LaunchBox Community Forums
lou silver

Imported games not saving after restart

1 hour ago, lou silver said:

None of my freshly imported games are saving after I exit and restart Launchbox, any idea why?

Is there any chance in your \Launchbox\Data\Platforms folder you saved backup copies of your platform xml files? If so remove them from there. Launchbox will try to read the backup if it has the platform name in the title of the backup file.

12 minutes ago, SonicFan53 said:

Smart Thing to do: copy them to another directory, then throw the copies in if the originals disappear

None of this is necessary at all. Launchbox backups your data for you. All you are doing is telling people to take extra steps. I would backup though to another drive or cloud.  \Launchbox\Backups is where LB will store backups of your platform data files. There is even an option in the >Launchbox>Tools to manually create backups.

Deleted the backups awhile ago after a few attempts,

things do take in my scratch build though Ive swapped xmls from it but it still

doesnt  save the imported titles on my main build on shutdown, I'm exiting properly also.

yes I can whip up a brand new build and move files was just hoping someone might know a fix before I

go that route thanks

Edited by lou silver

Not going to lie I keep my own backups along with the LB ones especially if you are keeping them on the same drive if the drive fails you still lose your backups.

4 minutes ago, lou silver said:

Deleted the backups awhile ago after a few attempts,

things do take in my scratch build though Ive swapped xmls from it but it still

doesnt  save the imported titles on my main build on shutdown, I'm exiting properly also.

yes I can whip up a brand new build and move files was just hoping someone might know a fix before I

go that route thanks

So are you sharing data files from different builds? Is your data files being stored locally or on a share/cloud?

3 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

So are you sharing data files from different builds? Is your data files being stored locally or on a share/cloud?

Could be that when the .xml's are being copied from another system they are being marked as read only files?

Main build is on a 2tb hd , I do all my game editing work on my smaller ssd based scratch build, Ive swapped xmls out before no problems at all

I added another random rom to another platform also and it didnt take after a restart so I dont think its platform specific , I dont think its a matter of swapping xmls its just Launchbox not updating the xml after restart apparently ,

Edited by lou silver

7 minutes ago, lou silver said:

Main build is on a 2tb hd , I do all my game editing work on my smaller ssd based scratch build, Ive swapped xmls out before no problems at all

I added another random rom to another platform also and it didnt take after a restart so I dont think its platform specific , I dont think its a matter of swapping xmls its just Launchbox not updating the xml after restart apparently ,

Can you post a pic of inside your \Launchbox\Data\Platforms folder? Something seems up with your xml files since they are not saving right.

can download it have a look , dont think anything in there is the issue just gonna do up a fresh build , thanks everyone

its big too big to see everything in one picture , trying to add more games to my Wolfenstein 3d mods set I redid all the video snaps and added 50 more titles,

I added a random rom to the Zinc platform also to rule out it being platform specific and tried a variety of import tactics such as checking the box to allow duplicates during import etc..

Edited by lou silver

Apologies. I did not know the zip was what is in the actual Platforms folder. And well, exactly as I thought. All those platform xml files that have the platforms names in them are the issue. Launchbox is trying to read them all. Even though the names differ, because it contains the platform name it reads them. That is why Launchbox stores them in their own \Backups folder.

That is exactly what I mentioned in my first post. The Platforms folder can not have any xml with the platform name in it other than the primary platform xml. So you to remove all those from there.

Example: AAE.xml is the only one you can have in this folder. All those others have to go.

The \Launchbox\Data\Platforms folder has to be clean like the second image.

Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 12.31.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 12.34.34 PM.png

while I did delete the wolf 3d xmls in the backups folder I forgot about the extra ones in the data/platforms folder, just occurred to me to delete those and leave only one , I'll give it a shot...   annnnd     it worked thanks looks like ive got some cleaning to do ...

Edited by lou silver