LaunchBox Community Forums

Mr. RetroLust's - Mame 4K - Lights Out - Realistic Bezels

Mr. RetroLust

Thanks very much for doing these, you've done a fantastic job, my only criticism is the scratches on the screen, it's like the arcade machines came from the rubbish trip lol.

Some requests of games bezels you might of missed

Space harrier

Star Blade

Super Contra

Superman

Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles 1& 2

Tekken

Tempest

Terminator 2

The Simpsons

Tron

twin Cobra

vapor trail

Xmen & and double screen version

Here my tweaked raster.ini

raster.ini

Edited by WrATH
typos.

3 minutes ago, zugswang said:

Did you ever go to a real Arcade in the 80's ?

I think the whole point of his Real Bezel set, is to experience exactly what people played on at an arcade including the scratches etc

There are plenty of other bezels out there without scratches if you prefer those.

I love the scratches, even the wife asked if they were real ?.

• Game On 1

2 hours ago, zugswang said:

Did you ever go to a real Arcade in the 80's ?

I think the whole point of his Real Bezel set, is to experience exactly what people played on at an arcade including the scratches etc

There are plenty of other bezels out there without scratches if you prefer those.

Yes but the scraches are just not a thing on every screen, CRTs were made of glass, some cabinets had a plastic front panel yes where the CRT was set back into the cabinet which helps alot in stopping reflections and light.  People who restore arcade machines don't keep scratces on screens, I'm sure there are some bad cabinets all these years but thats another thing, 40 years of wear sure. I mean if you seen a scratch screen like this in the arcade it would surely be vandalism, arcade machines where kept in good condition, you can't tell me arcade machines where scratched like this in the 80s, these machine were very expensive, somehow you think their screens where scratched to the point of vandalism, maybe your memory isn't what it was. It's an artist choice, I understand that, I could go edit the scratches out myself if I had the time but it's a lot of work.

Edited by WrATH

11 minutes ago, zugswang said:

Plastic screens in particular, even when cleaned over and over caused scratches on them.

Maybe RL himself will explain why he felt scratches were put onto his bezels, but from playing them in the day (every day, all day if possible) I remember how bad they could get.

You must have went to posher arcades than me if they were all pristine and shiny where you were :)

I'm afraid you trying too hard to defend the criticism, realsm doesn't mean scratched, some bezels could be scratched or worn, but ever single one, how is that "realstic"? I wouldn't go to your arcade, I suppose you collect scratched arcade machines because that's how you rememeber them LOL.

22 minutes ago, zugswang said:

I could go edit the scratches out myself if I had the time but it's a lot of work.

Or, use bezels that have no scratches on them, that don't say they are realistic bezels.

Errr, well no, they're different, its why I picked these, I didn't realise every single one had the same scratches. Maybe he/she should have called them realstic scratched bezel packs from grungy arcades of the 80s then.

Just now, zugswang said:

What, the 1000's of FREE bezels RL has given to the community you mean ?

You are embarrassing yourself now mate. I replied to your "shit sandwich" response about the bezels for this reason.

If you can do better then take a few years of your valuable time and create just what you mean for all of us.

Excuse me? It's a bit of critism, I havn't deleted them, I like them, that remark was directed your comment about your arcades with some sarcasm, who do you think you are talking to me like that?

I have always had a preference in graphic design towards the grungy textures. It's the same choice Lucas made with Star Wars (lol), before that Scifi ships where clean as a whistle. The arcades that I went to where dirty as a MFer, in the past and present. These aren't compareable with collectors cabinets. So in the end you could say it's a certain taste that you like or don't, it's all good. :)

• Like 2

I for one don't mind the scratches, and there not on every artwork, if I don't see scratches/reflections, I'm disappointed lol, each and everyone to there own, and maybe in the 80's the  arcades were in better condition, but these artworks are about playing the 80's machines now, and this is what condition some would be in, I've got the new machine looking artworks but I prefer these as its about the artwork complementing the game and as I've said to RL before and I say it again, thanks for these artworks.

• Thanks 1