LaunchBox Community Forums

Mr. RetroLust's - Mame 4K - Lights Out - Realistic Bezels

Mr. RetroLust

Mr. RetroLust's - Mame 4K - Lights Out - Realistic Bezels

View File

Note: This thread will not be pushed to the front in the "whats new" section, if you want notifications for future updates to this file be sure to follow this page by using the follow button in the upper right corner

Part of the "Lights Out - Realistic Bezels" series, for RetroArch bezels in this series see: https://forums.launchbox-app.com/files/file/1950-mr-retrolusts-lights-off-retroarch-bezels/

About:

2000 Realistic bezels in 3840x2160 resolution for MAME. My goal was to make bezels for around 1300 MAME games I had in my collection but I ended up making around 700 bezels more.

I started this project in 2019 and finished it in 2022. I used existing high quality artwork but also cleaned a lot of previously unavailable artwork which @Mr. Do had in his amazing collection. I searched high and low with google images to find existing artwork, which took me to Japanese websites oftenly using google translate and research to get to those obscure images. The quality isn't always as high but I made sure I always used the highest quality I could find. 

Note: These artwork packs are made for older versions of Mame, if you use Mame 0.226 and upwards and find these files don't work right please see this post as you need to have them in a different lay structure: 

NOTE: This original project uses a reflection and scratch layer to add a realistic effect, it defines the style of the project, this is not for everyone. But please don't request "a clean verion" as I haven't kept the layer formats for all these 2000 games, this project is what it is.

==============

Installation:

Place the zip files inside the packs in mame/artwork/ 

Also be sure to curve the screen in Mame effects, you can use the preset files I've included in the downloads but they are for an older version of Mame (0.198) so they might not work on newer versions. To learn more about effects in Mame be sure to read this well: https://docs.mamedev.org/advanced/hlsl.html

==============

Credits:

Most of the artwork used are from the most excellent @Mr. Do & the many team members: http://mrdo.mameworld.info/index.php
For NeoGeo artwork much artwork came from: http://www.neogeosoft.com/
For Flyer artwork the amazing: https://flyers.arcade-museum.com/ and https://www.flyerfever.com/
Some artwork used from: https://www.verticalarcade.com/ which has amazing vertical bezels, be sure to pay them a visit.
Some artwork used from imbord3rlin3: https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/high-resolution-scan-database-scans-as-a-free-service.24725/

Special thanks to the following people, without them this project wouldn't be what it is: @ArsInvictus John Merrit, @Briball @cmgssilva @Orionsangel @Boz1978 @L4ZYD4NE @Manson976 UDb23 @IainSA TheGuru, Smitdogg, CAG, DrVectrex, tbombaci, italie, MAMEWorld, Ad_Enuff, UDb Raspbear, @destrowade @CKL @Thoggo @Antny @Dreamstate Andyaust

Edited by Mr. RetroLust
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, supes123 said:

Hi, What's the most efficient way to install your mame packs? I have mame set up as my emulator (no retroarch), and currently my bezels were downloaded and installed from the Bezel Project - would love to replace them with these!

Download the packs and place the zip files in mame/artwork thats all :)

Just now, supes123 said:

Thanks - but the bezel project files are in different format (yours are 1.png and default.lay, their's are  filename.png, filename.lay). So will end up with two bezels and two .lay files in each folder. Isn't that a problem?

Well you obviously need to delete the bezels you dont want, otherwise you will have to specifically pick the bezel you want for every game once its loaded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi - my when I play the games the bezel images are truncated. I have my windows screen resolution set to 4k (3840x2160) but the screen is chopping off the image. Am I missing a setting somewhere in LB or MAME where I need to set the resolution correctly?

I attach an image of what I am seeing, and another image of what I think I should be seeing to compare. 

Thanks for the help, and sorry if this is a noob question, but I have not been able to find an answer....

1755097056_Screenshot2022-10-10072137.png

gng.JPG.4ec7aa80511364d813e5925b784a7113.jfif

51 minutes ago, gordon99 said:

Hi - my when I play the games the bezel images are truncated. I have my windows screen resolution set to 4k (3840x2160) but the screen is chopping off the image. Am I missing a setting somewhere in LB or MAME where I need to set the resolution correctly?

I attach an image of what I am seeing, and another image of what I think I should be seeing to compare. 

Thanks for the help, and sorry if this is a noob question, but I have not been able to find an answer....

gng.JPG.4ec7aa80511364d813e5925b784a7113.jfif 680.5 kB · 1 download

What I use is an effect in mame to bend the screen, this will help you see more of the screen.

57 minutes ago, gordon99 said:

gng.JPG.4ec7aa80511364d813e5925b784a7113.jfif 680.5 kB · 1 download

You have "artwork crop" on for mame. If you let Launchbox download and setup MAME for you this was added as a command to the command line, just remove that command. I am really not sure why that setting is enabled by default as its ugly and can destroy bezels like this, i personally would have it off as a default, maybe @C-Beats can state why Launchbox defaults to destroying the look of  bezels the user has specifically gone out of there way to add themselves as a default setting?

• Like 1

I'm fairly certain that was put in with the idea that most users would prefer the game itself to be as large as possible on the screen and to have the bezels be used only to fill dead space, instead of the shrinking the game to fit inside the bezel. I personally have to shut that setting off on my cab as well so I do understand it's not a setting EVERYONE will want to use, but it's fairly easy to remove should you want to.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, neil9000 said:

You have "artwork crop" on for mame. 

That does not seem to be the case. I let LB setup my MAME and I have the following in my MAME.ini file

#
# CORE ARTWORK OPTIONS
#
artwork_crop              0
fallback_artwork          
override_artwork

So crop is set to zero. Anything else I am missing? Thanks for your help.

2 minutes ago, gordon99 said:

That does not seem to be the case. I let LB setup my MAME and I have the following in my MAME.ini file

#
# CORE ARTWORK OPTIONS
#
artwork_crop              0
fallback_artwork          
override_artwork

So crop is set to zero. Anything else I am missing? Thanks for your help.

The launchbox command line will override that as its specifically activating that setting when loaded. Go to Tools>Manage>Manage Emulators>MAME and look at the command line there will be a artwork crop section there, delete it and try again.

image.thumb.png.275958fc8fcb538c6c86a951fe8deadd.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1