LaunchBox Community Forums
Krakerman

Krakerman's LaunchBox/BigBox and RocketLaucher cinematic fade designs and more...

Posted (edited)

Update:

• [Mattel Intellivision] Startup, Shutdown and Pause Theme.

Astrosmash.gif

Astrosmash.gif

Astrosmash.png

Edited by Krakerman
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Update:

• [ColecoVision] Startup, Shutdown and Pause Theme.

Cosmic Avenger.gif

Cosmic Avenger.gif

Cosmic Avenger.png

Edited by Krakerman
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

News!

Well I now have mp4 video startup and shutdown fades working using RocketLauncher and plays smooth compared to using my previous LB method of playing videos. So now I can create animated video fades for LaunchBox/BigBox and much much more as well. I have various RL modules I had coded in the past that I will be going back and updating as well as creating new ones in the future. So many things to create ....

Well after further testing I found the method in which I coded RocketLauncher to work with video fades and the limitations of RL they work just fine as long as the roms do not need to be un-zipped as the delay is too long after the fade plays so for now I will continue but without RL until I can figure a solution.

Which I think for now is ok as these current fades and pause screens work and look just fine just minimalistic which most might prefer anyways over the flashy loading animated screens. Also think many prefer not to use RocketLauncher so with my current method that will not require RocketLauncher.

Update: I just tested to verify that unzipping roms will work with my current theme code and it does and works really good with progress bar while unzipping.

Edited by Krakerman
  • Like 1
  • Unusual Gem 1

Posted (edited)

Update:

• Updated the xaml code adding _default for each platform. So if a game has no custom image, gif or video (currently only available on startup) will use a platform default image.
  • Cleaned up the xaml code and folders for Startup and Pause Themes.

* Note: This has been mainly code cleanup and maintenance to have it ready for when I release it.

Edited by Krakerman
  • Like 1

Amazing work and been waiting a long time for loading screens like this 🙏🏻👍🏻 Can’t wait for this to be finished and appreciate all the work your putting in. Always loved the loading screens in the attached pic and would love to get a start up theme where you could change things for different consoles etc and have different loading screens etc. Defo have a lot to learn personally 🙏🏻☺️

Keep up the good work 

5223F646-A921-470F-AD38-049804F8A1E8.jpeg

• Like 1

News!!!

Today I launched my YouTube Channel!!

There will be my new home for all my work I am showcasing for LaunchBox/Bigbox. Please go there to view all my latest work and creations.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Update:

• [Atari 7800] Bug fixes and other enhancements.

Edited by Krakerman
  • Like 1

Krakerman,

Amazing work and just subscribed to your channel and watching with great appreciation and can’t wait for this to be released 👍🏻😊

Have a few questions and hope you don’t mind 🙏🏻

The yellow loading bar that goes across the screen is it possible to contain that in a loading bar like the one in the pic that I posted??

If so then then you could have the title of the game there.

The loading bar is this in real time while the games unzipping etc?? What do you do for platforms that haven’t got games zipped?? Do you just do a default loading bar for a set amount of seconds??

Is the loading screen fixed or does the artwork change as per game it loads etc?? If fixed I totally understand as the amount of work is huge 👍🏻 But maybe you could include a pdf where people could get it to change per game??

With this it would also mean less work for you if your compiling this per game etc 

Hope you don’t mind my questions and honestly not trying to offend or criticise 🙏🏻 Just amazed at what your doing and I don’t have the skills myself to do anything like this 👍🏻 Hence the new topic I made regarding the default startup theme 🙏🏻😊

Thanks a lot and keep up the amazing work your doing 

Posted (edited)

Hi Johno1980,

Thanks for subscribing!👍

Yes the loading bar is real time so while the game is un-zipping just like any of the other LaunchBox startup themes does. How it works is coded in my own Startup Theme xaml code that I have not released yet. Platforms that do not need to be un-zipped do not have a progress bar. Note that for systems that do have a progress bar I can have different colors for it as well. Artwork for each game could be designed to look however I wanted them too each one could be totally different if I wanted them too or anyone else can create there own to look however they want too. I made both the Startup and Pause themes xaml code to have there own custom folders so all the artwork is organized and easy to setup seperate from how LaunchBox keeps all it's art. I have mine held within the themes folder structure. If you ever used RocketLauncher the folder structure is kinda similar.

