LaunchBox Community Forums

The State of LaunchBox on Android

Just now, cleverest said:

DAMN...I just got a S20 Ultra Note, and was looking forward to exporting to Android from my collection and building a nice set on my 512GB MicroSD, and noticed it didn't have that feature in tools anymore (in 11.6) - DARN IT!

If you had already purchased the android version you can download it still, and it had a importer built in to the app before development was stopped. So you can still use it without the feature to export being in the desktop app still.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all, I wanted to share some news about LaunchBox on Android; I have some good news and some bad news, so I'll start with the bad news. Unfortunately, we will be stopping development on Android for

For casual users, maybe. For anyone who wants better than decent emulation, never. Windows will always be king.

Much agreed, the theme creator is incredible and we're so grateful to @y2guru for it, and all his work. We have actually been collaborating with him quite a bit lately.

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

If you had already purchased the android version you can download it still, and it had a importer built in to the app before development was stopped. So you can still use it without the feature to export being in the desktop app still.

Ahhh yes I do, thankfully...but I enjoyed the wizard/interface and working with it on my PC, but at least it will work...

Is there a Patreon to donate to? Perhaps Jason would be willing to pick this up again if people are willing to pay for it? Would love to see this improved more and more as time goes on....

Is there a Patreon to donate to? Perhaps Jason would be willing to pick this up again if people are willing to pay for it?

There is no patreon and it was a paid app anyway, the issues and why development was halted is more to do with Android itself, as detailed by Jason in the original post of this thread.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

There is no patreon and it was a paid app anyway, the issues and why development was halted is more to do with Android itself, as detailed by Jason in the original post of this thread.

The only drawback I see now with using the existing paid app, is it does not download from the LB database for box art....  😞

How do I load front box image art at least for these titles without that? Do you know? Thanks.

The only drawback I see now with using the existing paid app, is it does not download from the LB database for box art....  😞

That should still work just fine as far as i know, our database hasnt gone anywhere.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

That should still work just fine as far as i know, our database hasnt gone anywhere.

Unless 1943 - *The Battle of Midway on the NES is no longer in the database, it would appear it didn't download (at least via this platform)...

I'm going to try several games next, just wanted to get one working before I bothered...

* Fixed title, I typed attack on midway earlier, oops

Edited by cleverest
2 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

Its the battle for Midway do yo?u have the wrong title so it isn't scraping?

No it's correct, I have it exported from my large 8TB collection, as named and that is scraped perfectly for that platform.

I'm importing all NES games and we will see soon...

Okay, so images are importing fine (Wew!), but 1943 is still having issues, likely because of the colon in the original title.  I fixed this in my desktop 8TB collection....the filename is actually:

1943 - The Battle of Midway (USA).zip

Funny I would have chosen the only game in the entire NES collection I have, the title with the problem, as a test....

Suggestions for renaming this?

Edited by cleverest
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2020 at 8:52 AM, mennogreg said:

I just got myself a Shield, and was thinking of setting up launchbox on there. I own the app on my android phone, but can only sideload apps into the Shield. Any way to do this or do I have to go hunting for an APK on shady sites?

I would just recommend the reset collection frontend at this stage... that's what I use on my shield :)

• 3 months later...
On 4/10/2020 at 12:17 PM, Jason Carr said:

• We've been massively disappointed in the software restrictions on Android. We wanted to be able to run import processes in the background, but that turned out to be impossible due to over-zealous battery-saving restrictions. We wanted to be able to easily allow users to add their own custom emulators, but it turned out to not be easy at all due to Android's poor design for launching other applications. Those are just a couple examples of the restrictions that we're constantly slamming into on Android.
  • Android is *not* an open platform. In fact, Windows is *far* more open than Android. The Google Play Store is really the only viable way to release apps on Android, and red tape is everywhere. The Amazon App Store is also available of course, but both stores have similar issues, and no app can flourish on Android without being in the stores. We have so much more flexibility on the desktop, and for that reason we would much prefer to focus on it.

actually android is the most open main-stream phone distrobution. with android you can release an apk on your site and people can install it on their phone also there are many 3rd party app stores so you can effectively side-step google (unlike apple where you can not do this unless your device is jailbroken.)

to get around some of the hardware limitations you can also get us to run a companion app on windows also you can make a "rooted" version of your app that takes advantage of people who are using a phone with root access. 

cheers

How-to-allow-install-from-unknown-source

Edited by budafuko