "under the hood" type of things, but being able to see the whole description of each option would be most helpful. Maybe there is something already built into BigBox I'm overlooking? (sorry I don't have a screenshot since I'm at work)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, JaysArcade said:

Hey @y2guru, I love this theme creator. Very cool. Do you have any suggestions for someone building a vertical theme to adjust the resolution/character sizes for the lower level options? Currently all the lower level options are too large to fit across my screen. My theme is 1080x1920. I don't really care to edit the look of those options since they are more "under the hood" type of things, but being able to see the whole description of each option would be most helpful. Maybe there is something already built into BigBox I'm overlooking? (sorry I don't have a screenshot since I'm at work)

I have no plans to adjust the views for lower level options.  Have you tried increasing the DPI% of your desktop resolution, perhaps set to 150% or 200%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I got that you're not interested in changing that. I was just hoping there was an easy fix that I was overlooking. Do you mean change windows scale settings or is this something in the BigBox back end?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2020 at 2:46 PM, JaysArcade said:

Yeah I got that you're not interested in changing that. I was just hoping there was an easy fix that I was overlooking. Do you mean change windows scale settings or is this something in the BigBox back end?

Yes, change desktop resolution scaling %

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. I tried that, but it seems BigBox scales itself up despite what the windows resolution is set to. I'm running 1080x1920 at 100% Tried different resolutions up to 4K and scaling different resolutions up to 300%, but the options menu stays about the same size. I was able to poach some of the options xaml stuff from Faerans Vertigo theme that will probably suffice for my personal needs, but I don't feel comfortable sharing the theme without his permission. If I ever get to that point, I'll surely ask if I can use it first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm getting a really annoying result when i try to initialize the Community theme creator for Big Box editor.executable, and  i need to be able to just launch this program without any issues popping up.  I enter my username-Author and BigBox path to the launchbox folder location with the exe for BigBox app,then i receive exception of some kind,what can i do please?,help required here!! anyone's input would be greatly needed. Soon, ahhhhh my dear GOD..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Curious, does the theme creator support jpg? My jpg images don't show up in the media dropdown lists but the png images do... that's going to be an issue when a lot of the images downloaded from emumovies by launchbox are in jpg format. I hope i'm overlooking something.

Edited by mcfilmmakers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I may have stumbled on a couple of issues related to rendering custom images: 

  1. If I try to render a custom image (CustomGameImage1) for the same game twice after making a change to the game's view, an exception pops up and the application closes.  I did some testing and you can render the image for the same game over and over again.  But, if you have an override for the game and go and edit the override, and then try to render the image a second time, I get the error when I click the hamburger > render custom images > (and before I can click the option to render the image).  The error is pretty similar to what was happening with the special characters but the steps are different so I'm not sure if this bug is still in 1.0.8.0?  If I delete the custom image from the My Theme Projects > BannerBox Custom Images > Custom Images > Games > Nintendo Entertainment System then I'm able to launch the application and render that image again.  (sometimes finding the right wording for detailed error reproduction steps is tough - if it would help to see this in a video, let me know and I can create one). 
  2. Another issue that I ran into is that I'm doing this on an older laptop with a strange resolution of 1366x768.  I'm creating banners for use with banner box for games that do not have banners.  The BannerBox Custom Images template has an image canvas and background of 384x1080.  When I render the custom image, it the background layer is being cropped at a height of something around 788 pixels.  The resulting image is 1080 pixels in height but the background layer seems to be getting cropped.  I'm not sure if this is an error in my theme or maybe the tool is not meant to be used at this screen resolution?  You can see the properties of the background image in the attached screenshot and I've attached the image that is being referenced in case it's useful.  
  3. This is just a request and I don't know how much effort it would be to implement and wouldn't have any expectation that it would be implemented.  But, if a case like mine is a valid scenario where I'm using a laptop with a smaller screen resolution to generate images and themes for my arcade cabinet which has a much larger screen resolution, would it be possible to have a zoom in/out on the edit view screen(s)?  I've attached one more screen shot of how the edit view window looks on my screen.  It would be amazing if I could zoom out and see the full image and there are also cases where you are trying to be precise and zooming in to get a better look could be useful.  I really have no idea how possible this is and no expectations that it would get done but wanted to throw it out there in case you are getting bored with your backlog haha

Thank you again for this awesome tool.  I really appreciate all the effort you've put into it.   