Once I do release the theme xaml code anyone can design there own themes using it just like any other theme available.  I like the size of my progress bar and located at the bottom that is how I wanted this theme to look and work  as it is based off several themes that I took inspiration from and wanted my theme to work look and function like RocketLaunchers fades look like. I used to create fades for RocketLauncher and was looking to convert my ideas and fades over to LaunchBox/BigBox without using RocketLauncher of course.

This is a massive project .... However with that in mind I designed it so I can or anyone could create a Default theme as it will look for that first and use that if a game theme is not found basically. It so easy all you do is drop the png image into the correct folder and boom that is what is displayed and it will also work with gifs as well or you could have both gifs and png together which my Atari 2600 theme that I will post soon will demonstrate that feature. It is possible to do video mp4's as well but there is currently an issue with using both videos for startup and shutdown screens but I left the code in so if Jason fixes that in the future it will be possible but for now you could create a video startup screens.

I been working on alternative method to getting video startup and shutdown screens to work and currently is working but need more testing and work to get it to work with platforms that need to unzip. This project is an artist dream as I love this hobby and just enjoy creating the artwork and this gives me that outlet to work my craft and bring back that nostaglia when we were kids growing up playing all these systems.

Hope that answers your questions. 😀

Edited by Krakerman
  • Like 1

Love the work on this. In your converting from RL, have you figured out how to do random shutdown images in LB? Loved how RL would pull a random Game Over image.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Krakerman said:

Hi Johno1980,

Thanks for subscribing!👍

Yes the loading bar is real time so while the game is un-zipping just like any of the other LaunchBox startup themes does. How it works is coded in my own Startup Theme xaml code that I have not released yet. Platforms that do not need to be un-zipped do not have a progress bar. Note that for systems that do have a progress bar I can have different colors for it as well. Artwork for each game could be designed to look however I wanted them too each one could be totally different if I wanted them too or anyone else can create there own to look however they want too. I made both the Startup and Pause themes xaml code to have there own custom folders so all the artwork is organized and easy to setup seperate from how LaunchBox keeps all it's art. I have mine held within the themes folder structure. If you ever used RocketLauncher the folder structure is kinda similar.

Once I do release the theme xaml code anyone can design there own themes using it just like any other theme available.  I like the size of my progress bar and located at the bottom that is how I wanted this theme to look and work  as it is based off several themes that I took inspiration from and wanted my theme to work look and function like RocketLaunchers fades look like. I used to create fades for RocketLauncher and was looking to convert my ideas and fades over to LaunchBox/BigBox without using RocketLauncher of course.

This is a massive project .... However with that in mind I designed it so I can or anyone could create a Default theme as it will look for that first and use that if a game theme is not found basically. It so easy all you do is drop the png image into the correct folder and boom that is what is displayed and it will also work with gifs as well or you could have both gifs and png together which my Atari 2600 theme that I will post soon will demonstrate that feature. It is possible to do video mp4's as well but there is currently an issue with using both videos for startup and shutdown screens but I left the code in so if Jason fixes that in the future it will be possible but for now you could create a video startup screens.

I been working on alternative method to getting video startup and shutdown screens to work and currently is working but need more testing and work to get it to work with platforms that need to unzip. This project is an artist dream as I love this hobby and just enjoy creating the artwork and this gives me that outlet to work my craft and bring back that nostaglia when we were kids growing up playing all these systems.

Hope that answers your questions. 😀

Thanks for your time, reply and totally understand 👍🏻 really nice to have you working on a LB theme and the work you do is always amazing  🙏🏻  trying to stay away from RL myself, mainly as I’ve never really used it personally but love what it can do though just find it complicated for myself  ☺️ 

Hoping that when you release this you might be able to do a text doc/pdf explaining what does what etc and how people can change and edit things. As I’m a total noob but would like to learn and try. 

I’ll let you get to creating 🙏🏻 And really nice to see your passion and your having fun, keep up the amazing work your doing and thanks again 👍🏻😊

Really looking forward to the finished theme 👍🏻🙏🏻😊

Edited by Johno1980
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

NEWS!!

I now have video (mp4) startup and shutdown fades up and running with a working (custom) progress bar per game per platform. This is setup and working with RocketLauncher and also requires VLC to be installed.

I will post a demo video of this working soon!

Edited by Krakerman
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Update:

• [NEC TurboGrafx-CD] RocketLauncher video fade in/out.
  • Added voice support.

Edited by Krakerman