Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums
HeavensCloud

Sega Dreamcast using retroarch flycast core attempts to load .bin vs .gdi files

Recommended Posts

Hello all. I've been working on this issue for a bit without success and finally had a breakthrough. My initial problem:

Sega Dreamcast games would load when i use retroarch but would not load when using LaunchBox.

I had searched forums/google and checked the usual culprits....

  • I had bios in the correct location
  • My Emulator Name and Emulator Application Path were correct (and working for other cores).1588766182_2019-10-1111_06_04-LaunchBox.thumb.png.f114312516eef7cd4bf72fde78c2bd2c.png
  • My platform is called "Sega Dreamcast" in LaunchBox as well as the associated platform tab665914454_2019-10-1111_06_34-EditEmulator.thumb.png.643d09ac822f94e0b3e3de3d44d3af75.png
  • I also looked into my drivers of my graphics card.

No matter what i tried i couldn't launch any of my Dreamcast games by double clicking, or by right clicking and selecting either 'Play' ( or 'Launch With - Retroarch - Flycastlibretro...'). Then i noticed that i was presented with multiple "Play " options when i right click on the game. This lead me to notice that LaunchBox was trying to launch the first .bin file for each game rather than the .gdi file. 427870062_2019-10-1111_06_58-LaunchBox.thumb.png.0170751fc46aca1a5b15e1446992cf5d.png723102960_2019-10-1111_07_11-EditGame.thumb.png.5cf4558912ca8038132c88839a67b50d.pngWhen I go into edit the game and look at the ROM File all of my dreamcast games are assigned to the .bin file of the first track of the first disc. This seems like it should work but it just won't launch. When i change it to the .gdi file (or i right click on the game from the UI and select "Play (USA) (Disc 1) Version..." the game launches and plays great. I have a few questions about this:

  1. Is there a way, when importing my games, to have launchBox launch the .gdi files instead of the .bin? As it stands now i have to manually edit each game to do this. 
  2. Is there a reason that I should use the .bin over the .gdi? If so, how do i get it to launch?

When i look at other systems with multidisc games they seem to have proper auto setups to launch correctly. Also, when I look at the playlist files for retroarch i see that its defaulting to the .gdi file as the path item. This leads me to believe its the correct file to launch by default. However, i'm unable to see anyway to force LaunchBox to make this association and would appreciate any help!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HeavensCloud said:

Hello all. I've been working on this issue for a bit without success and finally had a breakthrough. My initial problem:

Sega Dreamcast games would load when i use retroarch but would not load when using LaunchBox.

I had searched forums/google and checked the usual culprits....

  • I had bios in the correct location
  • My Emulator Name and Emulator Application Path were correct (and working for other cores).1588766182_2019-10-1111_06_04-LaunchBox.thumb.png.f114312516eef7cd4bf72fde78c2bd2c.png
  • My platform is called "Sega Dreamcast" in LaunchBox as well as the associated platform tab665914454_2019-10-1111_06_34-EditEmulator.thumb.png.643d09ac822f94e0b3e3de3d44d3af75.png
  • I also looked into my drivers of my graphics card.

No matter what i tried i couldn't launch any of my Dreamcast games by double clicking, or by right clicking and selecting either 'Play' ( or 'Launch With - Retroarch - Flycastlibretro...'). Then i noticed that i was presented with multiple "Play " options when i right click on the game. This lead me to notice that LaunchBox was trying to launch the first .bin file for each game rather than the .gdi file. 427870062_2019-10-1111_06_58-LaunchBox.thumb.png.0170751fc46aca1a5b15e1446992cf5d.png723102960_2019-10-1111_07_11-EditGame.thumb.png.5cf4558912ca8038132c88839a67b50d.pngWhen I go into edit the game and look at the ROM File all of my dreamcast games are assigned to the .bin file of the first track of the first disc. This seems like it should work but it just won't launch. When i change it to the .gdi file (or i right click on the game from the UI and select "Play (USA) (Disc 1) Version..." the game launches and plays great. I have a few questions about this:

  1. Is there a way, when importing my games, to have launchBox launch the .gdi files instead of the .bin? As it stands now i have to manually edit each game to do this. 
  2. Is there a reason that I should use the .bin over the .gdi? If so, how do i get it to launch?

When i look at other systems with multidisc games they seem to have proper auto setups to launch correctly. Also, when I look at the playlist files for retroarch i see that its defaulting to the .gdi file as the path item. This leads me to believe its the correct file to launch by default. However, i'm unable to see anyway to force LaunchBox to make this association and would appreciate any help!

 

With disc based systems you only import the .cue/.gdi files, that's all Launchbox needs to launch them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, neil9000 said:

With disc based systems you only import the .cue/.gdi files, that's all Launchbox needs to launch them.

I believe all the dreamcast games i have come with multiple file types. Is the expectation that i remove all of the .bin files when importing into launchbox? If this is the case and these files don't launch why are they included in the results when importing? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, HeavensCloud said:

I believe all the dreamcast games i have come with multiple file types. Is the expectation that i remove all of the .bin files when importing into launchbox? If this is the case and these files don't launch why are they included in the results when importing? 

Launchbox imports what you tell it to. If you just pointed it to a folder with multiple filetypes in it it wont know which ones specifically to import so will import everything. Just use the explorer search bar to filter your folder for just .gdi files and drag and drop them to Launchbox to import them.

At the end of the day Launchbox is a launcher and can be used to launch anything, it doesnt care what the filetype is, it will simply import whatever you tell it to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...