32242.png

BackgroundProperties.png

Background.png

EditView.png

RenderCustomImageException.txt

Edited by Fry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2020 at 6:46 PM, mcfilmmakers said:

Before I jump into this full throttle, I wanted to know what the best way to go about this is (if it is even possible):

I want two views: 1 for platform and 1 for games. Both views are going to contain the same thing so I'm mentioning this in case the answer is different for both.

The view is to contain an image based on the following:

1) custom field value

2) if there is no value for the custom field, then the image will be based on the selected game title (if this is platform view, obviously there is no result so we go to the next check)

3) if no image for the selected game's playlist exists, then it will be based on the selected game's platform.

4) if no image for the selected game's platform exists, then it will use the default image.

Example:

Game named Airwolf in the Commodore 64 platform has custom field image with value of fancyBG, The theme would use fancyBG.png (...\Media\Backgrounds\fancyBG.png)
Game named Airwolf in the Commodore 64 platform with no custom field value. The theme would use Airwolf.png (...\Media\Backgrounds\Commodore 64\Airwolf.png)
Game named Airwolf in the Commodore 64 platform with no game image. The theme would use Commodore 64.png (...\Media\Backgrounds\Commodore 64.png)
Game named Airwolf in the Commodore 64 platform with no game or platform image. The theme would use Default.png (...\Media\Backgrounds\Default.png)

so the obvious question is how can I do this with the theme creator? My guess is it isn't possible right now. So if it isn't, to what degree of what I want to do is possible? and how do i set up the image to do so? I'm cognizant of the fallback image, which naturally I would set to Default.png but from there I'm a little lost.

I have working version of visibility conditioning now, I’ve done some basic prioritization of images using this new feature but I would like to use your examples.

send me a personal message including your xml files containing custom field values and I will try out your example with my personal build

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2020 at 8:26 PM, Harold.H said:

I'm getting a really annoying result when i try to initialize the Community theme creator for Big Box editor.executable, and  i need to be able to just launch this program without any issues popping up.  I enter my username-Author and BigBox path to the launchbox folder location with the exe for BigBox app,then i receive exception of some kind,what can i do please?,help required here!! anyone's input would be greatly needed. Soon, ahhhhh my dear GOD..

When the exception window pops up, copy all and paste here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2020 at 12:28 AM, Fry said:

I may have stumbled on a couple of issues related to rendering custom images: 

  1. If I try to render a custom image (CustomGameImage1) for the same game twice after making a change to the game's view, an exception pops up and the application closes.  I did some testing and you can render the image for the same game over and over again.  But, if you have an override for the game and go and edit the override, and then try to render the image a second time, I get the error when I click the hamburger > render custom images > (and before I can click the option to render the image).  The error is pretty similar to what was happening with the special characters but the steps are different so I'm not sure if this bug is still in 1.0.8.0?  If I delete the custom image from the My Theme Projects > BannerBox Custom Images > Custom Images > Games > Nintendo Entertainment System then I'm able to launch the application and render that image again.  (sometimes finding the right wording for detailed error reproduction steps is tough - if it would help to see this in a video, let me know and I can create one). 
  2. Another issue that I ran into is that I'm doing this on an older laptop with a strange resolution of 1366x768.  I'm creating banners for use with banner box for games that do not have banners.  The BannerBox Custom Images template has an image canvas and background of 384x1080.  When I render the custom image, it the background layer is being cropped at a height of something around 788 pixels.  The resulting image is 1080 pixels in height but the background layer seems to be getting cropped.  I'm not sure if this is an error in my theme or maybe the tool is not meant to be used at this screen resolution?  You can see the properties of the background image in the attached screenshot and I've attached the image that is being referenced in case it's useful.  
  3. This is just a request and I don't know how much effort it would be to implement and wouldn't have any expectation that it would be implemented.  But, if a case like mine is a valid scenario where I'm using a laptop with a smaller screen resolution to generate images and themes for my arcade cabinet which has a much larger screen resolution, would it be possible to have a zoom in/out on the edit view screen(s)?  I've attached one more screen shot of how the edit view window looks on my screen.  It would be amazing if I could zoom out and see the full image and there are also cases where you are trying to be precise and zooming in to get a better look could be useful.  I really have no idea how possible this is and no expectations that it would get done but wanted to throw it out there in case you are getting bored with your backlog haha

Thank you again for this awesome tool.  I really appreciate all the effort you've put into it.   

32242.png

BackgroundProperties.png

Background.png

EditView.png

RenderCustomImageException.txt 4.74 kB · 0 downloads

For item 1.  Try moving the theme creator directly to the c:\ directory, based on what I saw in the exception message it looks like the path name is too long for saving a rendered file 

 

2. images are being cropped because your resolution height is 768 versus 1080

 

3. I agree, zooming in and out would be cool, I have it on my to-do list

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, y2guru said:

2. images are being cropped because your resolution height is 768 versus 1080

Is it possible to not crop the images to the resolution of the machine that is generating the image? My arcade cab is 1440p but my laptop is that funky resolution mentioned before and my other desktop is 1080p.  I'd love to generate 1440p images on a machine other than my arcade pc as it's not that convenient to work from.  I'm not sure if this is even possible but wanted to check.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fry said:

Is it possible to not crop the images to the resolution of the machine that is generating the image? My arcade cab is 1440p but my laptop is that funky resolution mentioned before and my other desktop is 1080p.  I'd love to generate 1440p images on a machine other than my arcade pc as it's not that convenient to work from.  I'm not sure if this is even possible but wanted to check.   

I’m not sure how that can be achieved, I’m sorry

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, y2guru said:

I’m not sure how that can be achieved, I’m sorry

 

7 minutes ago, Fry said:

Is it possible to not crop the images to the resolution of the machine that is generating the image? My arcade cab is 1440p but my laptop is that funky resolution mentioned before and my other desktop is 1080p.  I'd love to generate 1440p images on a machine other than my arcade pc as it's not that convenient to work from.  I'm not sure if this is even possible but wanted to check.   

I’m learning what’s possible with WPF programming as I go

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, y2guru said:

I’m not sure how that can be achieved, I’m sorry

I’m learning what’s possible with WPF programming as I go

Totally understandable and no need to be sorry.  This tool is amazing!  I'm also a programmer and have struggled through with WPF a bit, it's definitely not my bread and butter.  I have no idea how this could be done either so I was just reaching!  Also this tool is really awesome and there are so many cool features you can be working on for it so I don't anticipate this is going to get top priority from you by any means.  If you're interested in open-sourcing this project, I could pull it down and take a look at this.  Totally understand if you're not ready or planning to open source but figured I'd throw that out there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fry said:

Totally understandable and no need to be sorry.  This tool is amazing!  I'm also a programmer and have struggled through with WPF a bit, it's definitely not my bread and butter.  I have no idea how this could be done either so I was just reaching!  Also this tool is really awesome and there are so many cool features you can be working on for it so I don't anticipate this is going to get top priority from you by any means.  If you're interested in open-sourcing this project, I could pull it down and take a look at this.  Totally understand if you're not ready or planning to open source but figured I'd throw that out there.  

And air my dirty laundry! Lol.  I’m not planning on open sourcing it just yet, let me get the remaining features in first and circle back to the to-do items and then I’ll think about open sourcing it

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, y2guru said:

And air my dirty laundry! Lol.  I’m not planning on open sourcing it just yet, let me get the remaining features in first and circle back to the to-do items and then I’ll think about open sourcing it

I love it, thank you as always for the epic effort

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 minutes ago, Fry said:

I love it, thank you as always for the epic effort

Have you tried connecting your laptop to a monitor to boost the resolution height to 1080?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2020 at 2:19 PM, JaysArcade said:

Hey @y2guru, I love this theme creator. Very cool. Do you have any suggestions for someone building a vertical theme to adjust the resolution/character sizes for the lower level options? Currently all the lower level options are too large to fit across my screen. My theme is 1080x1920. I don't really care to edit the look of those options since they are more "under the hood" type of things, but being able to see the whole description of each option would be most helpful. Maybe there is something already built into BigBox I'm overlooking? (sorry I don't have a screenshot since I'm at work)

After taking a peek at the other assets, I’ll try to theme the remaining menus

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...